New here - researching all I can

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by BBelshan, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BBelshan

BBelshan Member

My cat Beast was recently diagnosed. I'm disappointed I didn't know that dandruff was a symptom of diabetes or I would have taken him in sooner. I thought it was just poor quality food so I switched him to grain free. I have now started switching him to Friskies pate can. He had no noticeable weight loss or gain, but he did have increased thirst and urine output. As I have two cats I wasn't sure which had the issue as my 16 year old spayed female was also drinking more. I took her first as she is easier to handle. She had a UTI, now cleared, but the urine output was the same so I knew it had to be Beast. He is a large cat - needed 2 xray plates to show everything and is 14 lbs. He has always measured 13.5 on home scales. He also had a UTI due to the glucose crystals. The vet prescribed him antibiotics and vetsulin (u-40 - 3 units - 2x). His blood tested at 571. Unfortunately when I mentioned getting a home monitor to test him, the front desk lady said they do not recommend that. They want him in next week to do a glucose curve. I don't mind him getting the curve, but I will be getting a meter at home. I am trying to switch them both to wet food 100% and I don't want him to go into a coma. I have given him one injection so far. It went well I think. He did not run away or cry or fight and was loving after. They tried to sell me syringes (100 for $75) I said I'd look around. They gave me 10 complimentary. They also charged me $75 for the vetsulin and I see you can get it at chewy and Petco for around $50 as long as you have a prescription. Do vets easily give up profit like that? I've been looking through all of the links here. Is there a website people like to go to shop that doesn't break the bank? With his testing, x-rays and first round of meds I am already out $600.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

3. BBelshan

BBelshan Member

Thanks for the link and info. I did see that website when I was looking around. Those do seem to be the exact ones for a much better price. I will check out the video. I've watched a few already. Beast did well for the shot, hopefully he will hold still for the ear prick.

Edit: I had already watched your video earlier today when I was researching! Thanks for sharing.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  4. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to you both! If you have any problems testing, just start a new thread over in Feline Health (http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/ ) so it'll get more eyes on it.

For any questions specific to your insulin, they go here: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/caninsulin-vetsulin-and-n-nph.19/

The only other thing I can add is that the best price for Friskies pate is at Dollar Tree stores, in the large 13oz cans: https://www.dollartree.com/bulk/Friskies-Cat-Food Three of those four are pages. It's a great deal for $1 and you can order online and get them shipped free to your closest store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.