New here, this was recommended to help with my cat, newly diagnosed with diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by fbrunner6, Jul 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fbrunner6

fbrunner6 New Member

I am just learning. Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated. She suddenly became thin Monday &we realized that she lost almost 3 lbs when we drove down to the vet for a weight. He did an in-house blood panel and said her GLU was 337. Told me to change from our current hard food (Meow Mix) to Fancy Feast Can, and to start her on 1unit of Novolin/NPH ever 12hours. He wants to see her back in 2 weeks for a full set of labs to be sent away. (Another $100 yey!!) I haven't started the insulin yet because, after research, Im not quite sure she wont go in to remission, or atleast need a lower dose, simply by changing her diet? I got a OneTouch Glucometer last night and her # was 217 before her dinner at 11pm. It was 190 before breakfast today at 11am and it was 245 after breakfast (2 hours later). I will be taking it again here soon, then giving her dinner. Maybe I will start the insulin tomorrow morning? Not sure what to do yet. I just want to do it right and not rush it. :(

2. fbrunner6

fbrunner6 New Member

I still don't understand the "curve" that everyone talks about trying to get. I'm trying to look now for information on it as well. I'm more of a hands on person. My head can't comprehend tons of articles. :(

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.

The change to Fancy Feast Classic Pates is OK.
    The insulin .... its a pretty harsh one for most cats that only lasts about 6-8 hours per shot, so good control may require a shot every 8 hours.

A curve is serial blood glucose testing from pre-shot to pre-shot, testing every 2 hours. It is much cheaper to do it at home, using an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Confirm or Confirm Micro, or the Target Up and Up.

fbrunner6 likes this.
  4. Chicken'sMom

Chicken'sMom Member

Hi, I am really quite new here to and I am still learning a lot, but my Chicken also lost a lot of weight 4 lbs pretty quickly and her glucose at the vet was 360. She is now on Lantus 2 units every 12 hours and I have switched her food to Purina DM dry food 1/4 cup/day (to share with her brother) if they even get that, trying to wean them off altogether and Proplan grain free chicken and liver can food twice a day. I check her before meals and did take her to the vet to have a glucose curve done but I accidentally fed her before we left the house so I am going to have to reschedule that. I think I will do it once there and then just do it from home, seems like it is something that I could do and save a lot of money.
    Trust me, I know this can seem so overwhelming, but the people on this board are absolutely amazing and if you run into any problems just post your question and they will respond to you...it is so reassuring to know that there is always somebody you can ask a question to. I am really hoping to get my little girl into remission but I know that may not be for quite some time so for right now we will just stay the course and hope she keeps feeling better : ) After a couple weeks you will not feel so overwhelmed and your kitty will like the extra lovins, lol.
    Good luck and you are doing a great job educating yourself and you have come to the right place. You kitty is very lucky to have you. :bighug:

fbrunner6 likes this.
  5. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

I know exactly what you mean! But here, click on the link below for Genghis' SS and go to the tab marked "Genghis Curve". I really didn't "get it" until I did the actual curve. Saved a bunch doing it at home. Ideally, the glucose curve should fall between around 300 (high) and no lower than 50 as a low. That "Lowest" reading could fall anywhere from 4-6 or more hours after your cat eats. Have a look at the graph I made with the numbers I got and if you're like me and a visual person, hopefully it will make sense. Please feel free to ask any questions and be sure to read the articles on how to proceed. BTW, make sure you look at the US spreadsheet - I'm in Canada and we use a different reading system.

Also, I've been told that a good diet change can lower her BG (Blood Glucose) by as much as 100 or more points; also keep in mind that stress at the vet's can often make your cat throw higher than usual readings. It is so wonderful you are doing home testing!! Head over to the main board section for any questions, read the great articles here, keep testing!

fbrunner6 and Chicken'sMom like this.
  6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

For some more reading on feline nutrition, pop over to Cat Info

fbrunner6 and Chicken'sMom like this.
  7. Deborah Willis

Deborah Willis New Member

My guy was diagnosed about 8 months ago. I switched to Fancy Feast Fish and Shrimp Flaked which has NO
    carbs. He gets 1 can twice a day, but seems hungry all the time. Have not tested at home yet.

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

An unregulated diabetic can't use the food he eats, thus the hunger.

When you have a moment, could you add a few tidbits to your signature? It will help us give you feedback.

Editing your Signature

In the upper right corner of the screen, within the dark blue bar, you will see ID, Inbox, and Alerts

Click on your ID.

On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature.
    This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback.
    This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
    Add any other text, such as
    your name,
    cat's name,
    date of Dx (diagnosis)
    insulin
    meter
    general location (city and state/province)
    any other pertinent issues like if there are any food issues, history of DKA, hepatic lipidosis, pancreatitis, allergies, IBD, etc.
    Click the Save Changes button at the bottom.

Always click the Save Changes button at the bottom when you have changed anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.