New Here

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by My cat Mal, Sep 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My cat Mal

My cat Mal Member

Hi,
    Well finally got to the vet for diagnosis I knew was very likely. mal is doing pretty well but it is scary to be sorting this out. He is 12 now. Needless to say I am worried about our cat as well as exspenses. I know he deserves our best efforts. Glad my vet reccomended this group, I am sure we will find lots of help, thank you!

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to the FDMB!! This is the best place you never wanted to be!! (We'd love to know your name too!)

The first big step is food....Mal needs to be on a low carb canned or raw diet (no kibble!) and you may see his numbers improve immediately.....and you don't need to buy any of that overpriced "prescription" food either....Most of us here feed Fancy Feast Classics, Friskies pates or 9-Lives ground foods!

The next big step is to learn how to home test. I know it sounds scary but it's really not and everybody here does it! It's really the only way to keep your kitty safe as well as knowing how he's responding to the insulin. It's just plain dangerous to give a hormone like insulin without testing! If you had a child and your pediatrician told you to give them insulin without testing, they'd be guilty of malpractice...It's the same with our sugarcats!!

We can help you learn how too!

If you live in the US, WalMart has the Relion Confirm or Micro meter and they're favorites around here. They're also affordable...they make "pet only" meters, but they cost a LOT with the replacement strips being about $1 each!

Don't let your vet convince you that you don't need to test or that you need to use a special meter....there are hundreds of others here that use human meters and we're doing great!

There's a lot of information we have to share but I don't want to overwhelm you all at once. Please ask any questions you may have over on the Health Board and let's get you started on the most interesting and fulfilling journey you'll ever take.....Caring for a sugarcat!!

We also have learned how to stretch a nickel into a dollar around here so let us help you learn what you can do to save money....as well as your "extra sweet" kitty's life!

3. My cat Mal

My cat Mal Member

Thank you! Even with your reassurance I am a little freaked out though. I will man up, just a bit overwhelmed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.