new here

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ladysown, Jan 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ladysown

ladysown New Member

Have a 10 year old cat diagnosed with diabetes.

Looking into doing a homemade diet with him.
    Wondering about how to test blood sugars at home with him. human glucometers work okay? Yes or no?

anyways, it's a bit of a learning curve so any help given is appreciated.

Canadian household.

2. alexthecat

alexthecat Member

Welcome! Lots of people use human glucometers. I'm in the US, so I'm not familiar with which models are available in Canada. Someone else will be along to advise you on that.

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB. I'm glad you found the board and can begin to learn how to better take care of your sugar cat. :cat:
    I was just reading a thread about a meter that some of the Canadian members use, and noted that one member did mention that strips are expensive in Canada. I'm in the US and strips are more reasonably priced here, but insulin is very much more expensive than in Canada. Such essential health supplies and such differences!
    Most of us use human meters simply because of the higher cost of strips for the pet meters. Home testing is one of the best tools you have to track how the insulin is working and to help prevent a life threatening hypo event. I'm glad you are going to home test to protect your kitty.
    If you will start a thread in the Main Health forum, you are going to get more eyes on your questions, issues and concerns: HERE
    We have several Canadian members that can advise you on meters and strips, as well as a homemade diet. And please tell us more about your kitty, we can help with diet, insulin, home testing information and support.
    Please take some time to look over the information in the following link, it's a place for beginners to start learning about feline diabetes and treatment. http://www.felinediabetes.com/fdmb-faq.htm
    Best wishes going forward :)

4. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Welcome! You will find a lot of knowledgable pet parents here and it is great support to help you to help your cat.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.