New here

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Julia frances, Mar 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julia frances

Julia frances New Member

hello! We just recently (within about 2 months) got our sweet orange tabby Dobby on insulin and he was doing much better until I noticed he had symptoms of a UTI. I took him in thinking his glucose level would be super low considering he hadn’t eaten but had his insulin (I know to wait now if he doesn’t eat) but it was close to 600! The next day it was 30. He stayed at the vet to get fluids and came home that day. Since then I got a glucometer and have been trying to figure out the right dosage. This saga began a week and a half ago. We have two cats and have finally gotten them to figure out what scheduled feeding looks like. They are happy about wet food all the time though lol especially out big girl stitch the Norwegian forest cat. So I know the feeding so Will help a lot with getting things normalized. He was on 3 units twice a day of Prozinc and now 2 twice a day. How long does it take after a UTI to figure out levels again? When should I do another curve? I know that is a lot and all over the place but happy to have found this forum! Dobby is about 6 years old and I saved him from a Dobermans mouth when I was dog sitting. He was a feral 2 week old kitten with a broken jaw and he chose me as his person so I’ve been doing the majority of everything diabetes related since he lets me and still purrs when I have to poke and prod. He also has started pulling his hair out at the base of his tail. No fleas, is it stress?? 0B037BB2-702B-44E2-AE00-2DF21A21FFBC.jpeg EDBCA847-A401-4E51-98D2-8853633C16B0.jpeg 5653E841-6A98-47AE-A6D4-D6051DC86BBD.jpeg BCEB568B-3E85-4C90-B984-892AACE2B864.jpeg

2. Erin & Scott

Erin & Scott Member

Welcome! I don't have experience with either UTIs or ProZinc, so I'll let others comment on those specific questions. But if you're doing home testing, you can do a curve any time you want more information about how he's responding to insulin - there is no right or wrong answer to that question. It sounds like you're on the right track!

Is the black kitty your Wegie? She is a beautiful girl!

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to FDMB. You are in the right place to get some help and advice on helping Dobby feel better.
    First, will you create your signature so that Dobby's pertinent information is available with your posts.
    (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the time zone matters)
    2. Another thing that will help us help you since you are BG testing at home is to set up a spreadsheet like the one we use here. We can all see it and look at it before offering advice:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/
    I suggest you visit the Prozinc forum, read the stickies at the top of the page and post there for advice on the insulin dosage and when you might attempt a curve. They will be your best resource in that direction. (If you can plug in whatever testing data you have into the spreadsheet, that will be very helpful to the advising members.)
    Your furkids are marvelous, and it looks like they get along pretty well!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.