New IBD Steroid-Induced Diabetes Diagnosis Would love Help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ben Ragen, Oct 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Ragen

Ben Ragen New Member

I just found out that my cat Marcel (age 8) has just been diagnosed with diabetes. He had been dealing with gastrointestinal issues his entire life ever since I got him at 6 months old. His bowl movements ranged from pure liquid to soft, bloody stool. After trying practically everything, he was diagnosed with IBD and put on a combination of prednisilone and metranitazole which finally helped and he was no longer having bloody diarrhea around the house. Unfortunately, after a year of being on the prednisilone he finally developed diabetes.

I am meeting with the vet tomorrow to have my first talk about insulin and diet. His weight and everything else was perfect, so it is just really frustrating that while I was doing the best to improve my cat's help, I ended up giving him diabetes :( I am trying hard not to blame myself.

The vet still has a lot of info to share. She did say that there may be the possibility of remission in 6 months.

Is there anyone out there who has had a similar experience with steroid-induced diabetes and what their path has been. Any suggestions or hopes? How much will my normal life be altered. Suggestions on cat sitters vs boarding?

At the moment it feels like just Marcel and I are in this situation and anything would help.

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Hello!

Your story is the same as mine. Until his latest episode...he did very well. What dose of pred is Marcel on? Have you considered trying budesonide instead of pred? It doesn't cause diabetes as much as pred.

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

There have been several members over the years whose cats developed diabetes as a result of steroids. It is possible for a steroid induced diabetic to either be tightly regulated or go into remission. However, your cat may need to be off steroids -- there's no way to know. If steroids are necessary to keep the IBD under control, the good news is that you will be able to adjust the insulin dose in order to keep blood glucose numbers in a good range.

4. Ben Ragen

Ben Ragen New Member

Thanks. He is currently on pred and metranitazole. A year ago he started at 10 mg twice per day and in the past 4 months he was at .125 mg once a day. The metranidazole is the drug that seems to work better so I am hoping that I can get him off the pred. I am seeing the vet today to figure out the whole process. She did say that there is the possibility of remission in 6 months if he gets on the right diet, and I administer the insulin timely. Marcel is awesome in that it is so easy to give him any medication including injections. My main concern is whether I will be able to give him the insulin exactly 12 hours apart.

I just joined and I am thankful for such quick responses. Marcel is 8 and had undiagnosed/untreated IBD since he was a kitten and always had bloody diarrhea which is why the pred and metranitzole were magical. I keep having these thoughts that it is my fault that I gave him the diabetes. I know it's irrational but since I just found out about his diagnosis I do feel really guilty.

5. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Don't feel guilty. You did what was best for Marcel at the time. Sometimes the cure for one ailment, brings on another. I think it's safe to say that even knowing the possibility of developing diabetes, most of here would have given in to the prednisolone given Marcel's long history of IBD. We have members who have had to bite the bullet and use pred for other ailments despite knowing their kitty has diabetes. You have to deal with each issue as it comes along and in the best interest of your cat and that's exactly what you did.

Not sure if your vet discussed the type of insulin she intends to prescribe. ProZinc provides a bit more flexibility on the 12 hour schedule than Lantus or Levemir. I would discuss your scheduling issues with your vet and see what she advises and of course we are here to help in any way we can. :)

6. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

My diabetic cat is on budesonide for IBD. The ibd has improved but it brought back her need for insulin. She went into remission (for a few weeks) but she had to be put on the steroid. I was hoping her blood glucose would not raise, as many have said there’s didn’t with the budesonide. I have repeated this saying here many times... a cat needs what a cat needs. It’s not your fault whatsoever- you were just giving Marcel the treatment he needed! Read all the stickies (notes at the top of the forums) for the knowledge and ask questions. It will be ok & I applaud you for caring so much... I’m hoping Baby will be weaned off the steroid soon but if not; I’ll just deal with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.