New-ish- Need help!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Haley&Diane, Jul 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haley&Diane

Haley&Diane Member

Hi. I originally made this account four years ago when my cat was diagnosed after receiving a steroid shot that kicked her pre-diabetes straight into diabetes.

I received bad advice over the years, and never did start her on insulin. The reason is because 1) no vet told me the chances of remission were so high & 2) I was told that since she was clinical and her levels were staying between 220 and 350, with no ketones, and no other signs of diabetes that she was being managed well enough on food alone. Her levels across blood work were also always fines with the exception of glucose of course.

Fast forward 4 years to now, and I just had her bloodwork done again. She is about 10 years old (maybe older....she was adopted as an adult). Her liver values are very slightly elevated which we suspect is secondary to the diabetes. We have a new vet now and she suggests we start insulin. She suggested vetsulin, since she thinks the chances of remission are slim to none since the cells are likely permanently damaged to the point that remission will never be possible. BUT since there is a tiny chance, we're going to move forward with Lantus to see how it goes. I know remission is very unlikely but figured it's worth a shot.

I had been feeding her purina dm twice a day, but now have switched back to fancy feast pates. She only ever gets 1/8 cup of purina dm. Her weight is normal and has stayed the same for years, and her coat is soft and shiny. I honestly wouldn't be able to pick up on her diabetes if I didn't know she had it already.

We're planning on starting insulin by the end of the month. I will likely be here with lots of questions so hopefully you all will be patient as I navigate! I already have a glucose reader (relion and alphatrak) and have given insulin shots in the past (used to work at a boarding facility...it's been a while though).

First question I have, which I thought would be easy to figure out but hasn't proven to be.....what types of insulin needles/syringes do you all use? I plan to order Lantus from Canada. Going to start with one pen while we figure out her dosage (starting at 1 unit twice a day). Her levels usually stay around 375 nowadays without insulin.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! I'm sorry you got some bad advice in the past, but I am glad your baby will finally be getting insulin. Lantus is much longer lasting than Vetsulin, so good choice. Be sure to get U-100 syringes with 1/2 unit markings. People have different favorite brands. Mine is Monoject. ADWDiabetes.com is a good place to buy syringes.

Post any questions you have on the main health forum.

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Haley and Diane. It's great that you have the signature and spreadsheet set up and are prepared to home test the blood sugar. I hope there is a chance of remission, but I'm not experienced enough in that regard to offer an opinion. Still will have my fingers crossed for Diane.

To get some input on what kind of syringes you can use and where to find them, please post in the Main Health forum HERE so that more members can read and respond. There are many brands, different needle lengths etc, but I do know you will want U-100 syringes with 1/2 Unit markings.

Please visit the Lantus forum and read the yellow tagged "stickies" at the top of the page. You will have a bit of a head start then when you get the insulin and begin injections.

4. Haley&Diane

Haley&Diane Member

Thank you both! This board has already been fantastic with all of my questions! I'll definitely start reading up on the stickies on the lantus forum.

5. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Just a quick welcome to you and Diane! We'll see you on the Lantus&Levemir Forum!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.