New job! Schedule questions

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Caitlin M, Mar 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caitlin M

Caitlin M Well-Known Member

Ugh, be careful what I wish for. +3 gave a 71 :arghh:. And he's starting to perk his head up/away when I try to test again. So a little bruising is bothering him. Sh*t. What should I do from here?

2. Caitlin M

And I feel like a jerk for maybe being too aggressive with his pm dosing.

3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I think that both the 251 and especially the 321 are bounces from going too low. I really think you need to be lowering his dose right now, not raising it. I don't think you should be dosing from the pre-shots, but rather from the nadirs. I know it's really difficult to get those with your new work schedule, so you may need to pick a safer, lower dose, and just wait for the weekend to find out if it's right.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  4. Djamila

This whole thing is so tricky...and a bit of a guessing game. You definitely don't need to feel like a jerk!

Caitlin M likes this.
  5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

At +3 he's already at 71. Maybe give him a very small snack of his regular food to slow his descent.

Caitlin M likes this.
  6. Caitlin M

I agree. I only wish I had been able to read that myself and understand before. Hopefully this will be a good teaching moment. Thank you.
    I do but I know I shouldn't. Thanks :oops:
    I'll do that and try my best to get a +5 or so.

Obviously at this point I will shoot a smaller dose regardless of a possible higher AMPS again.

Djamila likes this.
  7. Caitlin M

Any suggestions on possible am dosing? I'm thinking maybe a 1 or 1.2 u so long as I get a shootable #.

Djamila likes this.
  8. Kris & Teasel

Either one could work. If you can get a test every evening before bed on work days and extras on weekends it would be helpful.

9. Caitlin M

Yes I'll start doing a before bed test. I'm frustrated because I just did the curve last weekend and feel like I should have realized his nadir seems to be earlier now. I was planning to get more tests this weekend so that's now definitely set in stone.

10. Djamila

I think those are good doses. When you did the curve this past weekend, your notes say he had a snack at noon. Which hour was that? +5? +6?

11. Caitlin M

The feeder had been opening every day at about +6 but this weekend they didn't see/eat it until about +6.5, so right in the half of the 13 hours.

12. Caitlin M

Sorry, noon would have been +7 at that point. I wanted to see how long it took them to realize there was food available instead of stepping in. I can set it for +4 tomorrow...?

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  13. Djamila

I was just thinking about dose - it looks like during the curve he went to 62, but then came back up a little on his own - without the snack. So you could probably do 1.2 or 1.4 during the day, but it looks like at night he *might* be reacting more (many cats go lower at night), so maybe 1 or 1.2 at night. The 1.2 might have been too much last night though - it's just hard to tell for sure. Oh, if only we had a crystal ball...

Caitlin M likes this.
  14. Caitlin M

Thank you! That all makes sense and is a great observation! Im going to do a +5.5 since he had a small snack tonight. I'm also laying here petting him and apologizing.

Yong & Maury GA and Djamila like this.
  15. Djamila

Sending you hugs! I'm having a little dosing regret tonight myself! I don't know too many cats who mind a little extra attention and food. I'm sure Pita is lovin' life right now!

Caitlin M likes this.
  16. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Might want to start a new thread, Caitlin :)

17. Djamila

Hey Caitlin, just saw the 52. He's close to nadir, so you might give a little bit of HC, but don't go overboard.

18. Caitlin M

Well hi! I just gave a bit of his wet food again so I'm hoping that's enough. Thanks for checking in. And I'll start a new thread tomorrow :)

Djamila likes this.
  19. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Those exciting nighttime numbers! At least it's almost the weekend.

Caitlin M likes this.
  20. Yong & Maury GA

Last comment on this topic lol. Figured I would share my experiment ;) 11 April, I gave Maury some MC food instead of immediately grabbing the HC food. It worked out pretty well and he didn't seem to bounce as high for next PS :cat:

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  21. Djamila

I agree with that, but I think it does depend on where the cat is in the cycle. If it's at/very close to nadir, and the number is just close to 50....not below....then the HC food is more than is needed. But if you're trying to sleep, and nadir is still over an hour away, then HC can be your friend.

22. Caitlin M

What do you guys use for MC food vs HC? I just have the Friskies pate, and Nature's Variety dry food for testing treats. I also have the Gravy FF and some other HC treats in case of hypo.

23. Yong & Maury GA

Right! I could have added that he still had around 2 hours til nadir so you didn't have to look at SS :smuggrin:. I agree with Djamila though when nadir is still an hour or more away and you need sleep, or have to leave, the HC can be your friend :D

Caitlin M likes this.
  24. Djamila

I don't have MC food. I just have HC or LC. I suppose you could mix a little of each? ;)

I think what you did last night was fine. Or maybe give some regular food and a bit extra of the NV dry food (that's higher carb, isn't it?)

25. Yong & Maury GA

I think I'm the main one who uses MC foods. Although I've been trying to do LC pate for meals and MC for his "lunch". I have to follow Maury around with the meal dish so he'll eat most of it, he really is not fond of pate :rolleyes:. These are the MC foods I get: First calculation is mine and second is value from Dr. Lisa's food chart.

14% | 13% - Friskies Meaty Bits Chicken Dinner 261

14% | 14% - Friskies Meaty Bits Beef 260

14% | 13% - Friskies Meaty Bits Gourmet Grill 262

13.6% | 12% - Friskies Concoctions Chicken in Creamy Crab sauce 253

13.6% | 12% - Friskies Concoctions Lamb in Clam sauce 250

11% | 13% - Friskies Shreds Chicken in Gravy 305

11.1% | 13% - Friskies Shreds Turkey & Giblets in Gravy 306

11.1% | 14% - Friskies Shreds Beef in Gravy 320

26. Caitlin M

Yes last night I just gave the regular Friskies and I think it was ok. Thanks! It's actually not very HC according to some charts I've found. It's what I give him every test so I hope it's not too high!

27. Yong & Maury GA

I apparently lied about #220 being my last post here :p

28. Caitlin M

I just figure until I have a whole new topic I don't make a new thread. But maybe that's wrong? I can't even see the post #'s on my cell

29. Kris & Teasel

When I want MC I just mix half LC and half HC.

30. Kris & Teasel

Usually as number of posts edges up toward 100 a new thread is a good idea. Makes it easier for us to find things.

31. Djamila

Since you can't see the post numbers.....We're now at #231 :)

32. Caitlin M

Perfect thanks!
    Ah ha, good to know. Ok, I'm done for now! If anything pops up I'll do a new one. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.