New kittens & 1st vet check --What should I ask the Dr?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MommaOfMuse, Jul 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

This may sound strange from someone that lives with 8 now 10 civies. But it has been ages since I have had two little bitties in the house. This past Thursday we adopted Duvessa and Elektra and are getting ready to take them for their first vet visit. What should I make sure they check on these girls?

The reason I'm especially worried is due to their birth. You see our friends that were caring for their mother as part of a feral colony found them March 20 2010 during a snowstorm laying on the sidewalk just shortly after their momma had them but they were cold and not moving. They scooped them up, rushed them in the house and began rubbing them while warming them gently with a blow dryer. The whole litter pulled through and our girls are happy and active as any kitten. But is there anything because of the still birth that I should have the vet watch for?

Just want to make sure our baby girls get the best possible start, after fighting so hard to survive a rocky birth.

Mel & Muse (GA)

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Congratulations. If they were mine I would If not already done):
    - have them tested for FeLV and FIV
    - have then dewormed (might want to test for parasites in there feces to ensure using the right deworming med)
    - get their first dose of the combo RCP vaccine
    - Get rabies shot if old enough
    - Get them microchipped?
    - check for fleas (you can do that)
    - general physical exam

Regarding the "still" birth, since they are normal I do not know what to do but I would inform the vet.

3. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Sounds like I haven't forgotten that much...lol Already know they are negative. Al & Jen (the rescuers had them tested and have their colony fully UTD on shots).

I've already treated them for a light case of ear mites.

Then was planning on just the normal routine stuffs at the vet's Kitten shots, wormer, general physical and of course microchipping learned a long time ago that it is worth its weight in gold. =) And I always try to tell my vet everything I know about my motley crew, sometimes they don't listen, but I tell them.

Just never had 1 let alone 2 that had been still born and then revived, so with all the years of experience on this board thought I would double check. Just to make sure that if there is something that might need to be checked and isn't done or suggested by the vet I can ask for it done.

Mel & Muse (GA)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.