New kitty is an undiagnosed diabetic. Maybe.

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Tina and Gracie (GA), Mar 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Tina and Gracie (GA) Member

I have a new feline coming into Gracie's territory tomorrow morning bright and early.

I asked for labs to be sent to me, and Gabby (new kitty) Glucose is elevated. She was higher than Gracie when Dx. Gabby's was 465. I'm really surprised she wasn't labeled as a diabetic. Maybe stress? She did have stomatitis, and I'm thinking labs were possibly done during that time.

I asked the foster mom and she said the vet didn't mention anything and said labs looked good.

I plan on doing the transition--keeping them separate and transiting her food. She is currently on dry food and FF shreds. So many changes for Gabby.

This is probably a dumb question--but can I try to introduce them prior to splitting the up & see how it goes? :rolleyes:

Also, with so many changes I don't want Gabby to stress out from all the changes (new environment, food, litter). What is most important and in what order?

And how soon is a vet visit in order? Should I let her get comfortable first?

PS: She is missing all by 4 teeth. I don't know how she eats dry.

@FurBabiesMama @Kris & Teasel @Djamila @Rachel

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Re introductions: I haven't done this in forever but one thing I've read is to put one in the carrier while the other is loose to sniff around for a while then switch them up. That way they can eyeball each other without possibly getting into a tussle. Maybe newbie in her own room overnight (or when you're out) with litter/food/water until they're more used to each other.

Re food: I'd hold off on Gabby's food switch for a bit. She'll be discombobulated enough with her new home and kitty friend. You don't want a GI upset on top of that.

Re vet: What do you know of her medical history? Vaccinations up to date? No transmissible health issues like a kitty cold, etc.? If no concerns there, maybe let her settle in for a week or so before adding vet stress.

My two cents ...

3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Yes to what Kris said. :)

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  4. Djamila

Oh, and if you're going to let her keep the kibble for a few days, be very very very very very very careful to keep every last crumb away from Ms. Gracie. Especially since her numbers are a bit wobbly right now.

Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
  5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Also, yes to what Kris said. :D

It has been so long since I have had to introduce a new cat, but I when I did, I did not spring them on each other all at once. I put the newbie in a room with litter, food, water, and let him/her stay there a couple of days. That way, the cats can get used to at least smelling each other for a little while. Then, I introduced them to each other gradually. I have had it go really easy where they were instantly okay with each other, and I have had it not go so well where there was hissing and such and things had to be done more gradually.

Share a photo when you get the new baby.

6. Tina and Gracie (GA)

So much anticipation.

She allegedly has a clean bill up health and up to date on current vaccines. She was the runt of the litter. She is half the size of big 'ol 13.3lb Gracie. On a current flea medication.

Stomatitis is the only known health concern.

7. Tina and Gracie (GA)

The only other concern is Gracie is smart. She tries to get the door open and sometimes she does. I took off Sunday night, but have to be gone all day Sunday from 7a-9pm, then again Monday morning for a CPR renewal class....then I'll be home for a couple hours then gone again from 3pm till Tuesday 9am.

My only what if fear is...what if she gets in...Gabby is probably going to be scared sh*tless. That is the only reason I asked about just introducing them without a separation.

8. Djamila

Do you know how she opens the doors? Does she stand up on her back legs and turn the handle? Or does the door not latch tight enough and she just pushes it? If you know how she gets in, you can probably figure out a way to block her - tie a scarf around the handle? Put a chair in front of it? Duct tape? Duct tape fixes everything, doesn't it? ;)

9. Tina and Gracie (GA)

I can't tell if I'm talking to my step-mom, or Djamila right now. The duct tape comment is something she would say, and has said....numerous times.

I have seen her get on her back legs and turn the handle--it takes her a few tries, but if she is persistent she gets it open. I think that is only part of the problem--the latch is definitely not tight enough. I'll figure it out... your suggestions almost seemed to obvious. I like the scarf idea!

She also tends to get her paws under the door...not sure if that could get the door open some mysterious way. I just know she hates closed doors.

Djamila likes this.
  10. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

As long as you secure the door so she cannot actually open it, putting her paws under it might be a good thing. They can start to play with each other under the door. :D

Rachel, Kris & Teasel and Djamila like this.
  11. Tina and Gracie (GA)

She has arrived. And hiding. IMG_0766 2.JPG

12. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I just went through this. Olive arrived from Canada an 7+ hour car trip for her. No insulin the morning off so new she would be high and hungry as food I think was limited but not sure. I have 3 cats already. One who doesn't like the others at all and stays at her choice in our closet or basement. Tux is our welcome wagon ambassador. PJ unsure and very leary.

Olive we put in spare room immediately and she ate and curled up in the corner of the room and stayed there all night. In the morning hubby opened door and she got by him. Came face to face with Tux. Olive hissed and growled but kept walking. PJ hid under recliner chair. We left her out for a few hours and then confined her again and for the night. This went on for a few days. PJ started staying in the threshold of living room to watch from a distance. Olive would only walk down hall to kitchen never ventured into other rooms. Tux would be nearby. Olive always growled and hissed when just seeing them. Never aggressive towards them. 3 weeks in they eat near each other. No more growling. Occasional hisses from Olive. They will walk by each other without incident. They are working it out themselves, lucky it's just hissing and growling. Tripper continues to hide from all but she did that before anyways.

Djamila and Kris & Teasel like this.
  13. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Noah has the worst teeth ever but I still catch him nibbling on kibble. That makes no sense at all. I agree completely on the protocols for introducing a new cat but in 40 years I've never had a problem. Coming home after surgery? Zooming up and down the stairs! Strange new smells? Mmmm, smells good! We live at the corner of KooKoo Corners and Dysfunction Junction. And bringing a puppy home to nine cats was just a hoot. Good luck! :rolleyes: (you might not need any)

Djamila likes this.
  14. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

She's sweet! :) How old is she?

15. Tina and Gracie (GA)

They think about 4YO

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  16. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Eh. I didn't separate them at first. It just looked like Gracie was going to stare from afar....she would inch up then back away. Then inch up and back away. Eventually she got real close and made an awful noise (hissing). Something I have NEVER seen her do. Scared the **** out of me.

I split them up. I'm guessing new kitty will hide for a few days. She has food, water and a clean litter box--neither have been touched. She currently does NOT want to be

17. Tina and Gracie (GA)

Wow. What a car ride! It's hard for me to drive more than 4 hours. Normally that is my cut off--anything after that I'll fly.

Well, ultimately...if Gracie is miserable or not happy I won't be able to keep new kitty, as selfish as that sounds Gracie is priorty. They 2 must get along--or it simply won't work. I will do everything I am capable of to help it work out.

I also don't want Gabby (new kitty) miserable either. I don't want her feeling like she has to hide all the time.

The rescue I got her from is really great. They have a 2 week trial before they adoption is "final". They have also made it very clear that if for any reason it doesn't work out then to let them know and they'll come get her...even after the adoption is final. Very comforting--to know she will at least be safe if it doesn't work out.

Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
  18. Tina and Gracie (GA)

How many teeth does Noah have?

Koo Koo Corners and Dysfunction Junction . LOL LOL

How the heck did you manage bringing home the puppy to 9 cats?!? I can only imagine all of their tails all puffed out.

19. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Volunteers take 1 - 1 1/2 hr legs of the drive and meet up with next driver and hand her off. Almost like a relay. From start to finish. So I drove a little over an hr. Met with driver transferred her to my car and I drove the 1 hr home. It was such a stressful day. Not knowing if she would get stopped at the border, worrying drivers might hit bad weather, it was one month ago (weather for Canada and the eastern states is unpredictable right now) traffic etc. Keeping track of the handoffs. Think I wore a hole in the carpet from pacing until it was my turn.

It could take more than 2 weeks for them to adjust. It's only been a month for us but there is still some hissing. But none of them have attacked the other, so it will just take time. They are tolerating each other.

Magic Johnson likes this.
  20. Tina and Gracie (GA)

I've heard of a system like that before. Glad there are people out there with the availability to help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.