New Lantus User

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Michelle & Scrabble (GA), Feb 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi all, just started my Scrabble on lantus today (1 unit twice a day). Gave him his first shot a few minutes ago (hope I did it right!) and am taking him to the vets tomorrow to do a test. I am having a wonderful woman that I met on here come over and show me how to home test so I look forward to doing that! I don't want to be dragging my poor baby to the vets to do tests! Any advice/help anyone could give me would be appreciated! I am so nervous about everything right now and afraid of hurting my cat! I will figure out the spreadsheet thing too so I can get up to speed on that!
    Thanks
    Michelle & Scrabble

2. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Welcome Michelle!!!! :YMHUG: Is Scrabble a newly diagnosed sugarbaby or are you just switching to Lantus? Don't worry you are going to get sooo much information, support and help here that you will become overwhelmed. But don't worry, the learning curve is pretty short :mrgreen:

Let's see....
    Do you have a glucometer yet?
    Please read all the stickies at the top of Lantus Land and then read them again, :lol:

I am a newbie myself so I will leave all the other stuff to the more experiences peeps.

3. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

HI yes I am newly diagnosed! I feel so info overloaded right now because I have read so much! How are u doing with everything? How long has your cat been on it?
    Thanks Michelle & Scrabble

4. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Oh and yes I did buy a glucometer. I have a woman that I met on here coming over tomorrow to teach me how to use it!

5. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

I'm glad you're having someone come by to help you get started. You'll be up to speed in no time. I hope she can help you get your spreadsheet set up, too, you'll see how we depend on those to see what's going on with your kitty.

I think Lantus is a good choice. Did your vet give you any of Scrabble's BG information?

I know you were also considering diet changes.

Scrabble is lucky to have you.

6. paige

paige Well-Known Member

My Webber was diagnosed Dec 23rd 2009. We started Lantus on January 6th and he is currently on day 3 of a 14 trial period of getting off the insulin. We were very lucky though. You will learn so much here.

I was a nervous wreck when I started the whole thing. Everything you are feeling, thinking and asking is something that all of us have already been through. There are people from all over the world on the support group----it is truely amazing!!! I never would have been able to do all of this without this board.

Read as much as you can and ask as many questions as you can. No question is a stupid question, and alot of times we learn from each others questions. There are alot of people on here that have experience with Feline Diabetes day in and day out. THey have many years under their belt and are wonderful at offering advice.

First off---did you get a vial of Lantus or the cartidges/pens? Do not mix the Lantus or shake it. What type of syringes do you have?

Tell me about Scrabble? How much does he weigh? What are you feeding? Everyone here will strongly advise that a diabetic cat should be on wet food only and no dry kibble.

7. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Everyone here follow's the TIlly Protocol: http://www.tillydiabetes.net/en_6_protocol2.htm Read this and become familiar with it. But don't worry, there will always be someone here for you through each phase. :mrgreen:

Here is another link that you will want to check out if you have not already. It is one of the stickies at the top of Lantus Land (aka-LL): New to the group, please read

To set up your profile and Spreadsheet check out this link: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=364 It is under Tech Support Group.

So have I made things even worse now??? :lol: Just kidding. It will all come with time. I would suggest you set up Scrabbles spreadsheet first so that others can see where your numbers are. The AMPS=AM Pre Shot Blood Glucose Level. The PMPS=PM Pre Shot Blood Glucose.

8. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Links to Health forum threads
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6018
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5994
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6033
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5900
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5896

Hi Michelle! Glad u made it over to the Lantus forum with Scrabble!

Just a little background from this morning in Health and the other threads -
    Michelle has been busy getting info from the board!

Michelle, can u confirm the following info found in your health forum threads:

Scrabble: 13 years old, 14 1/2 pounds, began on 2u of NPH, eating Friskies wet, and some dry food, tonight first shot on Lantus 1u, not home testing yet, you have a Relion Micro meter that Sherry, one of our members is going to help you with tomorrow.

So Michelle, couple of things, you are going to need a spreadsheet, if Sherry has a chance to show you how to set one up, here is the link from the TECH forum:
    viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16

eventually you will want to create a Profile, again, using Google documents, here is the link from TECH forum How To:
    viewtopic.php?f=6&t=531

and lastly, we all want to see Scrabble, this link will direct you on how to set that up along with your signature:
    From Tech forum: how to do a signature and Avatar (kitty pic)
    viewtopic.php?f=6&t=364

One more thing, if you could post any BG numbers you got from the vet today...I know you just got done with NPH insulin, so those numbers will help too.

Because you are not hometesting yet, it might not be a good idea to completely remove dry food if you are shooting blindly, just have plenty of yummy wet food available for Scrabble and the usual portion of dry, I know you received a lot of info already about dry food, but because you're not home testing yet, my suggestion - and I hope others chime in on this - is to hold off on removing the dry. ...what does everyone else think of this? Advise please.

So in the meantime, catch up on reading, check our information stickies up top (the threads with the "star" icon) and ask questions in this thread u began here.

The Lantus forum is a bit different than the Health forum, each kitty here gets one thread (or what we call condo) per day.
    Whenever you have an update or want to ask something, scroll down to the last post in this thread and hit "reply"
    this also "bumps" your thread to the top.

So take a deep breath, you're gonna be ok, Scrabble is gonna be ok, you're here and we're here, lots of support and friendly words of encouragement here. Take a stroll and visit other threads/condo's here, it can help!
    cat_pet_icon

9. Dawn & Nova

Dawn & Nova Well-Known Member

Agreed :).

Michelle if you are worried about hurting your cat giving needles.. Having been there, I understand how it seems scary. At worst you will annoy your cat.. it really doesn't hurt them as much as you would think. It will most definitely be harder on you then on him. In fact, once you get used to it and are able to relax some, he won't even notice you doing it.

If Scrabble's fur is causing you some grief as far as seeing what you are doing... since you are going to the vet tomorrow anyways you can consider getting them to trim or shave the area you are shooting. I found when I started it was tough to hold the cat, hold the skin, hold the needle, hold the fur out of the way and give the insulin (that takes 6 hands! :) ).. once you get used to it, you'll probably find it funny how many other things you can also do while giving insulin (talk on the phone, scratch his cheek, plan supper) :).

Ask lots of questions!

10. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Michelle, I'm a newbie here in Lantus Land too (but not a newbie to feline diabetes: Stu has been diabetic for 4 years). You are so lucky to be doing everything correctly right from the beginning. I wish I had home tested Stu from the beginning. It would have spared him a great deal of harm. But he's a big, strong cat and has weathered the mistakes pretty well. Anyway, I can't advise you on dosing, but I can welcome you and tell you that the people on this board are fantastic. Whenever you have questions, don't hesitate to ask. You will get good advice. Best of luck to you and your Scrabble as you both set out on this new adventure!

Ella & Stu

11. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Hi all thanks for the posts, I am heading to work shortly so I will probably not be back on here for a while. Nervous because this is the first time I have left him since his diagnosis! The vet did shave an area on both sides for me so getting the skin is pretty easy and luckily he is a mellow cat so he didn't seem to mind when I injected him. I will leave out a little dry for them when I leave in case since they have only had wet all day. I really don't want to discontinue the dry, like you said, totally until I know his numbers! I will try and start a spreadsheet tomorrow and hopefully get a picture up. I tried doing a picture originally and it was too big so I will try the link that you sent. He is a beautiful boy and would love to have his picture on here! You guys are a lifesaver and it is nice to know there are many others out there like me. I feel like a freak because I am so nervous and worried! I have not slept or ate much since Wednesday because I am so stressed! Tonight will be my first real test being away from him! Ugh! I am sure all he will do is sleep anyway!!! LOL! Thanks again to all for being so kind! When they tested him this morning at the vets he was around 400. When he was first diagnosed which was Wednesday night he was 506. I am still getting used to what all these numbers mean but hopefully the more I am informed the better I will get! Off to work!

12. paige

paige Well-Known Member

((((Michelle)))) If you are a freak.....then we are all freaks. :YMHUG:

13. Chris & Mally

Chris & Mally Member

Michelle, I am so glad to see you made it over here. This is the best place to be if you're a Lantus user! :smile:

14. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

Just dropping in to say hello and welcome to LL, Michelle. I think everyone his covered everything, so there isn't anything for me to add!
    You have come to one of the best places around to help Scrabble. The members on this board are very knowledgeable in feline diabetes and it is certainly the best place to come to for support. Do not be afraid to ask questions, no matter how "stupid" or "silly" it may sound. If you don't know, you gotta ask. And read, read, read the stickys over and over again. I know I had to and there are times when I go back now and read.
    So, once again, welcome to our family!

15. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

Hi there! Just stopping by to say hello and welcome to Lantus Land! Looking forward to reading all about Scrabble, including how he got his name??? :mrgreen:

16. Sherry & Squirt (GA)

Sherry & Squirt (GA) Member

Hi Michelle-
    Hey now your one step ahead of me already over here introducing yourself !!!! WTG - tomorrow I will be meeting with Michelle & Scrabble and we will home test and set up a spreadsheet together for Scrabble. She already has meter and supplies- I am bringing rice sock and ketostix to test for ketones. See you tomorrow Michelle and I am so proud of you for tackling this right away!!
    Hugs,
    Sherry

17. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Welcome Michelle!

One of the other members here described finding out that your cat had diabetes as probably one of the worst days of anyone's life. It certainly was for me! (I also had a very sick kitty when Gabby was diagnosed.) The process of learning about FD was completely overwhelming. I didn't find FDMB for a couple of months and when I got here, I felt overwhelmed all over again! Bottom line, it's completely normal to feel like the sky is falling only to find out that there are a lot of people who will help to pick you up, dust you off, and help you learn what you need to learn to help Scrabble.

Ronnie's suggestion about holding off on fully transitioning Scrabble to canned, low carb food is a good one. Once you start testing at home, you can do this far more safely. Don't underestimate the impact that dry food can have on BG numbers.

You mentioned that you weren't sure what Scrabble's BG readings meant. Normal BG is in the 50 - 120 range. Some cats actually will have BG numbers that are lower. When you read our dosing protocol, you will see that dose reductions are earned if BG dips below 50. (Those low numbers make some vets nervous. They really don't make us that nervous and they can be easily steered with food.)

I'd encourage you to make a plan: get comfortable (or as comfortable as you can initially) with home testing, get your spreadsheet set up, read all of the stickies (the permanent announcements at the top of the board that are marked with a star) and maybe even print them out, put together a "hypo kit," stock up on chocolate (and/or wine -- that's for you, not Scrabble), and plan on opening a condo every day and letting us get to know you and Scrabble. And, ask questions. Visit our condos and read other people's (beans) spreadsheets. And then ask more questions!

Again, welcome.

18. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

HI! I just wanted to drop on in and say hello, and welcome! I too am relatively new to LL, been here since Nov 2009, so I will leave all the details to those in the know. Mannie has been diabetic since may of 2008 - I couldn't agree more with all that has been said above about flying blind before i found this board. I knew so little - nothing about home testing, etc. Mannie is doing so much better now that we are here. There are very knowledgeable and compassionate, understanding folks. I have gotten through the initial "omg I have to give shots?" and the "are you kidding me - there is a vein in that ear, like where?" to the "no way will this cat let me do that"... now it is just so easy, and there are no fears. I am sure that it will be the same for you. Read as much as you can, and ask questions, there is no question that is too small, or unimportant.

Welcome aboard!

19. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Thanks everyone! In response to the question of how Scrabble got his name is I got him at 8 weeks old from the Humane Society & that was the name they chose for him and I thought it fit him perfectly! Well 2 shots down then off to the vets for a test at 11am and then meeting with Sherry. I am still pretty uncomfortable with the shots (I know I have only given him 2!) I am just so worried that I am doing it wrong. Guess we will find out in the morning when he has his test done. He is going to be pretty mad at me for having to take him again!! Luckily he is one of the most mellow cats so the shot thing has been easy, he doesn't even move! Hope I am doing the right thing with food, I have left out a small bowl of dry but they seem to be taking very well to the canned fancy feast so it looks like they will be off the dry in no time. Still giving him some regular treats to reward him after the shots (just a couple) and they both seem to like the halo freeze dried chicken treats! Well I should have a spreadsheet set up tomorrow and hopefully a picture!

20. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say hi and welcome!!! Keep reading and in no time you will be a pro at this. So glad you have someone coming over to show you how to test at home. It's makes a huge difference. A week from now you'll be shocked at what you know and how good you've become at testing and giving shots!

21. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Welcome, glad you made it over to Lantus Land. Tess was dx just over a month ago, and I too thought that I'd never get testing right. Now I feel like an old hand and Tess usually sits there and purrs. She knows she always gets a treat afterward.

My old vet was like yours and poo pooed diet change. Over a week I put out more and more canned food and Tess ate less and less dry on her own. sounds like your kitties like canned so you shouldn't have too much problem. The new vet said after a week that as long as I was testing to go ahead and get rid of the dry. Don't remove the dry until you can make regular tests.

You are so lucky having someone near you that can help you get started testing. The people here are great and so willing to help.

Most treats are pretty high carb. If Scrabble already likes the freeze dried treats, try going to Trader Joe's, the have the freeze dried liver and chicken breasts for about half the price I've seen anywhere else. Tess turns up her nose at anything else now.

Welcome again, I can't wait to see a pix of Scrabble.

22. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Hey Tess thanks for the tip on the trader joe's treats, I will check them out this weekend!!! Just got back from vets, his BG was 231. The vet was very happy since yesterday at this time it was 458 so we are doing something right!! :) I have been freaking out over this feeding thing because I want to make sure he is getting enough food! How often should I feed him and how much? Been doing about 3 times a day right now, half a can of fancy feast at each sitting and some freeze dried treats. I still leave out a little dry but that is hard because as soon as I pour some in the bowl they want to eat it! Waiting for Sherry to arrive! Also is it normal for their ears to be red where they have tested?

23. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

After you rest put pressure on the spot w/ a tissue for 15 or 20 seconds to reduce brusing. Some people use Neosporin every few days. Sherry will explain a lot of this when you see her.

24. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Feed the cat as often as he wants. As he becomes regulated on the insulin, the extreme hunger and more than normal eating will taper off. I free feed my cats and they only get canned and raw foods.

I removed all the dry as it's no good for them and can cause the Bg's to rise. I also think it contributed to Maui's diabetes.

So, if you can stop feeding dry completely, your cats will be better off.

Regarding freeze dried treats, my girls are now fiends for the stuff: this is what I get and where (cheapest prices on internet). I only get chicken flavors.

http://www.kingwholesale.com/Shopping/i ... fm?id=5994

I purchase the largest bags and the min. for free shipping.

http://wholesalesupplementstore.com/liv ... reats.html

Cool! She'll show you everything you need to know!

Yes, this is normal. You can use neosporin with pain relief or any other topical polysporin type OTC ointment. You can find this in the first aid section near the band aids.

I never saw the marks on Maui's ears (since they are black), but I used it anyway. I made it part of our routine. I would massage it onto both ears (even if I only tested one ear), and she liked the massage and didn't notice the ointment.

25. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Hi Michelle and Scrabble! Welcome to FDMB and LL! :) We are really glad you made it here and are learning so much. Wonderful that Sherry is coming over to help you out. I had someone come by and help me with home testing and it made all the difference in the world.

You've gotten great advice already, and I am too new to Lantus to offer much in the way of help as far as that goes, but I just wanted to say hello and welcome. We look forward to hearing how Scrabble is doing with all this, and how you are doing as well. This is the best place in the world to help your baby, that's for sure. :)

26. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Welcome Michelle and Scrabble! We're all glad you found this site. We will help you through this. We've all been there.

27. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Thanks everyone, spreadsheet is set up, picture is up and I learned to home test today yay!!!! Will edit profile next after I get some sleep!!!!

28. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Morning & Welcome to lantus land...We have all been where you are today, scared, nervous, & upset..I also had a member come to my house to show me how to BG test & I am still so thankful to her..
    Practice giving shots into an orange--It is so helpful & will give you the feeling of the shot, also helps you become faster, which helps with the actual shot..Just think, when we get a shot it only stings for a second, but then it's gone..and giving a treat while testing & shooting has helped for me by distracting her..Just a bit of real chicken, & while she's eating, I test & shoot..
    You will get used to it..You have an amazing support group here--It will become like your family.
    We are all here rooting for you!!

29. Linda and Tasha

Linda and Tasha Member

Hi Michelle & Scrabble. Tasha was just dxd 3 weeks and 2 days ago. You will be surprised how fast you will pick things up. I found the most confusing part navigating the site and learning the rules here. I still haven't got the etiquette down yet. :lol:
    People here are very helpful. My only suggestion is to not freak out over a single number. Listen to what everybody says, and if you have to choose advice, go with your gut. You know your kitty best. I learned that from dealing with my daughter who is a type 1 diabetic. Home testing puts you so ahead of everyone else who doesn't do it. The first few days I had trouble getting the blood from her ear and now, the hardest part is grabbing the cat. Even she is becoming resigned to it and puts up less of a fuss.
    This will all soon become routine and you will be giving advice to the newest newbie soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.