New Lantus user

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Shelly and Spaceman, Feb 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shelly and Spaceman

Shelly and Spaceman Member

Hi,
    Just want to introduce myself. I am Shelly and I just founmd out that my cat Feeburt is Diabetic. I guess one of the most important things to know is that I lost a diabetic last march. I kept him healthy and strong for 4 years with the help of this board. I was a PZI user but this time my vet wants us to start on Lantus. So...I guess you could say that I have been down this road before but this time I am driving a new car. I'm going to need some help.
    She recommended that we start with 2U 2x/d. Sorry. I forgot some of the formatting of the dosage shortcuts. I will pick it up again soon. He was 410 in the vet according to the blood panel and 359 at home. He does have a slight infection and will be taking baytril as well. he is spilling glucose into his urine. MAybe we will be OTJ (see...I do remember a little of the jargin) with a little time and infection control. I am doing to go pick up the insulin today after work and get started. Any advise on the pre filled pens vs drawing in myself?
    I am a tester. I actually diagnosed him before taking him in. I never got around to donating Cosmo's supplies to the supply closet. Funny how things like that work out.
    So I am a little down and depressed but at least I know the beast I am fighting...rather intimately.
    Thanks,
    Shelly

2. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Hi, welcome to Lantus Land. More experienced members will be along soon to help, just wanted to say hello as I'm online.

I just started Tess on Lantus a month ago so all the startup info is fresh in my mind.

Most of us use the cartridges and draw from them. A little more in initial outlay, but they last longer and you get more insulin. Just think of it as 5 smaller vials as opposed to one big one. You're not going to use that much of a vial and it is recommended to start a new one every month, although many of us use them longer. At a minimum you are looking at a 5 month supply versus a 1 month supply when you are considering cost. Once the vial is opened the countdown on useful time starts.

You need the u100 syringes, preferably w/ half unit markings. The pharmacist will think you are nuts getting the cartridges and syringes. Just assure them that, yes you can draw from the cartridges just like from a vial. You might consider the pen itself also, just a a protector for the cartridge. You do not need the needles for it though.

3. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Shelly,

Just wanted to say Hi and welcome as well. I don't have much to offer in the way of advice as I am pretty new to this (well 5 months), and there are others that will be coming along with much more experience. It seems like a pretty high dose to start with on Lantus but like I said, I really am not qualified to say. But there are stickies on the top of this page with all kinds of info about Lantus and how it works to keep you busy until you get some more answers...

Good Luck with your "new car" :D and again..welcome !

Caryl

4. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

The newest version of the protocol we follow states .25 u per KG of IDEAL weight. However, we generally just start at 1 u, twice a day (BID).

You definitely want to get either the Solostar pens or the cartridges. They will come in a 5-pack and will last about 5 months. Lantus is rumored to go bad after about a month, so it's much cheaper to throw out 3 ml than 10 ml each month (if you think it's gone bad).

You're way ahead of the game since you already test. Could you go over to the tech forum and start a spreadsheet and then attach to your signature?

5. Chris & Mally

Chris & Mally Member

I'm sorry you have to go through this again, Shelly, but it's good that you are way ahead of the game since you've treated a diabetic cat before. I can't advise on dosage either, but would suggest you wait until someone with experience comes and checks in with you. You might want to put "Dosage Advice Needed" in the topic line so you can get some experienced eyes in here.

Good luck with Feeburt!!! :smile:

6. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Shelley and welcome back to the board.
    I am sorry about your loss of Cosmo last year.
    You know you are in the right place and will get all of the hope and support
    you will need.
    More experienced people will be by to help you out.

In the meantime, read up in the stickies at the top of the group.
    The motto here is to start low and go slow so most kitties do start at 1u.(BID)
    There are many questions that you will be asked, about the infection, food and so on.
    In the meantime, why don't you start working on your profile and ss (if you haven't already)
    so you will be all ready to start a condo here.
    Go back to your original post, you will see button that says edit and put "advice needed"

7. Shelly and Spaceman

I will work on my profile and stuff tonight. Honestly, I'm at work and can't right now. Gotta have a job to pay ofr all this stuff. Really my biggest question is when I go to the pharmacy...what exactly do I need to buy. I have test strips, meters and u100 needles from Cosmo. But when I go to the phamasist and he hask what I want...what should I say? Does anyone use the solostar pens? and apparently they come with their own needles and can be set to the dose you want? or is it just as easy to draw from them with your own syringe? what is the most economical way to do this.

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Welcome to LL (Lantus Land), Shelly.

I'm amazed. No one said, "Read the stickies!" The "stickies" are the starred notes at the top of the Board. There is a ton of information about Lantus use, Board conventions around posting, our own version of slang, and most importantly, links to the dosing protocol that we use to guide dose changes. The "New to Lantus/Levemir" sticky also has links to research articles.

Heather (N/A) is correct. The newest version of the protocol bases starting dose on ideal weight. She's also correct that this is usually in the neighborhood of 1.0u BID. If Feeburt's ideal weight is around 18 lbs, 2.0u BID would be about right. (Make sure your vet isn't using the old version of the Rand protocol. It was based on 0.5u per kg of ideal weight but the cats in that protocol were being initially managed in the hospital.) The starting dose has changed and is referenced in the Roomp & Rand (2009) journal article that's in the research links (or if you need it, please send me a PM and I can send you the pdf.).

With the pens, you do not need the injector/needle that comes with it. Use a U100 syringe that is marked in half unit increments. The easiest place to find these is Walmart or by mail order. I use Hocks for my syringes. The settings on the pens are not small enough to shoot directly from the pen and rumor has it that they are not as consistent as we need for kitties. Use a syringe.

Hopefully, you will find this Board supportive and a great place to answer your questions. It is truly a community. Please visit our condos and read our spreadsheets. And ask as many questions and you need to. We love questions!!!

9. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Hi Shelly! Welcome back to FDMB. I am sorry about your loss of Cosmo. It's great that you are so far ahead of things as far as testing and knowing some of the things to do/look for with FD.

As Randi and Sienne suggested, start off by reading the stickies in the Lantus forum. They are so helpful and will explain a lot of things. I am a new Lantus user so I can't give any advice. I used Idexx PZI as well and just recently switched to Lantus, so I know what that's like. :) You are in great hands here in LL. Everyone is extremely helpful, supportive, and knowledgeable.

Ask any questions you can think of and read, read, read. :)

10. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Welcome Shelly! The one good thing out of all this is that you ahead of the game by catching the diagnosis at home.
    :thumbup

11. sommerbethel

sommerbethel Member

I use the SoloStar Pens and it is best to get the syringes separate...that way you can get more accurate dosing when you get down to the .25u doses.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone commented on this yet but, I am not an expert, however you may want to consider starting Feeburt at 1.00u 2/x per day instead of 2.00u 2/x per day.

Based on my experience with my own sugarbaby that is what I can offer you regarding dosing and syringes...hope it helps :)

12. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA) Well-Known Member

13. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

it's ok guys - missed stuff happens, Im just glad Shelly found her way here with Feeburt! What a cute name? Who'd he get that name Shelly?

Welcome to Lantus Land by the way. You got good feedback here, read read read and ask ask ask, and always keep in mind u can add HELP to ur first post's subject line to get immediate eyes on u and Feeburt!

14. Shelly and Spaceman

Thanks everyone. I just gave him his first shot. Felt like I had never even stopped giving shots. Glad I asked about the vials vs cartridges but holy cow they are expensive. so I am guessing that each cartridge will last a month...possibly longer? My Vet prescribed me the big vial but I got it changed to the cartridges. didn't buy syringes...had some at home already and will be on e bay later tonight getting stocked up on test strips. Like riding a bike!

I updated my profile a little and got a spreadsheet added to my signature.
    My vet wanted to start at 2U but from what I could tell most started lower so I split the difference and started at 1.5U. He is a big cat and 17-18 lbs is probably pretty normal for him. he is currently 16.5 pounds.

It's funny...he isn't acting like he feels bad. Just from previous experience all the signs were there. I'm so thankful for this board for past help and for being there again for me.

Thanks guys. Sorry if I seemed grumpy earlier. Honestly, I kind of am right now. I thought I had taken my lumps with Cosmo and wouldn't have to deal with this again...boy was I wrong. I guess the good news is that I am used to not sleeping. I never got out of the habit of getting up in the middle of the night to check on Cosmo.

looking forward to getting to know all of you better. I won't be grumpy for long...promise!

BTW...Feeburt was Feebee and then he developed some male parts...so we masculinized his name a little. I will post pics of all my guys soon. I have 4. They are Feeburt 14, Spaceman 2.5 (pronounced spa/chim/an), Mike 9 mo, and his twin Dave, 9 mo.

15. Ronnie & Luna

((Shelly)) :YMHUG: dont worry about being grumpy, we understand

we encourage grumpies, venting along with jumping for joy! So whatever u feel - feel free to let it out. This forum and board is a whole community of caring people, some who have had to go thru what u have.
    So always feel free to visit the community and grief forums, you'll find a ton of support should u need it, and of course in here in your daily condo's for Feeburt.
    :YMHUG:

16. Shelly and Spaceman

Thank you! I updated above message to include expalnation of feeburts name and the ames of all my other boys. I am a horrible cat namer but I think they get extra points for originality.

17. Ronnie & Luna

lol! Feeburt was a boy!! Sounds like our story - once I saw the little wee thing as a kitten - eeek!! lol!! Luna's a boy who's often confused for a girl cuz of his name.

Cant wait to "meet" Feeburt and ur furry family!

18. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Ack! If I had known you were in Dallas, I could have given you a pen. I'm in Irving.

19. Shelly and Spaceman

It's ok. If they last a while I will be fine. Just almost vomited when the lady said 200 bucks. And then looked at me like I was insane when she realized that it was for a cat.
    He also had a slight bladder infection so maybe after the baytril kicks in he will have a chance of getting off insulin. He really doesn't act like he feels bad.
    So here is his back story.
    I got Feeburt when Cosmo was about 4-5. so when Cosmo was getting really old we got Spaceman so that Feeburt would stop attacking (AKA playing with) Cosmo. Then As Cosmo's health started to deteriorate, maybe out of depression, Feeburt gained a ton of weight. And fast. So fast that I had him xrayed because I was certain that he had a tumor. He got up to 22 pounds. Then out of no where he started dropping the weight. And sitting in the tub and crying for water and peeing a lot. So now he is down to 16.5. (the weight gain and dop all happened within about a year.) It was all too familiar. So I tested last Friday with Cosmo's old stuff...as suspected....359.

20. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Hi Shelly,

Welcome to Lantus Land, a great place to be if you want expertise abut Lantus and friendly advice.

I'm sorry about Cosmo. I know how that hurts and it must have made you feel so upset to learn your Feeburt has a health issue now.

I'm a newbie. Been here just short of 2 months. But I wanted to say hi. And to add that I believe the one-month thing on the Lantus is promoted by the manufacturer, but is not true. We, for example, have been using the same vial of Lantus for four months.

The Solostar pen (and we have some cartridges in the wings for when we need to move on) can't be used for cats for a variety of reason. Not only is the dose not appropriate in a lot of case, but I believe you have to inject the insulin (if you ise the pen) into a muscle and hold it for a count of 10 or something. Ha!

Anyway, I look forward to following your daily "condo" here, which is what we call our daily threads in Lantus Land.

21. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

shelly, from now on buy cartridges from canadadrugsonline.com
    they're $119 plus $10 shipping (US Dollars).
    i've been much happier with them. of course it depends on where you get them, but i've gotten them from costco and walgreens here in san francisco and the quality was not as good.
    you don't need the needles that go with the pen. both pen and cartridge are worked like a vial, with a little rubber stopper thru which you withdraw insulin via syringe.
    guessing this time of year buying locally is probably just as well, because of weather, but after winter's over i'd feel happier buying the cheaper canadian lantus. mine came in a large styrofoam box with a cold pack and were well packaged.

originally we were instructed to toss cartridges at 28 days but i went broke and started using my cartridges longer. found accidentally that they were good to the last drop, and i think someone from germany confirmed it in think tank (that the german group does not toss cartridges/pens that early). my cartridges ended up staying good for about 9 weeks til i finished them.

22. Amy and Pedro

Amy and Pedro Member

Hi Shelly,
    Welcome (back). I'm sure it was tough to have gone through this before and be back so soon. The up side is that, as you know, you got a great group here. I think you will be really happy with Lantus. Very different action from PZI and great that your Vet started you on it.
    will be interesting to see how things go once the infection clears.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.