New, (long post, sorry)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sandscout, Apr 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandscout

sandscout Member

Hi! I’m new to this site, and am extremely freaked out/worried about my boy, Scout.
    He was I n remission 5+ years from diabetes, on Royal Canin rx Venison, which was also controlling his pancreatitis.
    In January 2018 dr. advised possible early renal insufficiency, so we moved him very slowly to Hill’s k/d.
    Took him in to see his dr. Wednesday as his thirst, urination and appetite have jumped way way up in the last 2 weeks.
    So lab results say BC was at 576 and
    pancreatitis is back too (FpL # has gone from 9 to 41).
    When we got home, started on 1 unit Lantus 2x a day after meals. BG down to high 300’s.
    But he won’t eat!! Dr. put him on Mirtazapine but after 24 hours, no improvement in appetite.
    Any help or ideas would be helpful.

Thank you.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Hills k/d is 27% carb. Not good for any cat. Unless the cat is stage 4 kidney disease he should not eat this food. Low protien at earlier stages just leads to muscle wasting. Instead feed a low carb/low phosphorus wet food.

http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

3. sandscout

sandscout Member

Thank you for the link Janet.
    Do you have any suggestions for stimulating appetite?

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

5. sandscout

sandscout Member

Thanks for the link for feeding ideas, it gives me a place to start.
    He is really lethargic today but that coujd be due to a pain med for pancreatitis
    Thanks for your responses.

6. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hope he feels better soon. Keep us posted.

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

do you have cerenia for nausea? The most common treatment for pancreatitis is cerenia for nausea, bupe for pain, and daily sub q's until the flare has ended.

allison and Bubbles and Sharon14 like this.
  8. allison and Bubbles

allison and Bubbles Member

as Janet indicated he may not be eating due to pain and nausea due to pancreatitis...cerenia works wonders...ask vet for an app stimulant in conjunction with anti nauseant (they work together better than seperately)...parm chz works for some sprinkled on top his food....also baby food can be really effective and irresistable (no veggies or fruit and no garlic or onion)...good luck ...what an adorable kitty!oh...yes pain meds have caused lethargy in my cats too....

9. sandscout

sandscout Member

Hi Allison & Janet,
    So Scout has acute pancreatitis and diabetes - I took him in to internal med. vet this a.m. and they hospitalized him.
    Dr. put in a central line as well as a catheter for fluids, appetite stimulant, anti-nausea and CRI (which is some type of continuous infusion of insulin to get his numbers down from the 400’s.)

She’s planning on putting in a feeding tube as he’s stopped eating & syringe feeding hasn’t worked out too well.

Thank you for your kind words and info, it’s so helpful, and I’ve been learning so much being on this site. I am KICKING MYSELF for changing his diet, as he was on a limited ingredient diet for 5 years that put his pancreatitis & diabetes into remission. I moved him to Hill’s k/d as the vet raised a concern about early renal insufficiency in December, recommending a switch to a low protein, low phosphorus diet. At the time I was worried about how that would affect his pancreas - I so regret that switch, he’s in so much pain now, pancreas is “big and significantly inflamed”.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.