New, looking for advice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Eva, Sep 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eva

Eva New Member

Hello, my names Eva and I have a beautiful 13+yr cat named Beau. I say 13, but he could be older. No younger then 13 though. A month ago he was diagnosed with diabetes, he was far along at that point. I didn't catch on to the symptoms, the signs, in retrospect it's clear. He had been loosing weight for months, he was sleeping more, I thought he was just getting old... plus, he was drinking and eating lots, urinating like a horse, I took those as positive signs. He started getting litter stuck to his feet and walking strange, now I know he was experiencing leg cramps associated with the diabetes, but again at the time I chalked it up as he had litter stuck in his paw so he was walking strange and possibly in pain as the result of that. I took him in the day he started to leave small amounts of pee everywhere he laid, I was thinking the worst, I thought I was going to loose him. That's when I was told it was diabetes, and it wasn't going to be fixable with a simple diet change, I would be having to give him 2 shots a day for the rest of his life, but if I do, he can still live comfortably and happy for a normal life. I have a needle phobia, and I doubted myself, that's when I first discovered this forum which eased my mind and gave me the confidence to go forward and commit to treatments. Thank you already for that help.

I am looking for some personalized advice though. Beau isn't responding to the insulin treatment and I have been getting mixed instructions from the vet and the vet techs. First appointment I talked with the vet, he gave the diagnoses and the options, I went home to maul it over what I was going to do. I decided to go forward with treatment that night, made the appointment and came in the next day. Bought the needles, insulin, wet food and dry food that they recommended. I was told to give him 2 doses every 12 hours with 1/4 a can of wet food and some dry food - they never said how much dry food so I was doing 1/2 cup, and they said if he didn't finish eating I can leave it down for a couple hours for him to finish. They suggested giving the shot while he was eating the wet food, and taught me to do the tent method with the skin at the back of his neck/upper back. I got a couple fur shots the first couple days, but since then they have gone very smooth. I did what I was told to do, and Beau took it very well. They also told me his leg cramps will clear up after a few weeks, it's a month later now and he's still having problems with them, the vet techs assured me he wasn't in pain from it though - said his legs were just wonky so that's why hes still walking strange. I went in to get the blood glucose reading, it was 13.9, vet techs said it was higher then they'd like but to continue on how i'm doing.

Went in again yesterday, this time it was the vet I talked to. His blood was at 16.something... I can't remember what point it was. The vet told me I was doing things wrong. That I was to give him food, wait 15-20 minutes then give the shot. Was also told I should of had blood work done when I got the urine test done when I initially came in and he told me that Beau has diabetes. Told he could have something else going on with him as well. He said to bring it up to 3 units in the morning, and continue with 2 at night, then bring him back in a week. With the conflicting information between the vet and the vet techs, as well as what I have read online, I don't know what to believe. I know how dangerous it is for his blood glucose to drop, i'm terrified of doing that to him by raising the insulin in the morning, but I don't know what to do. I feel it's his only shot. I didn't go ahead with the raise this morning, I can't do it without more information. I am so sorry for such the long read I just want to give you guys as much info as I can, even still I probably missed some crucial information.

Yes! I did forget to mention something fairly important, the brand of dry food and the wet food he's on is Purina ProPlan Veterinary Diets DM Dietetic Management. The insulin I got is a 2.5ml bottle of Caninsulin. Oh - and the vet techs told me it's ok to use 1 needle a day instead of 2? Is that even true? I've been doing that...

Thank you anyone who read all that, and thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge on the subject.

2. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome Evan and Beau!
    Are you home testing? The numbers that the vet is getting are likely inflated due to stress. If you aren't, are you willing to give it a try?

As far as the vet's advice that you "should of had blood work done," did he offer that to you? He is the one that does the testing, so how are you supposed to know that it is necessary if he doesn't mention it?

Additionally, I would NOT use the syringes more than once. The needle is very thin metal that dulls quickly, and aside from the possible contamination issues, the re-used needles can make the shots painful.

He doesn't need a Rx diet. Check out this info at catinfo.org for more information on feeding diabetic cats.

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome Eva and Beau! Don't feel bad about missing the early signs, I did too as did many others on the site. The important thing is you're here now and you're getting educated about Beaus condition. That is the best way to help him. As Rhonda mentioned, home testing is one of the best ways to monitor Beau. It can be a bit overwhelming when you start, but after awhile it becomes a simple routine, and it really is the only way to know how Beau is reacting to the insulin. Any human meter should be fine. Also, it's possible a change in food will lower his BG, but you must first be home testing, because if you aren't his glucose could go too low which is very dangerous! As for the leg problems, that's probably diabetic neuropathy. My cat, Colin, has that too. Getting Beaus blood glucose under control will fix that, but you can help with Methyl B12. I use Zobaline, but there are other brands. Just make sure there is no sugar in it! As you see there's a lot to learn, but you've come to the right place! Ask lots of questions they love questions here! Good luck and please keep us posted.

4. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Eva and extra sweet Beau! Welcome to the best place you never wanted to be! Thank you for so much information in your intro - it helps all of us start helping you a lot quicker! I'm glad you opted for 'treatment', diabetes definitely is NOT a death sentence! KT was diabetic for over 2 years before he crossed due to other issues, Dakota, our other diabetic, has been diabetic for over 4 years - he's 14 years old...

First thing you need to do is start learning to test his bg at home to keep him safe AND know how the insulin is working. A human diabetic would never shoot insulin without testing - diabetes is diabetes regardless of whether it's humans, cats, dogs, horses or ant-eaters! It's not hard, it's just different. Your vet would likely tell you either not to test or you have to buy a 'pet specific' meter which will quickly break the bank. Most of us here use a human meter just fine.

Insulin - just like it's name, 'Caninsulin' was developed for dogs. It works well for them, not so great for cats but most vets don't realize this. We can help you do the best you can with it but you'll likely want to change to a better human insulin when you get your feet on the ground. I didn't even know there were different kinds of insulin when we started. Also remember - insulin is a hormone that the pancreas should be secreting but isn't, it's not a 'chemical medicine' like thyroid for example where when you find the right dose, it always works. Many things affect the blood glucose numbers - stress, excitement, food, squirrel, bird or just being a living, breathing creature!

Food - ditch the dry...period. Dry food has way too many carbs in it for diabetic kitties. Check out the info at www.catinfo.org - WONDERFUL! Most of us here feed Friskies pates or Fancy Feast Classics - unfortunately sugar kitties only get gravy foods when they drop too low.

Yes the leg thing is likely diabetic neuropathy - Methylcobulin (sp?) B12 will help with that.

We have an amazing 'Feline Health' subforum with lots of help to get you started. We look forward to seeing you there!

HUGS!!!

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.
    Please keep the food the same until you are able to home test the blood glucose. Its a safety thing. Changing to a low carb canned or raw diet can lower the glucose 100-200 mg/dL and reduce the dose of insulin by 1 - 2 units, but you won't know that until you are home testing.
    Here is our Caninsulin/Vetsulin Guide to help you use it optimally.
    The lowest glucose after insulin, called the nadir, is how to determine if a dose is too high. For your insulin, that is around +3 to +5 or so hours after you give it. The nadir should remain above 50 mg/dL on a human meter, otherwise, you risk hypoglycemia, which can be fatal.

6. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

Hypo events are pretty scary. It is best to put together a Hypo Kit. It is always good to be prepared for possible hypo events which means that your cat has reached dangerously low numbers. It can be fatal, hence, the importance of home testing and collecting data in a spreadsheet. In each of the Insulin Forums are stickies labeled Hypo Links. Please print and post on your refrigerator so everyone in your household is aware of hypo symptoms. You will want to create your hypo kit that would include and not limited to; extra testing strips, honey/karo/maple syrup, high carb food, medium carb food, vet information, etc.

Our spreadsheet instructions are here. If you look at the signatures of the members here, you will see a link to their kitties spreadsheets. We keep track of all our tests. This is basically a place to collect data.and help you to determine patterns, doses, etc. It also aids those that may be helping you to better understand your kitty.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.