New lows for Sheldon

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Diane and Sheldon, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Diane and Sheldon

Diane and Sheldon New Member

Hey everyone
    Here's the scoop, my Shelly has been keeping me up at night!! His numbers are taking a dive faster than I can reduce. Not so sure how I should be dosing now. He's gone from 1.5U to barely .25U in less than a week but his #'s are still dropping. I have skipped but then he goes high, so obviously not ready for remission. I've stalled with some interesting results. I guess my question is, am I pretty safe dosing some pretty low numbers since it's now a tiny dose? Or could I still expect an effect, a week later, of the depot from 1.5u doses?
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...VgNo0VbuSTJoloBG8r0EcAyKCRQ/edit?usp=drivesdk

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

3. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

4. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to a fellow Canadian!

The depot can affect the levels for a few days.
    Is Sheldon on Lantus?

Most of the numbers you are getting are quite safe to shoot as long as you have a hypo kit ready (lots of test strips, syrup, etc) and are ready/able to test. You can always test 10-15 minutes prior to shot time and post here and ask for help!

Also, you should try to maintain a dose for at least 6 cycles, unless the BG goes so low that it meets the criteria for reducing! Given that you're giving .25u now, perhaps try to stick with that for 6 cycles then see if he needs an increase/decrease or if he's doing well on that dose. The people on this forum are a great help and can advise you! Stalling is ok but the insulin should be given as close to 12 hours apart as possible and when you need to work your way back to the normal schedule, the adjustment to the shot times should be 15 minutes per cycle. So, for example, if normal shot time is 6:00 pm and you stall until 8:00 pm, the next shot should not be given until 7:45 am. Then at 7:30 pm, etc.

Diane and Sheldon likes this.
  5. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

J.J. and Phoebe Squeak Well-Known Member

I have no idea, but I want to bump you back to the top.
    Maybe add a ? to your header.

Diane and Sheldon likes this.
  6. Diane and Sheldon

Thanks for the info. Yes he's on Lantus. As for stalling that's basically what I've been doing. I'm not working right now (school bus driver ) so I can be flexible with his dosing schedule. Not so much during the school year! It's just crazy that a .25 dose could bring him from 28 to 4.6 in 12 hrs! Made me leary to dose the same this am when he was 4.2. But I'm home all day so I figured it was a good day to try. I'm due to feed and test in a half hour, he's happy and energetic right now so.....I think I made the right call. I usual hold the dose changes much longer but the reductions didn't seem to be having any effect so I was wondering if the depot was interfering. This is just so foreign for the both of us.

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

After a reduction, the larger depot can influence the following 4-6 cycles. In addition, I notice you have been stalling quite a bit. After you stall, are you giving the following shot 12 hours after the delayed shot? If not, then you are shooting too early and that can act a bit like a dose increase. Would it be possible for you to modify the spreadsheet entries to help us see what is happened. First of all, the data for 7/17 is missing from the US version of the spreadsheet. When you stall, put your tests for +12 (normal preshot time) in the +11 cell. So yesterday on the 17th, you would have put 4.6(86)@+12 in the +11 cell, then put 6.8(122)@+14 in the PMPS cell. That would let us know you stalled 2 hours.

Here is the link to your last post here: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/sudden-change-in-sheldons-s.215011/ In that post, you say you want to follow SLGS. It'll help us help you if you put SLGS in your signature, as the reduction points are different than from TR. For example, with that 3.8 (68) today, he earned a reduction down to the 0.1 unit dose. There is a picture of how to dose that in the Sticky Note on Fine Dosing.

Sienne and Gabby (GA) likes this.
  8. Diane and Sheldon

That's odd, why didn't the 17th transfer to the us spreadsheet? Weird. I inputted it manually. And yes, I tend to stall for two hrs as I feed when I test. I know the protocol is to test, not feed, and retest 20mins later. But Since I'm almost always unavailable for 2 hrs after, I just feed, wait the 2hrs till the food is no longer affecting his numbers and test then. That becomes his new test time for the PM dose. I'll try to add SLGS to my signature.
    +6 and he's at 4 (72) and enjoying his lunch, so I'm thinking I made the right call to dose. Maybe now he'll balance out and give me some really flat curves!!

9. Diane and Sheldon

Signature updated. I'll look over that sticky on fine dosing, I've got a feeling I might be needing it sooner rather than later! Why is good news freaking me out so bad?!?! Lol

Wendy&Neko likes this.