New member, 15 year old Mombo!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MissJaeden, May 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MissJaeden

MissJaeden New Member

Greetings and thank you for the invitation to join this forum! Any and all information is deeply digested and appreciated.

I adopted a 15 year old diabetic orange tabby named Mombo from a gentleman who's wife passed away, and he could no longer keep up with Mombos schedules.

Mombo is a very affectionate yet easily stimulated old man. Before acquiring him, I have previous experience as a volunteer at the Walden Humane Society in NY, USA. I've had barn cats since I was 12... ew. That was 25 years ago we currently have 4 other cats in addition to Mister Mombo.

Piper - tuxedo - 7 - male - has CHD. On medication 2x a day, also his has a grade 3 heart murmur.

Wolfie - Chantilly - 4 - male - afraid of everything. Adopted from the humane society by my daughter whom took Pity on him as he looked like a gooey-eyed skinny rat in a tiny cage. He's huge now, and absolutely gorgeous.

Blue - tabby - 8 months - he's slow. Very, very sweet but... 'special' .

Nara - seal point siamese - 6 - female - suffers from bladder Crystal's. Is the only cat that's indoor/outdoor. If I don't let her out, she pees in the tub, gets depressed, and won't eat.

Now we have Mr. Mombo. The transition is going well. Today is the first day he's had free reign of the house. He's still growling at the other cats, but the other cats aren't phased. Pipers alwaysa been a Nanny Cat, and wants nothing more than to groom the old man.

I digress.

Mombo takes 3u of prozinc twice a day at 4:30a and 4:30p. His previous owner dosed him while he ate. He does not currently get metered at home but I am investing in a meter recommended via fb, from walmart. I may need usage tips!

Mombo hasn't been eating much since he joined our family. I've lowered his dose to 2u to compensate and he seems a bit better/happier.

Just wanted to give y'all the full run down for when i come running with questions. We're intending on giving Mombo the best golden years possible. 15 is pretty ancient for a cat in his condition.

Attached Files:

2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome!

Wow, what a menagerie!!!! They sound like quite a handful-- how amazing that you volunteered to take on a senior diabetic on top of all that! Lucky Mombo!

Very glad you are going to start testing him. 3U of ProZinc is a fairly hefty dose, so you definitely want to be able to monitor his response closely. Wondering if the reduction to 2U is making him feel/act a little more zippy because the 3U was too much, in fact.

Let us know when you are ready to start testing. There are lots of instructions and tips scattered about FDMB, but we're always happy to walk people through any of the rough patches in the beginning. It becomes second nature very quickly, but boy, sometimes those first few attempts are exercises in frustration!

Good luck, and let us know how we can help!

3. MissJaeden

MissJaeden New Member

I'm pretty confident and comfortable with the idea or poking or lancing for blood. Its learning the numbers that I'm a bit apprehensive of, that and it seems a great many vets arent into 'fine tuning' a diabetic cats care.

We also have a Bearded dragon named Tater with a missing tip of his tale, 3 black Asian chickens and 4 bantam chickens.

We're like a weird feline farm with perks.

4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

WELCOME TO FDMB The best place to help you help Mombo(love that name!)

You will want to set up a signature and a spreadsheet you can find that here:
    Suggestions, Tech Support & Testing Area

Again WELCOME:bighug: There a wealth of information here with good folks willing and able to help you decipher it all.
    jeanne

5. Lalkabee

Lalkabee Member

Wow...you are a wonderful person. It's so overwhelming and expensive to have a kitty with health issue (for me anyway) and here you are, taking care of one more...plus a lizard and chickens. Poking ears to test BG has been the difficult part for me. Bee's ears seems to bruise easily even if i follow every advises. Don't worry about learning the numbers, i am also new at this, still learning, but you will get a rough idea pretty quickly. Anyway, Welcome and i am so glad that Mombo found a good family :)

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  6. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome!

I didn’t catch your name... what a beautiful and amazingly diverse family you have! It takes a special heart to adopt a senior pet with a chronic condition :cat::cat::cat:

If these guys guided me through learning and now being comfortable with home testing, you will too rest assured! Once you start home testing, set up your spreadsheet and link to your signature so we can all see, people here will guide you when it comes to the dose as well as increasing and/or decreasing. The rule of thumb here is to do that by .25 increments as opposed to full units, but again you’ll be guided by more experienced members.

Welcome again and ask away :bighug:

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  7. MissJaeden

MissJaeden New Member

I was reminded to come back here gotta make it a habit.

I'm Jae. Sorry for the lack of introduction on my part.

I started home testing today, using the Relion premier classic unit from walmart.

So, he had
    ● 4:30 am 2u of prozinc
    ● 11:00 am reading of 138
    ● 4:00 pm reading of 469
    ● 4:30 p. 2u of prozinc

He is free ranging as he is hardly eating.
    ● Fancy feast paté
    ● Friskies paté

He was on 3u of prozinc, but it was recommended to lower his dose, due to lack of appetite.

8. Lalkabee

Lalkabee Member

That is a problem. He does need to eat. Do you know why he dont want to eat...stress because of the other cats or new environment.

9. MissJaeden

MissJaeden New Member

He wants kibble. Bad. He doesn't like the paté I've tried every flavor. He's such a grumpy old man. He'll eat Sheba sticks with no complaints, it's the only thing thats 'low carb high protein' I can get him to eat, but I know it's not the best for him. :-(

10. Lalkabee

Lalkabee Member

Where are you from? Asking because you could try adding toppings to the wet food or use this https://www.chewy.com/honest-kitche...iliates&utm_campaign=1101l35946&utm_content=0

11. MissJaeden

MissJaeden New Member

I'm located in New York just north of West Point military academy! USA.

12. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) and Lalkabee like this.
  13. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) and Lalkabee like this.
  14. Lalkabee

Lalkabee Member

15. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Jae, When Trouble came to live with us dry food was the only thing he knew. The family that had him let him eat dog kibble. Poor Trouble :( Having diabetes I KNEW we had to get him off that stuff. So what I did was buy 1 can of Fancy Feast Beef. I put maybe a quarter cup of his dry then mixed in a teaspoon of that FFBeef and he ate it up. I did that for 2- days. Then I started adding more can food and less dry. He finally started eating the can, like he had been doing that his whole life. One thing that did bother me was he would sit and stare at the spot his old bowl of dry use to sit. Boy did I feel like a grinch. :rolleyes::oops::p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.