New Member: 3U BID

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by nancycoxmarafioti, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nancycoxmarafioti

nancycoxmarafioti New Member

I've recently begun 3 units/2 x a day on my recently diagnosed Spunky. We're in our 3rd week.
    Many emotions .

Hearing that there are possibilities of honeymoons gives me hope.

Tonight , I learned my pet sitter would not be able to help with Spunk as he always hides when she arrives, thus, not knowing if she could pry him loose each day I would be away .

I was thinking of options .

hearing that there may be a reprieve down the road for both of us, gives me hope.
    thank you. confused_cat

2. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

Re: Honeymooners duration

Nancy (is that your name or kitty's name?),

Welcome...

What type of insulin are you giving?

3 units twice a day is a very high starting dose. Did your kitty have ketones at diagnosis?

Here are some answers to Frequently Asked Questions <<--- link

It's recommended that you read that page, several times, to get a handle on feline diabetes. You'll learn a great deal and that will help you feel a bit more in control.

We've all been where you are... shocked and confused and worried. But you'll learn so much here and soon you'll be doing great for your kitty.

Pay particular attention to the recommended foods (not vet prescription but low carb wet) and about home testing (using a human glucometer to test the kitty's blood before each shot). These are important parts to the treatment with feline diabetes... BUT NOTE: Do NOT switch food to low carb while you are on such a high dose of insulin. You can start home testing and then post your results.

I've asked that your post be separated to a new thread, if you've not already started one.

Best of luck to you.

3. Catwomanalex79

Catwomanalex79 New Member

Re: Honeymooners duration

Hi Nancy,
    Believe me, it does get better (and easier for you!) and thank you Victoria for writing all the stuff I was thinking for Nancy :D
    Home blood glucose testing saved Merlin's life, through me taking the advice of the wonderful people on here so hang in there :smile:

4. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

Post moved from "Honeymooners" forum. (shadow topic still there)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.