New member and struggling with blood glucose monitoring

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SamanthaLily, May 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamanthaLily

SamanthaLily New Member

My 15 year old female cat was diagnosed with diabetes 3 months ago. I must admit everything from insulin shots has been a struggle but I have managed to get that down.

Lily is known as an aggressive cat so when the vet and I talked about blood glucose monitoring we thought it might be difficult for me to do by myself. My sister had a diabetic cat 20 years ago before ear pricking was known so I was not ok with that and that was what I thought he meant. I resorted to doing urinalysis tests.

I have taken her to another vet for a few blood glucose curves. Recently I have noticed that Lily is not drinking as much water or urinating as much as she did before and other symptoms have improved. I do not want to give her insulin without checking her blood sugar but she just totally freaks out and bites and scratches me. Even just putting vasoline on you would think she was being killed. Even if I do manage to get blood the monitor says the sample is too small. If I have been able to get a reading it has always been very high. I have a one touch ultra 2 monitor and one touch ultrasoft lancets that I use on their own.

I have watched countless videos and read the procedure but all the videos show cats who are well behaved. Every day I say tomorrow is going to be a better day but it never is. Please tell me the secret to succeed on pricking the ear and getting a big enough sample size on an aggressive cat so this is less stressful on me and Lily and it becomes a quick daily routine. Thanks

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

A couple tips. First, what size blood drop does the one touch use? Back when I started, the one touch version then need a lot larger blood drop than other meters. If you get a meter than needs a smaller blood drop, you don't get those "sample too small" messages. Second, what gauge are the lancets you are using? At the beginning it's best to use something in the 26-28 range to make a slightly bigger hole and thus bigger drop size.

We've had lots of cats here who object to ear testing at first. Make sure you are giving treats so they associate good things with testing. There are a bunch of videos and tips in this post on hometesting tips and tricks.

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! One of the best things to do is desensitization. You choose a testing spot and take Lily their multiple times a day. Don’t test, just give a treat and let her go. When she seems a bit more relaxed, add an ear rub, then treat and let her go. Remember that you need to relax too. If you’re expecting a fight usually you will get one. Try singing softly, it really helps.
    When you’re ready to attempt a test, be sure her ear is warm and your lancets are large enough (size 26-28). If you’re using a lancing device be sure to desensitize her to any sound it makes before your attempt.
    We’ve had some members wrap their kitties up un a towel, burrito style, while they learn.
    Another thing to try if Lily is less sensitive on her foot you can test using the paw pad.

Please come back and ask more questions. In the meantime I’ll try to think of some more pointers for you.

4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

My Vet wraps kitties in a towel, called a kitty burrito. I think it would take two to even do that with an aggressive kitty.:(

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, that must be so difficult. I'm one of the lucky ones with a chill cat, but I know if a few of my former strays had to have it done it would not go well. One thing I can suggest is to make it go faster, get the drop and scrape it onto the back of your nail and test from there so you can let the cat go sooner. And always give a treat after a test so that they start to associate the test with a favorite snack... something they love that they only get at test time. For my cat it was cold cuts.

6. Dawnjanell

Dawnjanell Member

That is a great idea! Luckily my newly diagnosed cat is sweet and mellow but I have still struggled with keeping her from shaking her head while touching the test strip to her ear.

jt and trouble (GA) and JanetNJ like this.
  7. SamanthaLily

SamanthaLily New Member

My meter said only requires a speck of blood. The lancets are 28 gauge but ultra thin design so that may make a small blood drop size.

I will definitely look at the videos and tips. I will definitely treat her before, during, and after. Thanks.

Sharon14 and jt and trouble (GA) like this.
  8. SamanthaLily

SamanthaLily New Member

The dropping the blood on the thumbnail is a good idea and giving a blood glucose testing only treat is a great idea thanks.

9. SamanthaLily

SamanthaLily New Member

Thanks desensitization sounds like a great tip. Building up to it without giving her the ear poke and treating her should make it easier. Relaxation, patience, and singing softly. I am ready to try everything. Thanks I will let you know you it goes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.