New Member - any advice welcome

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Whitney W., May 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whitney W.

Whitney W. New Member

Good morning,

I'll admit I've been overwhelmed with my cat, Napoleon, recent diagnosis. He was pre-diabetic two years ago and I found your site and switched his diet to fancy feast chicken pate and monitored his glucose. He immediately showed improvement and returned to normal numbers without insulin. My vet wanted him on insulin right away and of course the dry prescribed food he sold at his office. So, now his numbers have creeped back up. After vomiting the previous night and showing no interest in food, I took him in yesterday and his glucose number was 600. They gave him a B12 shot, fluids and prescription for insulin. He ate a little for me last night and acted more like himself. As of this morning, I tested him again and he was 282, fasted and I was able to convince him to eat a little. I've called around checking on insulin but I've run into the problem of wasted insulin at a high price. The vet wants him on Lantus U-100 #10 ML, give 3IU S/L every 12 hours. After talking to a pharmacist (at Publix), I would essentially be throwing a good amount of insulin away because of it expiring after 28 days at the price of $350 a vial. I know there has to be a better option. I contacted my vet but he's in surgery until this afternoon and will get back to me. Should I test Napoleon again in 1 1/2 hours or 2? Any advice or insight? Thank you for your time. I appreciate all the help.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Most of us here use the Lantus pens (3 ml) capacity even though per unit it costs more since one throws away less if any before the Lantus goes bad. Also, Lantus can be used after it has been opened for more than 28 days provided it has been stored in the fridge and only taken ou to fill a syringe. (the pens are used like a vial). I have used Lantus that has been opened for almost a year when it was used up.
    Many of use getour human insulin like Lantus for Canada, Mark's Marine Pharmacy. A lot less expensive than in the USA. Yu still need a script from your vet.

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Whitney and Napoleon to FDMB. Getting that diabetes diagnosis does feel overwhelming and confusing. Most of us started this journey with the same feelings. Fortunately you have found a resource with information and a very supportive community.
    If you could take some time and create a signature and then a spreadsheet for recording your testing data and then the insulin data when you begin, advising members can read Napoleon's pertinent information right away. The signature will be appended to each of your posts, saving you having to provide the same info over and over.

1. Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.
    2. Another thing that will help us help you now that you've started BG testing at home is to set up a spreadsheet like the one we use here. You will see how the trends and patterns emerge, and members can review his/her progress before offering suggestions or advice:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/

Here is the link to Marks Marine Pharmacy in Canada so you can get an idea of the Lantus costs and the procedure for ordering. https://rxcanada4less.com/

Larry is correct, it's best to get the pens, so you don't waste that precious and very expensive insulin. You can use syringes to extract the insulin, and that allows you to use more or less than just full units of insulin, if you need to. You just use the pen like a larger vial. We have information and videos that explain and show you how to do this.

You can read about Lantus insulin on this forum: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/lantus-basaglar-glargine-and-levemir-detemir.9/ so you can begin to get an understanding of how this insulin works, how to use it and the protocols we use here on FDMB.

Whitney, you have already had Napoleon on a good diet and avoided insulin therapy, making him a diet controlled diabetic. The "prescription" dry food is contributing to the high BG numbers and if you can transition him back, then you will most likely not need the full 3 Unit dose of insulin, which could result in a hypo. It may even be too high a dose to start with now, and I would certainly want the experienced Lantus users to weigh in on that. I am tagging some of those members for input
    @Bobbie And Bubba
    @Chris & China (GA)
    @Wendy&Neko
    @Marje and Gracie

It may be with a diet correction and even a short period of insulin therapy (if needed) that Napoleon can be a diet controlled diabetic again.

Very best wishes and hoping that Napoleon will rejoin us at The Falls where the cats in remission hang out!

4. Whitney W.

Whitney W. New Member

Thank you for the links. I'm currently worrying over him today because he hasn't eaten anything, so I haven't given him any insulin. I took him to the ER vet and they wanted $4,000 to admit him and run further testing, something I cannot afford. He's using the restroom, pee and poop and drinking water (a little) but at this point I don't know how to get him to eat. I tried several different flavors or fancy feast and he just sniffs and walks away. I filled the insulin prescription and am now just waiting... His numbers are in the 300's, pretty steadily, and I don't know what to do at this point. They said I could administer half a dose tonight, if I was comfortable with that option. But, they made it sound like there may be more serious issues. He did not have any ketones in his blood sample, which they said was very good. Right now I'm just letting him rest since he's been moved and prodded so much today. Will continue to read up on the sites suggested. Thank you for all your help and replies. I feel so lost but hope to find my footing soon.

5. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Whitney, I would like you to post in the Main Health forum and/or the Lantus forum so that we can get more experienced advice on Napoleon. He needs to eat, and at this point, whatever he will eat. Are you able to ask the vet for an anti-nausea medication as this may be a serious issue developing. Beechnut baby food meat mixed with warm water might work. Boiled chicken with the broth, no seasonings. Please select this link for some information given to another new member's cat who isn't eating after a diabetic ketoacidosis event, which is a serious condition.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...ice-on-cat-not-eating-after-diagnosis.214220/

You can buy Ketostix at any pharmacy, and try to get a ketone test when he pees.
    @Bobbie And Bubba
    @JanetNJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.