? New Member but already received warm welcome

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Suzanne873, Aug 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suzanne873

Suzanne873 New Member

I jumped right in and asked my first question and received a warm welcome to this community. Taking a step back, I would like to introduce myself and Campy. I rescued her when she was about a year old and we've been together 12 years. She thinks of herself as an independent kitty but she really likes to be "independent together" (some might get that reference) and prefers to have me in her line of sight. However, lately she has sought out spaces away from me including where she sleeps at night. My husband has sweetly said go sleep with Campy in the guest bedroom because she needs me. She is my first cat and totally smitten with felines. I didn't know what I was missing until she came along.

Now to why I am here. Campy was diagnosed with diabetes about 2 weeks ago. She was being treated for pancreatitis thru diet using Hills GD food and this has now turned into diabetes. I switched vets when the pancreatitis wasn’t properly diagnosed to begin with and thought I found a good one that came recommended but based on how they are treating Campy (the things I've described angered a few) I am now looking for yet another new vet. This time I have the interview topic questions in-hand that were shared with me. Thank goodness I can come back here and share my concerns with everyone here and figure out what I should or should not be doing. Looking forward to home testing since she gets so stressed out the vet and would like a more accurate reading.

Issues I am having now is that she looks so “zonked out”. Yesterday she threw up 2x but hasn’t since – I think it was more the quick switch of the food. However, she wasn’t very interested in food last night but did get her to drink tuna water. No food – no shot. She is on 1 unit of Lantus and an antibiotic for a UTI for 4 more days. Her glucose curve on Thursday at the vet was 241 so they didn’t increase her dosage. Today, she’s not very interested in food but eating better than yesterday. I will have to get a scale because she lost more weight. For years and years she was a 9lb kitty, she went up to 11.93 last September and is down to 10 lbs but lost .5 rather quickly since being diagnosed with diabetes.

I would like your opion on her tiredness.

Thanks to all who have been so helpful.

2. Shiloh & Rhonda (GA)

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) Well-Known Member

Just so you know. The GA prefix for the threads means "Guardian Angel," which you would use if your cat has passed. If you have a question, you might want to change it to the "?"

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  3. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey Suzanne and welcome! I'm fairly new here and man am I glad I found this forum. These people know their stuff especially feline diets and dosing. My cat Bubba started isolating also which besides the weight loss, dandruff, and ravenous eating and peeing, I knew something was wrong. He is just started to hang out with us again as he was isolating in the basement which was not too uncommon because he prefers to be cooler but, he was hiding in the basement. I say with great joy, that I have found all his hiding places now. Also, he stopped coming into my bed at night usually around 2 am. He just started coming back to our bedroom recently which to me speaks volumes of his feeling better. So, you are in good company there with the change in behavior and activity level. It's nice to meet you and I am sure I will see you around the forum more. Good luck with Campy.

4. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Hi Suzanne and Campy! So glad you're here with us!

I'd strongly suggest testing for Ketones in the urine. You can buy ketones strips wherever diabetic supplies are sold and at places like Walmart, Target, etc.
    See this link for info on Ketones: http://www.felinediabetes.com/ketones.htm

Not eating, lethargy, vomiting and weight loss are common with Ketones, though it can be due to other medical issues, too. If left untreated, Ketones can turn into DKA, a very serious condition requiring immediate medical attention. Left untreated, your cat's life is in danger.

I'd suggest posting in the Lantus group as we have a lot of wonderful members there to help guide you with Campy's Lantus dosing issues.

You can remove the GA in your prefix/title by clicking on Edit. Otherwise, members will think poor Campy has gone to the Rainbow Bridge. :(

Since Campy is showing several symptoms that are of great concern, I'd suggest editing your prefix from GA to 911. That will get more members' attention here and more people to help you. I'd also suggest revising your title to say something like Cat Not Eating Well and Looks Zonked Out.

Again, welcome to FDMB!

5. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Home testing is a must while Campy is on insulin. Shooting insulin without first checking BG (blood glucose) numbers first is like driving blindly. Home testing ensures better management of your cat's diabetes and insulin doses.

Here are some links to handy tips and videos: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/testing-and-shooting-tips.85113/

What food are you feeding Campy? I remember you were on the Dry Food thread. Have you changed his diet yet? I think we gave you a link but just in case, here's the guide to finding low carb canned/wet/raw food under 10%: http://www.catinfo.org/docs/FoodChartPublic9-22-12.pdf

Any questions, just ask! We will be happy to help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.