New Member - could use some help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Laurie DW, Apr 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laurie DW

Laurie DW New Member

My 11 year old cat was diagnosed yesterday. She's on 1 unit of Lantus twice a day. I just did my first injection awhile ago and I'm not sure how it went because I couldn't even feel it go in, I'm assuming it did, and she definitely flinched so I guess it did because the syringe was empty. But I'm curious how soon she will start to feel a little better. I've already switched out the food, Fancy Feast Classic wet food and Natural Instincts Dry and Purina DM is on the way.

I'm also curious about what happens if they miss a day or two. Does anyone have experience with a really skittish cat? This cat rarely lets ME touch her, now I'm supposed to give her shots twice a day and a possibility of a stranger giving them to her while I'm occasionally out of town? Just wondering if anyone else has an otherwise antisocial cat that actually gets used to all of this.

Feeling really scared, really overwhelmed and the other cats and I are watching her every movement hoping for improvement soon. Thanks to everyone, so glad to find this group!

Gwennie's Mom

2. Voula

Voula Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board. It is very overwhelming at first but it gets easier with time. It is such a fine and small needle and the amount injected is so small that sometimes you question whether the injection was good. There are many skittish cats who do get used to the injections and the testing too. Some people skip the occasional dose if they are out of town so don't worry too much about that now.

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.

It can be helpful to use a low carb treat to reward the cat each time you give a shot or test the glucose.

4. Louellen

Louellen Member

When I was giving my previous cat (over 10 years ago now and have to start again with another cat) insulin, I would often wonder at first if I had gotten it in too. I would give a quick swipe of the fur to see if there was wetness around it (meaning, I had missed). If there was...there was NO telling whether I got some in or not so, I'd just wait until the next dose. Better to be safe than over-insulinate and worry about hypoglycaemic reactions which can be more dangerous than higher blood sugar for 12 hours or so.

As for what to do about a cat that is now suspicious of you....well, giving a treat while you're giving the injection (knowing that they've eaten a meal before you do), helps as does (if you can), having someone give lovely pats/head scratching. Sometimes, I'd give the injection just as my previous cat was finishing the last few mouthfuls of his food and he'd barely notice me even there.
    But, like you....this cat is NOT like my previous diabetic cat and holds a grudge! I don't know how I'm going to do this with this one. I'm having trouble with her even eating the lower carb foods!

Just know that you're not alone and eventually, you will come to a way of getting your cat to come out of hiding or come near you to give the shots. They don't feel it much at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.