New Member - Cupcake

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Cupcake, Oct 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

Greetings Everyone!

We've already presented ourselves on the Health theme :)
    I've joined this forum just a few days ago so I'am an absolute noob here. Have already created my fluffy's SS.
    I don't know if we should be classed to this group or to the tight protocol theme. I have no possibility to adjust dosing by 0,5 or 0,25 because I'm using Lantus Solostar pen. I live in Lithuania (I'm not an English speaker, sorry, if any) and have some troubles to find syringes for Lantus U100. I'll try to find out more about the situation in my country asap.

I've faced the problem of low PMPS numbers. As You can see from Cupcake's SS, I reduced the dose yesterday. Tonight I decided to stick to 3. We've just had our usual dose and, of course, an evening meal right after injection.
    I'm worried about the situation. Why do I see blues in the evening not during the day? I am aware about carryover and overlap, however, do not know how to act in such the cases? And why Cupcake's "nadir???" is before his evening shot? Shall I check his BG frequently after tonight's shot?
    I would really appreaciate Your help, because the only support I have is this amazing forum :(

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Re: New Member - Cupcake - LOW PMPS numbers

Based on the numbers in your spreadsheet, I believe would continue with the same dose. You have 1 weeks worth of test data with nadirs which show he is not going too low.

Now that you are testing at mid-cycle to see how low he goes, you may drop your no shot limit to 150 mg/dL. Just to be on the safe side, be sure you have some Karo syrup and high carb food available, if he should go too low (from the chart posted in your original thread - 50 mg/dL)

We'll see how he does holding steady at 3 units morning and night.

Edited to add: and 2 other users disagree with me, below. You hold the syringe.

3. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

BJM, thanks, You've put me at ease :coffee:

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

The dose of 3u is too high; do not continue with that dose.
    Two days in a row, your ss shows a drop straight down in the daytime 12 hour cycle, so anyone saying to stick with 3u dose is wrong.

Are you using syringes to extract the insulin from the pens, or are you using the needles that attach to the end of the pens?
    If you are using pen needles, please the U100 syringes. If you are using syringes that are whole units, see if you can get some syringes with 1/2 unit markings on the barrel. If none are available, we can tell you about the drop method to twist out the excess insulin from a 3u measurement.

On Oct9, the numbers dropped from the 290 to 160 in the 12hours and you shot 1 hour late because of the low number.
    On Oct10, you shot one hour early and the numbers dropped from 330 to 195 in the 12hours.
    Ideally, you want to see a curve like a U where its the lowest somewhere in the middle of the 12hours, and then a rise to the next shot time.

If you need pictures of the syringes, or an explanation of the twist method to take out extra insulin if you can't get syringes with 1/2 unit markings, just ask and we can post pictures.

Gayle

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Gayle, this is an international user from Lithuania, with no current access to U-100 pens.

Due to only having the pen (no half unit dosing), we may need to finagle with the diet to keep the glucose and insulin matching up.

6. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Gayle

No they are not using syringes yet as they are not in the US but Lithuania and having trouble locating U100 syringes this was explained in the initial post.

I do however agree that 3u is too high because of the straight line drop... My personal recommendation would be to fall back to 1u hold the dose for at least a week and then decide if a dose increase is needed.

Hopefully by then we will know if Ruta (hope I spelled that correct) & Cupcake can locate a source for the proper syringes.

Ruta you really do need to drop the dose back for Cupcake's safety. Lantus is a depot insulin where one shot builds on the next. Think of it as like trying to fill a funnel. If you pour too fast the water over flows the top (hypo) if you pour too slowly the level at the top of the funnel drops. What we need to find is a dose that keeps the top of the funnel even without splashing out the top.

It is going to be much safer for Cupcake if we let the level of his funnel drop a little bit as we figure out how fast we need to pour than letting it over flow even for a little bit. Too high will kill over time too low can kill very quickly...Does that make sense?

Mel, Maxwell, Autumn and The Fur Gang

7. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I would start a post and make the Subject something like Where to get 1/2 unit markings syringes in Lithuania/area.
    Any syringes at all would be better than the pen needles.
    Get some of the other members to help out

Gayle

8. cjleo

cjleo Member

Ruta,

Welcome to the board. Sorry you are having difficulty finding U-100 syringes, but am very happy you have access to Lantus. How about asking your vet for U-40 veterinary insulin syringes? There is a conversion table that would allow you to microdose using the U-40 syringes.

Not surprised that you can't find U-100 syringes. The Lantus and Levimir manufacturers are trying to move everyone to the flex pen. They are not sensitive to people (or cats) that need dosing in .5 or .25 units.

Best of luck with Fluffy.

Claudia

9. MommaOfMuse

Claudia you are my Angel and one smart cookie..

Ruta that would be a perfect solution I didn't even think about using the conversion chart in reverse. Since so much of Europe uses Canninsulin U40 syringes should be readily available from your vet then we can just use the conversion chart in reverse.. problem solved

10. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

We'll need to make a reference gauge, since there won't be good markings for small doses. I'll have to get you the link when I'm on a PC again.

Or use a ruler w/ millimeter markings, line it up to the base of the syringe and count off tick marks per unit, then decide how many tick marks to give. Not perfect, but useful.

11. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

Morning here :coffee:
    (In Lithuanian my name is Ruta and it means Ruth in English. You may call me as You wish, most English speakers call me Ruth)

Your support is above rubies, thank You! I was almost sleeping last night, reading the Board on my mobile phone. When I read all the answers You gave to me, my sleepiness went away. I couldn't fall asleep at all, was always thinking: start from 1U or keep 3U... I was so happy seeing these few blues. A full remission (recovery) is the only mind in my head and the only feeling in my heart at the moment. I do think high Cupcake's BG numbers are PREDNISOLONE INDUCED.

In Lithuania vets are unaware of any tight protocols and the majority of them do not want to go deep into the treatment of feline diabetes. And You know why? Because FD ir rather rare desease so it is not worth it!!! They just prescribe caninsulin and recommend to come for a blood test after a week or two (this is how Cupcake's father faded away a couple of months ago, from hypo, of course :sad:). They even don't know about home testing and believe this is absolutely ineffective. I talked to my vet few days ago, sent him the protocol by e-mail. He can't even read in English! Furthermore, he doesn't believe that 0,25 or 0,5 dose can have any effect at all! I think almost every vet here believes that 0,25 or 0,5 dose is so insignificant that there is no need even to talk about it!

But on the other hand, a friend of mine, who is a cat breeder, have cured the diabetes of her two cats this way! She started from 2U and after a few days passed on 3U, then on 4U (keeped it just for 4-6 days). She used Lantus Solostar pen too. When she saw greens, she just stopped giving insulin. Both cats are absolutely OTJ now! I can write out her readings if it is interesting for You.

So this was the only information I had. Then I started reading, found CatInfo.org and this valuable Board. That's my story.

Cupcake was at 365 this morning. I gave him 1U. I do trust You and want to do anything I can. However, I feel his sugar will be so high at 1U and we will have to live through those high numbers all the week ;(

Will write regarding the syringes I've found here soon. Going for my first cup of morning coffee.

12. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

I've found some syringes here!!! I know You can't read in Lithuanian, but maybe You can understand those numbers, here are the links below:

http://www.vaistine.lt/Svirkstai/Zi...atalogStoreDetail.aspx?CatID=PL_797&ID=341562

http://www.vaistine.lt/Svirkstai/Ki...atalogStoreDetail.aspx?CatID=PL_797&ID=341654

http://www.vaistine.lt/Svirkstai/Te...atalogStoreDetail.aspx?CatID=PL_797&ID=341527

Are these syringes OK??? The needles are so long ohmygod_smile ohmygod_smile ohmygod_smile
    What does 1 mm mean? And, for example, 0,33x12mm?? I can't understand these numbers.

13. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

Gayle, BJM, Claudia, MommaOfMusse, thank You for holding my hand.
    We are going to stick to 1U for a week and will see how it works (despite high numbers, yes?). I will use my Solostar pen for the meantime and will try to buy syringes, search for short needles asap.
    I'm taking my best friend to another vet this weekend. Will talk about syringes with her too.

Hugs, hugs, hugs to You! I don't kow what I would do without You all :*

Have just arrived from a pharmacy. I have bought one syringe, just for having a feel. The needle of the syringe is intended for horses, not cats ;( 12 mm! http://www.vaistine.lt/Svirkstai/Te...atalogStoreDetail.aspx?CatID=PL_797&ID=341527 These 12 mm needles are the shortest I can get in my country. Will try to find out if I can make an individual order to my pharmacy and get shorter ones :YMSIGH:

14. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Basically, you just need a 1 mL syringe or smaller for a human, like an allergy or tuberculin syringe. We can figure it out from there by taking the concentration of the insulin per mL, the syringe size and markings, and figure out what mark will equal what dose.

15. Dana & Thomas

Dana & Thomas Member

Hi Ruta,
    As I mentioned, I never used, lantus, but I do read lithuanian. The third syringes have the smallest diameter needle, so you may want to order those. My uncle was a vet in Lithuania,and you are right, he specialized in farm animals.
    The needle on the third one is also only 1/2 inch long,so it is not too bad. When Thomas was first diagnosed that was about the type of syringe we could get.
    Dana

16. MommaOfMuse

@Dana thank you so much for being our bridge to the language gap ♥

Ruta we are happy to call you by the name your parents gave you. :) Unless of course you prefer the English version.

Yes for now stick with the 1u for a week and then if we need to we can adjust upwards later if he needs more because above all we want to keep your precious Cupcake safe. Especially if there is a chance that he is a steroid induced diabetic because many of those are what are called transient diabetics and can go into remission very quickly. The other reason why we are pushing so hard to find a way for you to be able to give smaller doses.

One thing I want to explain is that even if he does go into remission he will always be a diabetic he will simply be a diet controlled one. He will never again be able to eat high carb dry food and even then there is a chance that he will fall out of remission later in life and have to go back on insulin. The good news is that now you will always be able to test him at home and know he's okay.

There is no need to thank us, we are happy to do it because we all started out right where you are now scared &worried for our fluffy friend. We are simply paying it forward for the help and hand holding we got when we were wide eyed newbies and before long you will be part of the next generation of hand holders and will be here guiding the next generation of newbies.

17. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I used Google Translate to see if I could find other options, since the one identified appears out of stock.

Any of the syringes up to 1 mL for U-100 insulin may work.
    Other 1mL syringes may work, such as those for tuberculin.

Larger syringes may not have half unit markings, which can make it hard to measure, but we can work around that.

18. Dana & Thomas

Dana & Thomas Member

Hi Ruta,
    It is funny, but I know many Lithuanian girls named Ruta from when I was a kid, and all of them went by Ruta. I guess because we were first generation our parents gave us very Lithuanian names. Anyhow, my offer still stands, I have 60 of the insulin syringes which are the ones with 1/2 unit marking, short needle. They have been in the cupboard for a year because we have not needed them.

Edited to add'
    I looked up the web page for the brand of syringe many of us use. It says Lithuania uses the Swedish office.
    Here is the link for the Swedish page; you would want the last entry syringe:
    http://www.bd.com/se/diabetes/page.aspx ... 4&id=32267. They should at least know who in Lithuania stocks them.

Dana

19. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

Hello from me and Cupcake,

I've found out the situation regarding syringes in Lithuania. The smallest markings we have is 2U markings :(
    [​IMG][/url][/img]
    I've bought one syringe and took some photos to show You:
    [​IMG][/url][/img]
    [​IMG][/url][/img]

As You may see it's quite impossible to measure 0,5 not to talk about 0.25, because one little graduation marks 2U.
    I've found out syringes on Ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-xBD-1...l_Supplies_Disposables_ET&hash=item33864ab2d9

Are they suitable? Can I order them? Or shall I look for better ones?
    Cupcake has a temperature: 39,7°C yesterday and 39,6°C today.
    We are waiting for blood test results this evening.

Dear Dana,
    Nowadays the name Ruta is popular too :)
    I've called to a post office today and they said that no medical goods, including syringes, are allowed into Lithuania without a prior consent of the Ministry of Health ohmygod_smile ohmygod_smile ohmygod_smile It doesn't matter if You are sending from USA or from any EU country. I'll try to order from UK (ebay), however there is a possibility that a parcel would be confiscated or returned to a sender. I'm falling into despair.

20. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Re: New Member - Cupcake - No possibility to get syringes so

Those look good - I see an image which has 1/2 on it, suggesting half unit markings, which would be perfect.

Magnifiers may help you estimate small doses. There may be eye glasses clip on magnifiers, visor maginfiers, and free-standing magnifiers on your E-Bay or Amazon.

See if you can get your vet to intervene with the legal import issue, or perhaps try your government representative and point out the problem. Maybe start a specialty medical supply company youself!

21. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

BJM, hi!

I took a risk and ordered these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BD-Micro-...ity_Disability_Medical_ET&hash=item2ec5cf6eff

I'm trying to get some vets to help me regarding the issue. I've found BD representative in Lithuania and asked if they could order these syringes. It will take a while. A specialty medical supply company sounds challenging. However, it would require to move heaven and earth...

Could You please have a look at Cupcake's SS? What do You all think? I look at the numbers with a heavy heart. Will do a BG curve in a few days.

22. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

Good evening,

Have just updated Cupcake's SS. I think I'll need a dose increase soon. Waiting for my syringes to come. But this will take a while. I have two options now: wait for about a week and increase his dose by 0,5U or increase the dose by 1U after a few days (using my Solostar pen) :roll:

23. MommaOfMuse

That is kind of like being between a rock and a hard place but I think you are probably safe to go ahead and increase to 2u with the pen for now. Just make sure you test as often as possible just to make sure he isn't dropping too low. The biggest problem with the pens is they don't always deliver the same dose every time. But his nadirs are still high enough to warrant a dose increase.

24. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Also, because it might be a bit too much insulin, have available some higher carb foods, or have some syrup/honey/dextrose/etc in case he should go too low.

You can make a simple gravy with flour, water, and some of the canned food, then freeze it to have on hand if needed. Then just toss it into a pot or microwave to thaw it quickly if needed.

25. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

Welcome, Ruta! I have an aunt named Ruth, but we used to call her "Rootie" - not sure why. she is now a lawyer and sticks with Ruth. :smile:

The ladies here are leading you with their wisdom. I hope syringes come to you very soon. Do what you can, even if it means using the U-40s and converting the number.

Cedric went into remission back in 2011 while using Lantus and a diet change. The reason he went back on insulin (in hindsight) is that his pancreas was having problems. But MommaofMuse has a diabetic that has been in remission for 3 years (Cedric's brother from another Mother, he and Maxwell looked alike). Hopefully with some work and changes, Cupcake will go the same route.

Blessings and good luck to you!

26. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

Hello,
    I'm totally lost. Still waiting for my syringes to come. I do hope I'll receive them till Friday. However, this can take longer. I do want to increase Cupcake's dose by 0,5U and start giving him 1,5U not 2U now. So yes, I am asking again, I know and I'm sorry, but You all know more than me. I'm just learning. Maybe it would be wiser to wait and keep 1U till I get my syringes? Or shall I give him 2U? Today is the 6th day we are on 1U.

BJM, I have some maple syrup at home. Is it ok in case of hypo? I just want to be prepared just in case. How shall I give Cupcake the syrup? Make him drink a teaspoon of it? Or mix it into his bowl of water? Any suggestions? He do not drink much so maybe it would be better to make him drink a teaspoon of syrup?

Doombuggy, nice to meet You and hello. Thanks for Your respects. As far as I understand Your Cedric is back on insulin at the moment, isn't it? I'm sorry to hear that. I hope the things will clear up soon!

27. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

Does the syurp you have have sugar in it? that should work if it does. I have used another brand of syurp on Cedric in a pinch when he went really low one day. Cedric actually passed away on October 2nd due to acute necrtizing pancreatitis (not sure if I spelled that correctly). He has had at least two pancreatitis attacks since mid-July and this organ just gave out on him. I am heartbroken but my other cat is doing his best to cheer me up.

28. MommaOfMuse

If you can wait until you get the syringes then it would definitely be best to wait and slowly raise his dose by .5u rather than a full unit at a time that the solostar pens allow.

Yes maple syrup will work fine in case of hypo. As far as how to use it that is easy you simply rub a little bit on his gums. It takes very little to raise his blood sugar and you don't want to give very much at a time since cats don't normally eat sweets too much can upset their tummy.

Jesse's Cedric just recently passed away do to problems with his pancreas unregulated to his diabetes

29. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

Oh, me dumb, I should have looked at Jesse's signature. I'm so sorry. I know how heartbreaking it is. That's why I try to spread the news regarding FD treatment in my country. Every little fluffy is worth it. And every who passes on to Rainbow Bridge will live in our hearts forever.
    Yes, the maple syrup is full of sugar (have just licked it).
    Besides Cupcake's high BG I'm worried about his blood test results. They suggest some kind of infection or inflammation. Will try to do everything I can to find out the cause.
    Waiting for syringes... Looking at his high BG readings... Going to register with a vet for the second visit.
    Cupcake sleeps almost 24/7. He is loosing his weight. This makes me more than sad every day.

30. MommaOfMuse

infection can raise BGs so that is definitely something you want to have checked

31. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

I had a long discussion with my husband tonight and we decided to move on 2U BID from tomorrow morning. It could take a week for syringes to come (I've tracked the shipment, it's still in the UK) and we are on 1U for 6 days already. As You can see, he is still too high and I feel it's the time to increase. Too high BG for such a long period will do no good for our baby. I'll be able to adjust dosing by 0,5U when I get syringes. We'll try to stick to 2U now. I'll be checking Cupcake frequently and I do need Your support so very much!

As regards the initial dose indicated in The Tight Regulation Protocol, it is 0,25U/kg of ideal weight, so I think his initial dose is much more than 1U (0,25 * 7 kg = 1,75U).

32. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

That's a reasonable decision.

You may find you have to adjust the food carbs a little in order to balance the insulin you are actually able to shoot (whole units at present).

33. MommaOfMuse

Sounds like a plan especially where you had him higher in dose and he didn't hypo but once you have the ability to dose in smaller increments you will want to so you don't skip over his ideal dose.

34. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

Good day and thank You for beeing here! :coffee:
    BJM, could You please explain to me how to adjust the food carbs? :shock: I have no idea how I can balance the insulin and adjust the food carbs. Is there something I should know?
    MommaOfMuse, I hope his ideal dose is not 1,5U and I haven't skipped it so far. Cupcake is like a walking skeleton with a huge appetite. It's so painful to see him so lean :(

35. MommaOfMuse

Should his ideal dose be 1.5 then he will let us know and once you have your syringes we will just help you dial back his dose.

Oh Hon I feel your pain in how thin Cupcake is right now, when I adopted Autumn her previous owner didn't treat her diabetes for over 10months. She is a large framed girl but the day I picked her up she didn't even weigh 5 lbs...today she is healthy and happy 14lbs which is her ideal weight. She may always be insulin dependent but so what? She is still my happy fluffy girl.

36. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

After 3-5 days on your current dose, you will see if he is going to go too low (the chart I posted previously). If he heads towards numbers that are too low (which would normally get a reduction of 0.25 units), you would mix in higher carb food to his regular meal to offset the excess insulin. You'd have to test various combinations until you found a level that worked. For safety, I would start with a medium carb food, then mix in measured amounts of the low carb until you achieved good glucose levels. In other words, instead of adjusting the insulin dose, you adjust the carb amount.

It's a compromise between an insulin pen which can't do quarter or half unit doses and not giving him enough insulin to control his glucose.

37. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

BJM, thank You for the explanation, I understand now! :)
    Well, today his BG is relatively high. Could it be a rebound? Can't wait to see his blues...
    We are going to visit our vet on Monday noon because of Cupcake's temperature and possible inflammation / infection.

Have a nice weekend! :coffee:

38. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

Re: Any comments regarding SS are welcome

Good morning,
    I'm a little bit lost seeing Cupcake's numbers. They were yellow at 1U and his BG is rising from the moment I started 2U dose. Any ideas? I think it might be a rebound. But isn't it too long for a rebound to exist? What do You think about the numbers on our spreadsheet?
    Any thoughts and comments are welcome very much.

39. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If he is sick, that is often a cause of increased glucose. You have to eliminate that first before determining what the reason may be for increased levels.

40. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

Dear BJM,

our vets are not as qualified as they should be here :( Ok, blood test suggests some kind of inflammation / bacterial (or) viral infection. How can I determine the exact cause and treat it? Just give him antibiotics? I'm falling into despair. His BG is 342 now ;(

41. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

Yes, I frequently feel like living in the Third World. We are a young post-soviet country and the opinion of vets is: "Why bother trying to treat a cat? Why do you spend so much money? You need to put your unhealthy kitty down and take a new one." This is how they think. Our vets know just antibiotics and prednisolone. No one cares so much as here, in US.
    Cupcake is all that I have, he is my best friend ;( And this language gap... ;( I'm making my every effort to do the best I can :(

42. Dana & Thomas

Dana & Thomas Member

Yes I understand. My father believed that a cat's purpose was to catch mice, and he so could not understand when we treated Thomas. As tikrai supykau, ir jam pasakiau kad cia Mano ne tavo pinigai.
    If you need help with translation I will try to help.
    Dana

43. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Maybe they will learn from you that a cat can be part of a family, not just a tool for catching mice.

You do the best you can with treating your kitty. Adjust the insulin as needed based on your testing of his glucose.

44. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

Dana, BJM, thank You.
    I've adjusted his dose and shot 3U tonight. 7 cycles of 2U showed it is not enough. Still waiting for my syringes...
    Going to a vet tomorrow, wish us luck and have a look at our readings, please confused_cat

45. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Ruta and Cupcake!

Ruta, your english is just fine, I don't have a problem understanding you. You are doing wonderful with Cupcake.

BIG HUG,

46. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

Hello Lyresa,

I appreciate Your support, thanks. However, I don't think we're doing great ;( Everyday my Cupcake gets thinner and thinner. He's thin as stick, have no idea how to help him faster.

47. Dana & Thomas

Dana & Thomas Member

Ruta,
    Did they check Cupcake's thyroid? As I have mentioned I never used lantus, but truth be told, when Thomas was first diagnosed, I was always getting preshots in the 20's. Back in those days it was a different insulin I used, it has now been discontinued. But when our other cat, Furball, starting getting skinny, it was because he had an overactive thyroid. Just something to put out there, I don't know if other people will agree with me that the thyroid should be checked.
    When I was a girl, we always had cats, and the one time that mice did get into the house, he did not know what to do with it; he thought it was a toy!
    Dana

48. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

Good day,

Danute, no, they didn't check his thyroid. I'm taking Cupcake to our vet today, will definitely talk about it, thanks!!!

I have some good news :) I got them, I got them!!! Syringes :D With 1/2 U markings!!! I would have never thought I would be so happy to get syringes! :)))) Is there any special technique to draw insulin from my pen into a syringe? Is there anything I should know? Could You please share some links showing how to draw insulin from pen?

49. Dana & Thomas

Dana & Thomas Member

Ruta,
    I found this link on this board, and at the end there is a short u tube tube video, showing you how to draw up your lantus from a pen.
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=151
    Danute

50. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

Thank You, Dear Danute!
    We've made urinalysis today and the results are not good at all :( I've posted to the general Health theme for an advice. Will start giving Cupcake antibiotics, I hope this will help :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.