New Member - Eli and his meowmie

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Meowmie, Aug 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meowmie

Meowmie New Member

Found out today that my Eli is diabetic. A couple of weeks ago, he had a lion cut and he always seems so skinny afterwards, I thought it was my imagination, but we weighed him yesterday - he had lost 5 lbs since March, so in went to the vet this morning. He is starting on Lantus insulin, he goes back in the morning to check on his electrolytes.

Eli is a Himalyan I adopted in 2006, he's approximately 11 years old and the first cat I have had with diabetes. I lost a kitty to fibrosarcoma on 29 July, also have a 20 yr old calico with crf, as well as six other kitties ranging from 4 to 13 years. Add to the medical situation, my vet of 13 years had moved this past winter and we were not a good fit with his replacement.

All of our lives will change some more with Eli's diagnosis.

2. vansplic

vansplic Member

I don't have much to offer other than a warm welcome as I am a newbie here too. But I can tell you the people here are AWESOME and will help you in any way they can. It sounds like you have a lot of experience with special kitties, it will help make the learning curve a lot easier!

3. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Eli,

Welcome! Everyone here has or had a diabetic cat and there is a wealth of information here for you. It sounds like you have had your hands full; congrats on taking up the diabetics sugar dance. Start with the FAQ's and then read, read, read.

We think diet, insulin and hometesting are vital. Check out this website written by a vet to see why wet lo carb food is best: http://www.catinfo.org BUT don't change the diet until you are hometesting. Diet change can mean much lower bg levels and less insulin needed. Here are some sites on hometesting: http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/harry/bgtest.htm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zE12-4fVn8

Come back often with questions and concerns. We would love to help.

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to FDMB.

Sue has already given you some good advice, so I won't repeat it. Feline diabetes is one of the most manageable diseases you cat could get and usually can be controlled through a proper diet and insulin. We do recommend learning to hometest. You will find that will help immensely in getting Eli's diabetes under control.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have, even if you are not sure it is worth asking. We have all been in your place and always willing to help.

Lisa

5. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi there,
    welcome to the FDMB!
    I'm going to give you some more links to help you along.

Highly recommend home testing. You don't need vet's permission to do this. You can pick up a human meter at any pharmacy as well.
    Consumer Reports Meter Reviews
    Home Testing Links

Please do read through Dr Lisa's link on Feline Nutrition. Hopefully your vet won't send you home with prescription dry food, but if so, please do read this:
    Dr Lisa's Feline Nutrition

Many of us feed a low carb wet food diet. This plays a big role in managing feline diabetes. This chart will help you choose a low carb option.
    Janet & Binky's Food Charts

Your vet will want to check for ketones in the urine. This can also be done at home with a Ketostix kit, available in any pharmacy.
    Ketones is not something you want to have sneak up on you.
    Ketones

Very important to print these two out and keep nearby.
    Jojo's Hypo Tool Kit
    How To Treat Hypo

Lastly, a little information on how to handle Lantus and a link to the dosing protocol many of us use in the Lantus forum.
    Proper Handling & Storage of Lantus/Levemir
    Tilly's Protocol: Modified Version

Let us know how we can help! Post here often and do visit the Lantus forum, read the information stickies there, familiarize yourself with Lantus.
    Good luck!

6. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Well sounds like you are getting plenty of good advice so I won't add any. Just a hearty welcome to FDMB family! You are now in the absolutely best place in the world to help your kitty live a long and healthy life.

Mel & Muse (GA)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.