New member - first week doing insulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jack & Jill Mom, Jan 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack & Jill Mom

Jack & Jill Mom New Member

Hi all. I'm really happy I found all this info. My 10 yr old girl Jill was diagnosed on the 9th and I started insulin the evening of the 11th, so we've been at it for a week. I'm trying to do a curve today but I started a little late.

The vet started her on 1u Novolin-N which I see isn't everyone's favorite choice but I said I'd see how it goes. She seems like she's still been a bit high lately? I haven't pulled her off dry 100% yet because I wanted to slowly wean her off it. It's mostly wet with a bit of the Purina DM dry.

All of this has been made a little complicated because I have to have surgery myself early next month. Fortunately my mother is comfortable doing her shots while I'm out of commission but I'm not sure how much/when I can reliably home test again. Bending or lifting anything will be tough for a bit. Thus trying to do more of it now.

Based on how it's going so far should I see if her dose/insulin needs adjusting before I have surgery or just stay the course for now?

2. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Checked your Spreadsheet - What a nice Spreadsheet, you are already on the go and what nice Blue bg numbers too! I'm very impressed.

3. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

So sorry that Jill's diabetes starts while you are waiting for surgery.

The Novolin is an NPH insulin and I see in your Spreadsheet you sometimes have given 1,25 Units but most often 1 Unit. Stay the course for now and try get more bg test so we get a better picture before your surgery and any dose adjustings.

4. Jack & Jill Mom

Jack & Jill Mom New Member

Thanks :) The first attempt at home testing didn't go so good and I was thinking there's no way I can keep this up... But I took some advice, got the 28g lancets, and with a bit of time she doesn't really protest now or act like it's painful or anything. Just doesn't always like to be manhandled or held still. I'm hoping she can put on a bit of weight again soon too.

JanetNJ likes this.
  5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

It certainly looks like Jill is seeing good numbers!! However, it also looks like you're not getting good duration with the Novolin. This is the downside of that particular insulin.

Sorry about the upcoming surgery. Having had hip surgeries, I wasn't allowed to bend either. A friend pointed out that neither Good Housekeeping nor Martha Stewart were coming for a visit, so put things you'll need where you don't have to bend to reach them. That meant the cat food went from the floor to the kitchen island. It took all of about 5 minutes for my cat to figure out she could jump onto a chair and onto the island to get her meals. She was also at a good height for tests and shots. I don't know if that solution will work for you but there is likely a similar option (e.g., the bathroom counter) that will.

Juls and Billy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.