new member- going crazy over cat food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Laura and Tucker, May 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laura and Tucker

Laura and Tucker New Member

My special boy, Tucker is 12 years old and was diagnosed 2 weeks ago. My vet advised to change his diet before resorting to insuling but I have to say that I am overwhelmed and am becoming a cat food label fanatic. Tucker had been eating 1/3 can of Friskies and free fed Hill's c/d- he had crystals when he was 5. Now the vet tells me the c/d contributed to his diabetes. She advised to feed only canned food and sent us home with hill's m/d and purina d/m. Tucker will have nothing to do with either and after all I have read I question if that is the best choice. Tucker is also very concerned that there is no dry food. I live in Hamilton, Ontario so many of the foods I have seen suggested are not available here and the ones that are, are very expensive. So far not having much luck with the ones I have tried. Tucker just wants his canned Friskies- will give Fancy Feast a few nibbles and completely turns his nose at canned Evo and Wellness flavours I have tried, his 2 kitty "brothers" are more than happy to help him out with it though. If I separate Tucker from them to eat that becomes an issue and he doesn't eat anything at all. I finally bought a bag of Wellness Core and am letting him have a bit- 1/2 c. split between the 3 cats and keep trying him with canned. Tucker is a nibbler and won't eat very much at a meal- I am worried that he won't eat enough and I am not here during the day to keep offering him snacks. Help!!

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Well honestly depending on what kind of friskies you are feeding, there is nothing wrong with feeding him that.

The prescription food isn't high quality and will only make you poorer, you can get the effects you need with can foods.

So, which friskies are you feeding - we can look to see where that falls on the binky chart.

I get the problem about dry, had the same issue here - all I can say is you need to persevere. Have you read Dr. Lisa's site about transitioning cat to wet food? www.catinfo.org

Check it out, lots of information, helpful tips.

Another thing you may want to try is raw food. It's actually a really good alternative, especially for a kitty with multiple issues and you can purchase commercial raw - nature's variety is one, feline pride - mail order only (a bit $$) but good option.

don't get frustrated, try some of Dr. Lisa's tips and have patience lots of it.

I had three dry food addicts and it took me a couple months to convert them, alot of heartache and angst. But one year later - no more dry in the house and everyone eats canned and raw food.

3. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I can't help but admire your cat's name :oops:

My own Tucker was a dry food addict before coming to live with me. He eats Fancy Feast now, all my cats do.

One thing you could try is switching all your cats to the Friskies canned only, feed them breakfast and dinner. For daytime snacks, take some canned Friskies and place it in ice cube trays to freeze, then take them out in the mornings before work and let them thaw during the day. This will give your nibblers food to eat during the day.

4. Laura and Tucker

Thank you so much for your quick replies. So nice to know that there are people out there that understand how much I love my cat and how I am feeling right now. It's comforting to know that you and your kitty friend have managed this successfully.
    Tucker loves Friskies Chicken & Gravy and Beef & Gravy but I know they aren't good for him. He will eat Chicken Dinner for one day and sometimes only one meal, loves fish ones- Mariner's Catch, Whitefish & Tuna, Seafood. He liked the Beef Dinner but I can't seem to get it anymore.
    I have tried EVO, Wellness-Chicken, Beef & Chicken, Chicken & Herring. Tucker hated them- the other 2 cats took care of it for him.
    Have given him a few of the suggested Fancy Feast-no go- so frustrated that I didn't remember to write down which ones
    SophistaCat- Prime Entree and Beef & Liver were good for one meal
    SophistaCat Supreme Gourmet Chicken and Tender Beef both made it through one day. I have Feline Cuisine-Chopped Grill,Beef & LIver,Liver& Chicken in cupboard to try .
    The kitty "brothers" of course think it's all delicious. They have all always gotten canned food along with the dry. It is the plan to eliminate the dry for all of them. Tucker will only eat a little bit at a time and if the other 2 even look at his bowl he leave. I can't leave food down for him because the other two will gobble it up as fast as their little tongues can lick. If I put Tucker in another room- he stresses so much that he won't eat anything at all. God help us if we try to shut a door completely tight at our house!! So far the most he's eaten is about 3 -4 oz. in a day over 3 meals. This was never a concern before because he had the dry food available all the time.

5. Laura and Tucker

6. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

I must say bravo to your vet for recommending the canned food, although there are other better quality canned foods, as you know and have tried. I think you've made a good choice with the Wellness Core and trying to transition him slowly. Diabetic cats need to eat, even if it is dry food, just use the better, no grain dry foods. Well done!

7. Laura and Tucker

Thanks Vicky for your pat on the back- I need all the reassurance I can get right now. I love Tucker so much, I just want to help him. I have done lots and lots of reading. I can't get many of the foods that are recommended here and what I can get it seems that the flavours are very limited. I envy all the choices you have in the states.

8. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Hi Laura,

We have several members in Ontario -- they may be able to help with suggestions for low carb foods that you can find.

Please start a new post with a title to catch their attention, like:

Newbie in Ontario needs food help

Also -- it is hard to convert a dry food addict -- I made the transition for my cats over about 6 months.

First transitioning from
    Science Diet dry
    to Fancy Feast and Blue buffalo Wilderness dry (18% carbs)
    to Fancy Feast and EVO dry (8% carbs)
    to FF, Wellness canned and EVO dry
    to FF & Wellness

Now we feed just the Wellness chicken and turkey flavors with occasional treats of FF or BFF (best feline friend) (canned only)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.