New member Io update and questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jazmin, Jan 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jazmin

Jazmin Member

So last night after I did Io's +3 BG test he ate a bit of pate I had mixed up with water and was the most himself he's been all week. He slept with me last night in bed and this morning he even asked me for ups (he'll like reach up and meow at me to be picked up). I did his BG test this morning, he willingly ate his pate from the can with no noises, and I gave him his shot. I just did his +2 BG test and his numbers are up pretty significantly? From 286 to 329?? I was able to do a ketone test this morning and that came back negative, but now he's seeming more lethargic again. I just gave him more of the pate with water. It was so amazing to see a glimmer of hope, but now I'm worried again and scared I'm not doing something right.

He's also been exceptionally sneezey?

2. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

I know that seems like a big jump, but it’s more or less the same number when you account for the fact that meters can have up to 20% variance. +2 is typically the onset for most insulins but it can vary between cats, and that could also be a bit of a food bump as well. The lantus depot also takes a few days to establish, so it may take a few days to see some action. I would try not to worry too much, just check again in a few hours if you can :cat: The fact that he feels more like himself is excellent!

3. Jazmin

Jazmin Member

Okay I feel a bit better thank you. He seemed like himself last night and before insulin this morning and now he’s back to being lethargic and I’m very sad

4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Keep asking questions! Everyone here cares! I cannot give advice as I havent had a diabetic in years (and yes I am still here! That speaks to the family we all belong to. :bighug:) Trust me you are in the best company for your kitty.;)

5. Jazmin

Jazmin Member

That’s so nice to hear. I feel so alone in all of this irl. I live alone and my boyfriend lives 2 hours away and I just feel like everything is in me and it’s SO overwhelming! This group has been a godsend

6. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

I was in the same boat as you so I definitely get it! I was managing my girl while I was in grad school and I was also doing it alone, and it was so tough at first but it will get easier. Lantus takes lots of patience so just try your best and stick to the protocols and Io will get better. You got this :bighug:

7. Jazmin

Jazmin Member

Do you mind explaining why Lantus takes extra patience? My vet told me to do 2 units 1x/day but I’m doing 1 unit 2x/day

8. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

Lantus users will be able to explain it better than I can, but is because it’s a depot insulin. Basically it forms crystals under the skin that slowly release over time, which is what makes it a gentler insulin. But it also takes a few days for this depot to form and any time you make changes like increasing, decreasing, or skipping the dose, it disrupts the depot and it has to stabilize again. This is also why lantus works best with consistent, methodical dosing and shot times. I’m sure the lantus users have mentioned on your other posts about the two dosing protocols for lantus, but making dosing changes according to which one of them you choose will help a lot!

Jazmin likes this.
  9. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

Hello Jazmin! You know, my Billy did the same thing. He'd have a great day and show normal behavior like we hadn't seen in a while, then have a day when he seemed loggy again. I think it's all part of the healing process. When our furbaby is sick, all we want is to help them feel better. It's so easy to find yourself wanting to make more changes and do it quickly. But this is a situation where slow and steady really does win the race. Io is already feeling better. Take your time. Give his body time to adjust to the Lantus. You are doing a great job!

10. Jazmin

Jazmin Member

That's reassuring! Thank you :bighug:

11. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

One of the biggest question marks we all have to contend with is when our cat started experiencing symptoms of diabetes. Our cats are so good at hiding illness that their BG could have been high for quite some time. They get diagnosed and we start giving insulin. I'm sure it makes their body feel weird. A former member here had a friend who became diabetic. She would frequently mention that when her BG numbers would drop into normal range after being high for some time, she felt awful. Once she became re-accustomed to normal range numbers, that all changed. It's entirely possible that this is the case for Io.

Lantus takes a great deal of patience. Unlike with some of the shorter acting insulin, you can't "shoot down" high numbers. You always have to consider the effect of a dose change on the depot. Despite high numbers, you have to wait to change a dose. If you do make back-to-back changes in the dose, you get wonky numbers. If you skip a shot, your cycle count starts over. Dosing with Lantus is not something you can rush.

You may want to give some thought to posting on the Lantus/Lev forum. There is a great deal of help available there (not that there's not help on Health!) that is Lantus specific.

12. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You're still very early in treatment....think of it like this....You're used to drinking a pot of coffee every day and then you start getting a medication that blocks caffeine...You're going to feel pretty crumby for awhile.

In this case, Io has been living in high glucose numbers so that's what his body is used to...now you're giving meds that bring the glucose down....in time, he'll adjust.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.