New Member Izzy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Janet and Izzy (GA), Jul 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

How long should she continue on this dose if she doesn't see greens or blues? She is just starting out.. Tonite is cycle 6.

2. Janet and Izzy (GA)

Janet and Izzy (GA) Member

oops yes...I have been givng her .5. She ate quite a bit of boiled chicken and broth tonight. I think she isn't eating much because she is soo freaking stuffed up she can't smell. I am awaiting her to pee, so I can test for ketones. She was pretty dehydrated when I got home which is why I gave her Sub Qs right away. She is awake and alert and seems fine other than the stuffiness. The vaporizer is killing me however! it's hot and humid and dang this thing running is not "my" friend lol But she really needs it.

3. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

As long as there are no ketone issues, I would stick with the .05 for another day. He could be bouncing from that 87 and bounces can sometimes take 3 days to clear.

4. Janet and Izzy (GA)

so far no pee, but she tried to use her scratching post and she is in eating more chicken. So That makes me happy! She even mewoed me...that's a first since she came home a week ago!

5. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Great! So as dyana says, let's try one more day of 0.5 (unless ketones). If there are any ketones above trace, call the vet. Otherwise feed food with extra water and let us know.

6. Janet and Izzy (GA)

158 at 10:20 pm. I will set my alarm for midnight and check again.

7. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Dyana was right, she is clearing the bounce. How was the ketone test?

This morning u may see a preshot under 200, if you do i would stall 30 mins to ensure she is rising without the influence of food (stall= don't shoot don't feed , retest in 30). You have shot under 100 before, but i would advise against it for now. Then if you shoot, definately get a +2 to see what her plans are.

Wendy

8. Janet and Izzy (GA)

284 this morning. No ketone. Seems less stuffy this morning and ate he warmed boiled chicken and broth.

9. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I think I would stick with this dose for a couple more days and see how it goes.

10. Janet and Izzy (GA)

She has a follow up Vet appt on Friday. So I will keep her on .5 and bring the spreadsheet with me so they can see the numbers. I am still awaiting my shipment of new syringes with the 1/2 marks to arrive. That will help with more consistent doses since I am eyeballing and guessing.

She is feeling Much better today. Of course since I stopped by the Vet clinic and spoke to my vet about her snuffles and walked out with a $100 bill in meds lol She is alert and mewing me...still stuff but much better.

11. Janet and Izzy (GA)

ack! 446 pmps! Where did that come from?

12. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Looks like a bounce.

Come on down, nice and easy, Izzy.

13. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Izzy could have dropped low today, if its a bounce he will come down soon. Once he does, let's ask dyana about the dose.

14. Janet and Izzy (GA)

should I wait to check at bedtime or do it sooner? She ate pretty good and I just not finished with her sub q fluid. still need to give her her zeniquin and chlornephire...and already gave her the esinyl-f?

15. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Bedtime is fine.. Dd you check for ketones today?

16. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Is the 1 prescription chlorpheneramine?

17. Janet and Izzy (GA)

yes..bjm that is it. its for the congestion.
    Yes Wendy I checked for ketones...she is negative.

18. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Chlorpheneramine is an antihistamine. It is/was available over the counter for humans. As Chlortrimaton. Always dropped me like a rock from sedating side effects, though not as sedating as diphenhydramine (Benadryl).

How's your kitty doing today?

19. Janet and Izzy (GA)

I took those before Claritin. Now I take generic Claritan. And yup me too...benadryl and Chlortimeton both make me very sleepy.

amps: 361

Clearly feeling better though. Meowed loudly for breakfast. Even got in the litter box (albeit still peed outside the box) rather than straight on a puppy pad. So she is trying.

20. Janet and Izzy (GA)

I took those before Claritin. Now I take generic Claritan. And yup me too...benadryl and Chlortimeton both make me very sleepy.

amps: 361

Clearly feeling better though. Meowed loudly for breakfast. Even got in the litter box (albeit still peed outside the box) rather than straight on a puppy pad. So she is trying.

21. Janet and Izzy (GA)

329 at +10 this evening. Dr suggest 1 unit either am or pm... When ever I can monitor best and. 5 the other.

22. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Lantus works best on consistent dosing, i would try 0.75 both am and PM

Wendy

23. Janet and Izzy (GA)

That's what I going to try Wendy. I am trying to get the plunger just below the 1u mark at the same spot consistently. I will chart that for a few days and see how that works. He totally agreed that I should have been concerned with those 60 and 70 numbers and that he would really like to see her fluctuating in the blue or even the low side of yellow...but definitely out of the pink.

He was really pleased with how she looked though. So, so much improved since he last saw her

24. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Maybe this photo will help? You can see the syringe half unit markings as a guide.

[​IMG]

25. Janet and Izzy (GA)

awesome...that's exactly what I did tonight. :)

26. Janet and Izzy (GA)

setting my alarm for 12:40 to check her +6 number tonight.

27. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Good job but remember lantus is a depot insulin so t takes a few days for the new dose to build to the right level in his system.

28. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Your vet may like those blue and yellow numbers, but we have learned those blues and greens, between 40 and 130 are how you get your cat into remission and no longer needed insulin.

29. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Honestly I can see us back at 1 unit but that's ok, now that you are experienced its ok to be there.
    Wendy

30. Janet and Izzy (GA)

I don't feel experienced Wendy lol

31. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Come on down Izzy - I am tired of these pinks. One more day ( total 6 cycles) and we will be increasing the dose to 1 unit.

I am also thinking I would like more eyes and advice on Izzy.... so I am thinking you might want to start posting on the tight regulation board. I post there myself every other day to keep their eyes on my boys. You are welcome to continue to post here, I just think that we might be able to help you more over there. Also it's a great sense of community, we celebrate together when a cat goes OTJ by having a party and offer sympathy too. They have experience in all sorts of cat issues, not just diabetes. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewforum.php?f=9

Heres how to post
    Every day ( or as often as you want/need/are able) you open a new thread/post. We call them "condos"
    - The subject has the date/cats name and BG readings ie 07/13 Izzy AMPS 357 +2 244 and so on. Add a ? icon if you have a question. You can update your subject as you get a reading, or whenever is convenient

- The contents of your post have a quick update on how Izzy is feeling as regards the 5Ps ( peeing. pooing, preening, playing and purring) and any questions and a link to your previous post ie : Today Izzy was in a good mood, playing and eating well. But he is peeing a lot still. Should I increase the dose?

For your first post include "newbie" also in your subject so everyone can welcome you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.