New Member Marie, with Rusty 11 year old Feline Diabetic

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Marie&HerCats RUSTY, Apr 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marie&HerCats RUSTY

Marie&HerCats RUSTY Member

Greetings! Rusty, 11 year old DSH, was diagnosed just 3 weeks ago. Insulin was increased from 5 units to 6 (2 times am/pm after meals) at 2nd week glucose test. Next week we are going for 1 month re-check. My only concern right now Vet recommended feeding schedule. I was instructed to feed ONLY twice day with no free grazing. All of my cats enjoyed access to high quality dry food
    in between meals but they are adjusting surprisingly well with out it. No dry food and I have replaced moist food with high crude protien (17%) moist food. (TIKI CAT). Rusty is very hungry all the time and I feel like I am punishing the other cats! I am a life-long cat owner , rescue volunteer and "go to" kitty info lady, and scheduled limited meals just dont "feel" right to me but I will do what ever is best for my cats
    Feedback, advice, comments, more info requests
    most welcome!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! That is a large insulin dose. What kind of insulin is it? The AAHA Guidelines (link in my signature) say that you can break the food up into several small meals throughout the day, using an auto-feeder if needed. I feed my girls wet food 4 times a day (every 6 hours).

You can post your questions on the main health forum where they will get more responses.

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! I echo FurBabiesMama on the dose, it’s huge for so early in this sugar dance. I also feed my cats multiple small meals each day. See you in the Main Forum.

Marie&HerCats RUSTY likes this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! I agree - huge dose this early in his treatment and feed several small meals a day. Post your questions on the main health forum. Let us know what insulin you're using.

5. Marie&HerCats RUSTY

Hi all, thank you so much for your posts. Reassuring that you all mention small meals through out the day. He is on vetsalin?

6. Sharon14

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

You can feed whenever you want, just not 2 hours prior to the preshot test so the number is not food influenced. If you haven't learned how to home test yet we can help

8. Marie&HerCats RUSTY

Thank you all! This is a new vet. Rusty had an "episode" of staggering, head tilt and very lethatgic in July. Former vet said could not diagnosespecifically but gave him steriods and antibiotic. Rusty did improve, he spent 3 weeks under a bed here I feed hydrated him with a dropper.They DID do bloodwork and said that nothing stood out, his "sugar" was elivated but probably because of stress of illness. They wanted me to take him to an animal hospital 1 hour away. Referred me to same place with 2 other cats and after thousads of dollars the hospital said both could have been treated at vets.

9. Marie&HerCats RUSTY

So... I have a new recommended veterinarian!
    The first time I saw the BG results was when the new vet showed them to me after the former vet send all Rusty's records!
    This week will be 3 weeks in since I started him on vetsulin.
    One more in office BG reading and then I will be doing it at home.
    Im going to post the lab results from the former vet and update all on Rusty's level this week.
    I am a little worried that the insulin amount is considered high.

Kris & Teasel and Sharon14 like this.
  10. Sharon14

Glad you’re going to start home testing! I see you mentioned Rusty was given steroids. How long ago was that? Is he still on them? Steroids can cause diabetes and once the cat is off them and they are out of his system, his glucose can come down fast.

11. Marie&HerCats RUSTY

12. Sharon14

How’s Rusty?

13. Marie&HerCats RUSTY

Hi Sharon,
    My apologies for the delay in responding to your concern for my dear Rusty.
    He is same in behavior and appetite Vet appt tomorrow to second GL check since starting. He went from 5 to 6 units of vetsulin. (going to discuss this amount )
    In Aug 17, at my FORMER vets, he was misdiagnosed (and test results were not looked and/or shared WITH ME.)
    Going to try to figure out how to attach the first test results
    Nothing was EVER said to or shared with me about his results including GL

It was only when the NEW vet shared with me the results of first vets blood work faxed to him, that we realized how sick Rusty really is. This was a month ago.

14. Marie&HerCats RUSTY

These are test results for Rusty from forner Vet in August. And diagnosis NO mention of GL! So grateful to the new vet.

Attached Files:

15. Marie&HerCats RUSTY

Ive been feeding Rusty 4x day, rationing his regular portion of wet food, no more dry food for him.
    Altho I still allow other 3 kitties to eat dry.
    Got a better quality of both types for them.
    I purchased TIKI CAT because with my limited knowledge, it seems like a very good all natural, very good low carbs high protein food
    Please, all feel free to let ne know if Im on right path!

16. Marie&HerCats RUSTY

Wanted to thank you for advise about breakingbup food!

17. Marie&HerCats RUSTY

18. Sharon14

I’m so glad you have a new vet. Good luck tomorrow! Maybe start a new thread in the Main Health Forum with the bloodwork and any other info. Tiki is a great food. Has increasing the feedings helped with Rusty’s hunger?

19. Marie&HerCats RUSTY

Ha! Just trying to figure out how to repost to general forum!
    Increasing food times has made big difference.

20. Sharon14

21. Marie&HerCats RUSTY

Thxs!
    I quess I have to do a recap of my posts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.