New member: Moe

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Erin and Moe (GA), Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erin and Moe (GA)

Erin and Moe (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey everyone. I'm Erin and my boy Moe was diagnosed on 9/1 after I realized that he was suddenly drinking a ton of water, was very sluggish and was walking funny (on his wrists). My vet immediately suspected diabetes and a full blood panel confirmed it. His glucose at the time of testing was 650. Vet prescribed one unit of basaglar twice a day, which we began the evening of 9/1. Moe went for his first glucose curve at the vet last Friday 9/6 where his numbers were consistently around 250. Vet asked me to increase to 1.5 units but to drop back to 1 unit if his glucose went below 100. I got my glucose meter (AlphaTrak II) Friday night and we started home testing. His glucose dropped below 100 immediately so I went back to 1.0. I have a message in to my vet to discuss dosing going forward. I just started a spreadsheet, which I hope is working correctly, and entered the numbers that I have gotten so far.

Moe has been on prescription kidney diet (he is borderline CKD, but needs a low purine diet to prevent ammonium urate stones) but the vet had me switch to Purina "dietetic" management food. I know, I know...I am already rotating in Friskies, Fancy Feast and Sheba pates, which he loves. He gets the occasional rare kibble treat, but mostly Pure Bites for snacks and rewards for getting stuck with a needle over and over.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole insulin/food/inject-or-not thing. I sure hope it gets easier!

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Erin and Moe. Moe is a very handsome guy and I am so glad you have researched and found FDMB.

It's wonderful that you have been proactive and created the signature and spreadsheet. Very well done. You could flesh out the signature with a little more info though, because people are going to ask for diet, plus info. Here's what we generally ask for:
    kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the country/time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.

I can read the spreadsheet just fine and those wonderful blue and green BG values are a welcome sight!!! Very possibly, Moe has a good chance for remission and cessation of insulin. Then we can have an OTJ (off the juice) party and dance away the day and night.

Going forward you can read the stickies at the top of the Lantus forum here to get a better idea of how it works and the protocols used here. You can post on that forum for insulin related questions, concerns and issues.

The Main Health forum is more for general health issues like diet: finding good food that will help the borderline CKD and the low purine diet to prevent ammonium urate stones, litter box issues etc. Feel free to browse around and see what members are posting about. Ask lots of questions and get the info you need.

You have found a place chock full of information to help you understand and be able to provide effective diabetic treatment, as well as a world wide supportive community of caring, compassionate people.

Looking forward to getting to know you and Moe and watching his progress as you learn the sugar dance. :cat:

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! Great that you are home testing. Looks like the switch to a lower carb food may already be helping! One thing I’ll mention is with CKD you’ll want to find a low carb food that is also low in phosphorus. Fancy Feast is way too high. As Lou said, come to the Main Health Forum and we can help you find a food appropriate for sweet Moe. Hope to see you there.

Idjit's mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.