New member - new diagnosis

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by rubygirl1968, Nov 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rubygirl1968

rubygirl1968 New Member

Hi all, I'm Stephanie from NC and my cat, Jellybean, was just diagnosed with diabetes. I took him to the vet this past Friday because he was lethargic and not eating. They did blood work and called me yesterday with a diabetes diagnosis.

I have an appointment with them again this afternoon but have some questions for folks more knowledgeable than me and with more experience. I don't know his numbers but this is my fault. I let him get fat and now he's paying for it. After seeing his weight on the scales he and his other kitty siblings went on a low carb diet (canned only) on Friday and although they're not happy, they'll survive.

Anyway, after the vet visit and receiving fluids he has perked up and is acting normal now, except for a cold that came on over the weekend with much sneezing and eye discharge. My question is this - since the blood work was done Friday, it's now Tuesday and he's been eating canned only since then, and he's sick, will (or should) the vet run more blood work before prescribing insulin?

I've been reading and doing some research and now that if his number is really high the chances for remission are greater the sooner the numbers go back to normal, but hypoglycemia isn't good either.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome, Stephanie! You're well on your way because you've already switched then all to canned low carb food and have been doing research. A switch to canned low carb food can affect blood glucose levels and it's possible Jellybean's (love that name!) BG was higher last week at diagnosis. His respiratory infection could also have an effect. I hope that your vet checks his BG again today before deciding on insulin dose. Please post your concerns in the main health forum and let us know what insulin and what dose your vet has prescribed. Sometimes they prescribe too high a starting dose. Yes, you want to get Jellybean's numbers down but you don't want to risk hypoglycemia either. :)

rubygirl1968 likes this.
  3. Just-As-Appy

Just-As-Appy Member

A couple of thoughts come to mind. First, you don't want him to lose weight too fast as there can be other problems. For more info about weight loss you could check catinfo.com. Second, there are 3 important and equal parts to getting diabetes under control. The are lo-carb food, home testing of his blood glucose, and insulin. You have already started the food change. Testing is important, and you can start this anytime. If you are in the US, you can et a Relion at Walmart. Many people seem to like this metre and the strips are reasonable. If you have a problem figuring out testing there are lots of people on here with great ideas to help. And finally insulin. If you have a say in the choice of insulin, I would suggest Lantus. It has the best chance of remission (as you have probably found in your research) and a fairly gentle action. You could check the American Association of Feline Practitioners (AAFP) website for the protocol.

Hope your vet visit goes well. Check back when you are home.

rubygirl1968 likes this.
  4. rubygirl1968

rubygirl1968 New Member

Jellybean and his sister, Snickers, showed up as feral babies that weighed 1 1/4 and 1 3/4 lbs respectively 10 years ago. Their mom was hit by a car and killed, the shelter was full and I couldn't bear the thought of healthy babies being put to sleep so I brought them home. I had intended to find homes for them after spaying/neutering but I got attached and they're still here. : )

I went ahead and copied this thread to the main health forum - I forgot I was in the introduction section.

5. shakirajane

shakirajane New Member

Hi guys I am Shakirajane from CA

6. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB! You'll get more attention if you start your own thread and also post on the main health forum to ask any questions that you have.

7. Juli D

Juli D New Member

Hi, Ruby & Jellybean,
    I am really sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis.
    My cat Mingus was just diagnosed was well. following my vets advice I decided to go with the more expensive Lantus as there was a chance, according to my vet, that she would go into remission.
    Miracle of miracles happened and after one month of very strict dietary changes as well as the insulin, Mingus is cured.
    I happened to have more, unopened insulin that I wanted to offer to someone in my same situation. Only issue is that the cat cannot be on the animal insulin or it will not work.
    So, please let me know if you have started insulin treatments or not.
    I'd like to reach out an help. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.