New Member-Prozinc Dosage for 2x day?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Andrea and Crushy Carran, Jan 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrea and Crushy Carran

Andrea and Crushy Carran Member

My cat started on ProZinc Monday at 3 ml once a day. She is 7.8-8.0 pounds, age 12. She was at the vet Monday and Tuesday and her readings were: Monday am-315, pm-139; Tuesday am-442 pm-185. I picked her up Tuesday afternoon and was able to give her a 3 ml dose yesterday morning and one today. We go back to the vet this afternoon for another read. I plan to start home testing this weekend and will get a curve. I know that dosing 2x per day is much better and want to start this tomorrow (my vet disagrees, so I will be finding a new vet). To change her dose to 2x/day do I just cut the prescribed dose in half? I am leaving the country for a week starting Monday and have opted to have someone come to the house to take care of her so I won't be able to test at all next week but I do want to keep a consistent, safe dose of insulin in her while I'm away. Her activity level is much improved already. She eats well and I have switched her to low carb pate foods (Friskies and Sheba perfect portions chicken and liver). Thank you for your help!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would ge to 1 unit twice daily. That is normal starting dose. The limited testing at the vet shows that should be OK especially since your cat (name?) will not get tested when you are gone for a week.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  3. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

Agree with Larry. When I was in the same boat, MrWorfman'sMom (a member with loads of ProZinc experience) advised me and Billy to start with 1 unit twice a day. After a few cycles (12 hour cycles) we can look at the numbers and see what's happening. This would be a great time to get a spreadsheet up, if you have the time. It will help experienced members advise you, and it's super easy to do. You can find out about it in this thread: New? How You Can Help Us Help You!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.