New Member - Sabu

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kathleen Tyrrell, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathleen Tyrrell

Kathleen Tyrrell Member

Hello, thank you for this group. My baby Sabu was just diagnosed with diabetes, and we appreciate all the help you want to share. Sabu is a 13 year old black shorthair. He is the love of our life and we will do anything to keep him healthy and happy. We were alerted to his distress when he went from being a mega-chonk to a skinny hipped boy and his backbone suddenly showed. He was drinking alot of water and peeing alot. We thought he just developed a fondness for water which we were happy about because it seemed healthy, but it dawned on us that there was a problem when the weight loss happened. We had a mobile vet come out and do a full physical. We used lentil beans in his box for the day before the appointment to gather urine with a turkey baster and kept it in a glass jar in the fridge. He was also suddenly showing slight weakness in his hind legs which we thought might be arthritis, but it is the diabetic neuropathy in the early stages paired with the muscle loss related to untreated diabetes. The Dr told us after treatment for awhile his muscle tone will return and the neuropathy was caught in time because the diabetes was caught early enough. I cry a little every time I think or talk about how sick our baby has been and we just didn't pick up on it sooner. We are grateful we caught it before it did further damage. See you on the boards and thank you, much love, Sabu and Family.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Kathleen and Sabu. I'm very glad to read about your resolve to get Sabu feeling better and this is the place to learn how to do that.

Would you please tell us more about Sabu by creating a signature that will display with each of your posts?
    Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.

You have already set up the spreadsheet, that's super! Are you going to be using a pet glucose meter or a human meter?

I suggest that you revisit the Home page and read the Getting Started and the Education sections on the right side of the page. This will give you basic information about Feline Diabetes and effective treatment.
    There are three basic components of diabetic treatment: proper low carb wet diet, insulin therapy and home testing. We can help with information about all three components.

Going forward, please post concerns and questions in the Main Health forum HERE so that more members can read and respond. This Intro forum is just the welcome mat and we definitely want to assist you with getting sweet Sabu to optimum health and well being. We know how precious our furkids are, that's why we are here.

Best wishes going forward :cat:

3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to FDMB to you and Sabu. What a handsome fella! We look forward to getting to know Sabu better and helping you get him on the path to better health.

I had my heart in my throat for a moment when I saw the GA in your title. "GA" here means "gone ahead" or "Guardian Angel" and it's quite apparent Sabu is alive and well and in good hands. When you have a spare moment, you might want to edit your title and remove the "GA". ;) You can do this by clicking on Thread Tools up in the upper right area of your screen. Click on that and select "edit title". Remove the GA prefix and save. :)

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I meant to mention that, and had a "senior moment" I think. I love these "golden years" !

5. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

This group is full of information and support, and sometimes literally a life-saver. Wish you didn't need us, but glad you and Sabu found the place.

Kathleen Tyrrell likes this.
  6. Kathleen Tyrrell

Kathleen Tyrrell Member

thank you for telling me - we thought it meant 'group admin' or something like that - we are not really good with social media yet, but learn quick when interested.

7. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

As with any group, there is a some "jargon" used around here. THIS glossary of terms will help you familiarize yourself and understand us a bit better. You'll be a pro in no time! :D

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  8. Kathleen Tyrrell

Kathleen Tyrrell Member

Thank you much, and best wishes to you and yours as well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.