Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Barbara iding, Sep 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barbara iding

Barbara iding New Member

My little girl Allie, about a month ago became very sick, very fast. Within 24 hrs she had gone from acting a little tired( thought it was her allergies) to gravely ill. I took her to myvet who then rushedme off to emergency clinic. She was so bad they cld not even get blood from her... long scary story short. After three days in intensive care she survived.. she was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis, n diabetes. She is now getting insulin twicedaily n gaining some weight back. Fancy fiest pate one can twice a day before insulin. But her appetite is insatiable!!!! She wants to eatall the time. She also was the best jumper around, cld get her little self up on almost anything, including a door, balanced between that n the frame of it. Now her balance is off n she is unsure on her feet.. She go's in for her second glucose curve next week.I'm a wreck is all this normal???

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board Barbara. I'm so sorry to hear about all that you and Allie have been through. I'm glad she survived the emergency. I would like you to post in the Main Forum please. If you like, you can just copy this intro post, start a new thread in the Main forum and paste. There are members who have experience and knowledge about pancreatitis and will be able to respond and advise about treatment. Of course the goal is to restore Allie to the best health level possible. Here is a link to the Main Forum: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/
    When you can, please set up a signature so that Allie's information is available without you having to constantly repeat or be asked: Here's a link on how to do that: SIGNATURE

3. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

Welcome Barbara! This will get easier with time; hang in there.

My Harley lost a lot of weight prior to diagnosis and he is very slowly gaining. I do free feed. Your Allie may need more food especially if she lost some weight as you mentioned. I am not familiar with Pancreatitis so I don't know if there are contraindications to free feeding. I am sure others will have answers in the Main Health Forum.

Also, please start testing your cats blood sugar as you will need that info to watch for hypoglycemia. Suddenly walking unbalanced can be a sign of low blood sugar.

Do hang in there. :)

4. Harley Baby & Michele

Harley Baby & Michele Member

5. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Hi Barbara.

I'm so sorry that you and Allie had to go through this. So very scary and I am pleased that she has made it through. You're in the right place now.

Insatiable appetite is because her diabetes is not controlled yet. That she is eating is a good thing. You want that .

The wobbly gait could be a few things. Once you are up and running here people will come in with their thoughts on this.

Pancreatitis is rotten.

Anyway, welcome .

6. SOBrien

SOBrien Member

Hi Barbara, welcome :) My Boots was just diagnosed with diabetes last week. He was diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis last November and it was pretty awful and scary. He has occasional flare-ups now but they have not been as severe as the first one. My vet gave me an appetite stimulant and anti-nausea medicine to administer when he has a flare up or if he vomits after I've given his insulin so we can get him to eat again. The diabetes is a new piece to the puzzle for us so I know it will take time to learn, but I'll be sure to share as I do. I will keep you in my thoughts, all the best to Allie!

7. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! You may want to consider feeding her more often. She probably is 'starving' since her glucose is not yet regulated.

It sounds like she may have some neuropathy. A lot of people give their cats Zobaline for that.

Post your questions on the main health forum, and you will get lots of advice and support.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.