Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Claudia Phillips, Mar 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claudia Phillips

Claudia Phillips New Member

My cat was recently diagnosed with diabetes, during this coronavirus pandemic. My cat, Big Tastee, has had 4 glucose curves. We are on our second type of insulin, and his blood sugar is still very high. I haven’t changed his food, it is a diet dry kibble, the vet has not suggested that I do this. Also, I have not changed how he eats, he free feeds. Would diabetic food and specific food times make a big difference? I know diet is extremely important in human diabetes, but have had no specific direction from the vet.,Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

WELCOME TO FDMB! This is the BEST place to help you help "Big". Please listen to the folks here they all have been there and back with this disease. Pretty soon all your questions will be answered
    that said:

OI with close testing the first thing I would do is chuck that dry food. It ALL has tons of carbs which raise BG numbers. PLEASE test test, test... his numbers could drop dangerously low with the change to a low carb food. The diet JUNK the Vets sell arent that good and still have carbs your kitty doesnt need.
    I havent had a diabetic kitty in too many years to give advice on dosing but there a re PLENTY people here who are.
    Lots to learn but seriously if I did it, you can too!
    jeanne

Deb & Wink likes this.
  3. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Hi Claudia and your sugar kitty Big Tastee.

The three main points to control Feline Diabetes are:
    1. low carb food <=10% but sufficient protein, >40% if no other health issues. Very few dry foods are low enough carb for a diabetic cat.
    2. a good insulin like Prozinc, Lantus or Levemir. These 3 are the best for diabetic cats, per AAHA and RVC guidelines.
    3. home testing or regular testing of the blood glucose levels.
    We are strong believers in home testing the blood glucose to keep your cat safe, from hypoglycemia for example.
    We can teach you how to home test.

A good support group like this and working closely with your vet are also important in treating feline diabetes.

Would you please tell us what insulins you have used? What was the first insulin Big Tastee was on? What insulin is he on now?

Would you also tell us what food you are feeding? Specific name, brand, etc. Any treats? Any wet or canned food at all? Any access to another pets food?

Changing the food without home testing the blood glucose, or closely monitoring during the diet change can be risky. Hypoglycemia is the biggest risk. But if your cat does not like the new food, and does not eat well, ketone formation is also a risk and can lead to DKA(diabetic ketoacidosis).

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

How is Big Tastee's weight?
    How are his diabetic signs and symptoms?

p.s. To reply to our posts, simply start typing in the box below the last post you see in your thread.

This sticky, Post #2, has lots of navigation tips for using the message board.
    Sticky HOW-TO USE THE FDMB: The Basics

5. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Thank you Deb! :bighug:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  6. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Hi and Welcome!!

Feline diabetes is manageable, we know some things can be a bit more complicated right now but we can help you

Please answer the questions Deb made and let us know if Big Tastee has any other health issues besides diabetes

They've already mention how important is testing , what you would need is a blood glucose meter, lancets and tests strips, it is just fine to use a human glucometer that you can buy at a local pharmacy or wallmart (among other places)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.