[New + Neurotic] Sleep? What's SLEEP?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Paigeworthy, Oct 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paigeworthy

Paigeworthy Member

Hi all.

Brought my newly dx kitty, River, home from the veterinary ER yesterday with a prescription for Humulin-N (1 unit 2x/day), a little bottle of antibiotics and…very little else. The packet of information they offered is little more than what I could find on the first page of Google, so…neat.

My low opinion of Western doctors now extends to veterinarians.

After a really scary bout of DKA, I had to bring her home before they could switch her to longer-acting insulin themselves and establish her curve. I couldn't afford to keep her there. They told me to just to keep her eating, put her on Purina DM (…no.), give her insulin twice a day plus the antibiotics they sent home with her, then bring her BACK in 5–7 days from now for a re-check.

I don't want to wait that long to understand what's going on in my kitty's body.

I see now that it's time for me to take matters into my own hands, educate myself further, and begin understanding her glucose curve, etc. I know next to nothing about diabetes but am eager to learn.

[​IMG]

MrWorfMen's Mom and Laura bb like this.
  2. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Hang in there, I am on here everyday now, I am too new for advise-only keep asking questions! Sometimes it takes time for experienced ones to answer, but they will. And it has helped tremendoudly ease my anxiety and knowledge of feline diabetes.

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi again Paige. Here’s some info on your insulin http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/beginners-guide-to-novolin-humulin-nph.186097/
    If you can, talk to your vet about a prescription for a longer lasting insulin such as Lantus, Levemir or prozinc. These will make it easier to regulate River. Before you buy, post here and tell us which one you’re getting, we may be able to help you find it cheaper. As for DKA, as you know it’s very serious condition. Be sure River gets her antibiotics and the infection clears completely. Also its very important she eats and gets her insulin, too few calories and high numbers could set it off again. And pick up some ketone test strips at the pharmacy and check for ketones daily. Please note in your signature that she has had DKA. While you’re at the pharmacy,pick up a human glucose meter. Look for one that uses the smallest amount of blood and has reasonably priced strips. Here’s a list of some available meter http://main.diabetes.org/dforg/pdfs/2018/2018-cg-blood-glucose-meters.pdf

Paigeworthy and MrWorfMen's Mom like this.
  4. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Paige
    I sent you a pm - I'm near you and can show you how to test, etc

5. Paigeworthy

Paigeworthy Member

Hi! Yes, I have already started reading the Beginner's Guide to Humulin and know that I need to work on getting a glucose monitor and starting to do tests so I can populate her spreadsheet and find her curve + the right dosage for her.

I do have an rx for Lantus but honestly cannot afford it from my pharmacy. Is there danger in getting her used to Humulin for a month then changing to Lantus if I can find it cheaper?

She is chowing down on some dry food right now — Fromm's Salmon Tunachovy, the only thing she would eat before she left for the vet on Saturday — but I know she needs to be on wet food and I am going to be back on my "figuring out wtf wet food she will eat" game today.

@Carol & Murphy I got your message and am overwhelmed by your kindness. I will write you back soon.

Sharon14 and Laura bb like this.
  6. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Here's some info on DKA - very important to keep her hydrated so hopefully she will eat some wet food
    There is now a generic form of Lantus that I think is quite a bit cheaper - maybe you could call local pharmacies and see how much they would charge for a pen of that (they usually come in a box of 5 pens - it can be difficult to find a pharmacy that will break up the box) many people use a pharmacy in Canada called Marks Marine Pharmacy - it is much cheaper I'll try to find a link

Sharon14 likes this.
  7. Laura bb

Laura bb Member

Wal-Marts Sams Club sold me an individual pen. But thats here in Norman, Oklahoma

Sharon14 likes this.
  8. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Here’s the link for Marks https://rxcanada4less.com/ Lots of members buy from them, all you need is the prescription. Give them a call.

9. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Welcome. Also check the supply closet here for people to offer ones they don't need any more. You can also post a thread looking for some. I believe Marks will also send one pen. At least it will get you started.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.