New & Panicked

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Winnie's Mom, Feb 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winnie's Mom

Winnie's Mom New Member

Hello Everyone. My name is Becky, and my beautiful 5-year-old Winnie was diagnosed with diabetes on Friday (Feb. 15, 2019). No matter how many times I get it through my head that this is a treatable condition, I keep returning to the thought of losing her. She is odd, in that her appetite is far from ravenous, and I'm terrified about insulin dosing with the amount that she eats fluctuating so much. She is taking one unit of Vetsulin every 12 hours right now, just to get through the weekend, but my vet plans to increase to two units next week.

We took Winnie to the vet because she was losing weight. At the time of diagnosis, she was in pretty good shape overall. No ketones, no lethargy, no vomiting. She actually plays more than my other cats! I am not well off financially, so taking care of her is daunting in that way. But I will do absolutely everything I can to make sure my little girl lives the longest and healthiest life she can.

Best to everyone! Thanks for having this forum.

JanetNJ likes this.
  2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Becky and Winnie. First things first, you are going to find important information here to help you learn about feline diabetes and treatment. You are correct that this is a treatable condition and with the proper diet, blood sugar testing (to be certain that it's ok to inject the insulin and track the insulin effects), plus the insulin therapy Winnie can live a happy long healthy life. Please, please start testing now, as you say the vet is planning to increase the Vetsulin by an entire unit next week. What was the BG level at the vet on diagnosis? Do you know that travel and just being at the vet can cause cats to become so stressed that the BG can be elevated by quite a bit?
    Home testing Winnie's blood sugar is the best tool you have to keep her safe, know if her blood sugar is going too low and act to prevent a hypoglycemic event, and track the insulin effects, as well as any diet changes you make. Putting a cat on a low carb wet diet can significantly reduce the BG and perhaps the dosage amount of insulin. What is Winnie eating and have you been advised to change her diet?
    Please read through the Getting Started and Education sections on the Home Page. There is another section in the FAQs forum
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/health-links-faqs-about-feline-diabetes.14/ on Home Testing links and tips: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/, as well as critically important Hypo information that every sugar cat parent needs to know.
    Post further questions, issues and concerns on the Main Health forum http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/ so that other members can see and respond. Admittedly there is a lot to learn at first, but hundreds of members of FDMB have walked this same path and we are here to help and support you.
    You are Winnie's advocate and caretaker, and by researching, finding this board and asking questions shows just how much you care for her and want to help her to better health and well being. Let us help you.
    Best wishes going forward! :cat:

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  3. Winnie's Mom

Winnie's Mom New Member

Thanks so much for the warm welcome. I'm going to touch base with the vet again tomorrow and ask questions, armed with all my new knowledge.

Winnie has a ton of food allergies on top of this. Right now, she is eating Royal Canin selected protein pea and rabbit. My vet didn't want to start playing with foods yet, but I'm going to ask about starting a wet diet now. In the past, wet food has given her diarrhea. I've been researching foods a lot.

Thanks again for the welcome! This board has made me feel more hope than I'd allowed myself up til now.

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

It's great that you are researching Becky, and her dietary allergies certainly need to be taken into consideration. Of course you should have hope, and know that the more educated you become, the better you are able to care for Winnie. Most of us found the board in a state of shock, dismay and pretty darned scared, not to mention very ignorant about feline diabetes. I count myself at the top of that list, but the information is here and there is an entire community of support.

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  5. Darwin H.

Darwin H. Member

Welcome to the Club. Panic was my middle name for the first week back when Simba was first diagnosed over Thanksgiving. Get thee to the nearest Walmart and pick up needed Reli-On diabetes human meter, strips and lancets all for about $20.00 to get you going. These folks will get you thru hard times. They did me. Out of pockets for the serum and 100 needles ran me about $85.00... The more you learn and do yourself the more confident and less expensive it will be. I have been at it for 3 months and just changing over to wet food has brought significant changes to Simba's health.

Idjit's mom likes this.
  6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome. Diabetic cats can live long healthy lives. My cat was diagnosed almost 3 years ago... We've had some members whose cats have had it 8+ years.

7. DmDm301215

DmDm301215 New Member

I am new and panicked too... but thanks for this forum, so many wise and clever people who do care about there pets, I am with you!

Elizabeth and Bertie and JanetNJ like this.
  8. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome. I'm glad you found us! It's one of the most supportive places you can be when dealing with FD. Have you read the food chart? Wet food is imperative. I understand budget issues are hard, too! I am currently treating my cat with Novolin N because a vial is only about $25 at Walmart and lasts for 6 weeks. That plus needles is only $38 and if you have carecredit, you can use it for that purchase as well, if you ever need to. I'm not suggesting you change, but should you ever run into a worse financial situation know that it can still get a little cheaper. Home testing will also save you money on glucose tests and vet trips.
    You can do this!!! And how lucky Winnie is to have a mom who cares to put in this effort. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.