New participant

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ella Frank, Nov 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ella Frank

Ella Frank New Member

I am a new user here. I recently joined another online forum for diabetic cats. Lots of opinions there and I feel quite confused. I am hoping with more information things will become clearer. I have a dear 12-year old kitty and she has been on Prozinc for over 2 years. Lately, her glucose levels have been erratic and we have begun in home glucose testing (which is challenging). She gets fancy feast classic and we have removed the Nature's Variety Instinct which she formerly ate some of the time, due to advice that it is too high in carbs. We are confused, however, about Young Again zero carb dry food which purports to be advantageous for diabetic cats. Anyhow, her glucose levels vary wildly and I hope to get her more stable. She acts like she feels well, though and has a good appetite.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB. Sorry to hear you are having problems but very glad to hear you are now home testing as that is key to keeping kitty safe and sorting out the puzzle of erratic BG levels. I take it you were previously taking your cat into the vet for curves and/or fructosamine and that unfortunately is often not a very accurate gauge of how kitty is doing when compared to home testing.

Nature's Variety Instinct is in the neighbourhood of 15% carbs and that is too high. It's recommended to keep carbs below 10%. The FF classics are a good choice and we have food lists that you can use to find other selections either for a little more variety or to appease a fussy appetite. Young Again dry food is very low in carbs and an acceptable alternative for a kibble addict if necessary but canned or raw food are definitely better choices.

We can give you lots of tips to make home testing easier and lots of ProZinc users who can help you figure out how best to help your furry little girl.
    Why don't you come join us on the Health Forum (link in previous post) and let us know how best we can assist you. You've come the right place as there is an amazing knowledge base along with years of experience here and we love sharing!

MiCo likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I found Yaz food doesn't raise my cats bg at all. We feed ff twice a day and let her way all the young again that she wants.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.