New - Please help! My cat is very sick... (GA)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by honeycat, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. honeycat

honeycat New Member

Hello, I am new here. My 13 year old cat was recently diagnosed with diabetes. He's been on HUMULIN twice a day, 4 units, for about 3 weeks. His blood sugar levels were over 400 on the first visit, 380 on the second and today over 600.

He seemed to be doing better on the insulin until yesterday when he stopped eating. I took him to the vet this morning and his condition has declined rapidly. He can barely walk and seems very disoriented, mostly just laying on the floor and breathing very slowly. He not eating but is drinking a lot. The vet ran some tests and said his kidneys have shut down and his uremic levels are very high.

He gave him fluids, cortisone and a shot of insulin despite him not eating. The vet told me to give him his second dose tonight even if he doesn't eat, since his levels were over 600. Aside from that, my vet basically said that there is nothing more we can do for him except wait it out and see if his kidneys kick back in again. He also said if they don't, he will simply go to sleep and never wake up again. This is all so sudden and very devastating.

What would cause his kidneys to fail suddenly? Also, what would spike his blood sugar levels so high? He also has a very rare form of mouth disease and the vet had been treating this for years with cortisone shots. Could this have caused his diabetes? Could this interfere with his insulin causing the kidneys to suddenly fail?

Please, If anyone has a clue to what is happening to him and how I can help him, please advise! Thank you.

2. housecats4

housecats4 Well-Known Member

Re: New - Please help! My cat is very sick...

I am so sorry but I am new here Just want to send Tons of Prayers and Angels with glowing Green light to surround your baby Wish I could help Kath

3. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

Hi Honeycat -

I am so sorry to hear of the struggles.

Did the vet check for keytones? It's a urine test. Keytones are very serious.

My cat was on Humulin and had horrible numbers....I would not recommend giving the shot tonight.

Would you consider going to an ER vet? Do you know a good one?

Hoping others will be on soon to give advice.

4. honeycat

honeycat New Member

Thank you for your replies and support.

No, the vet didn't check for keytones.

Did you switch from Humulin to another type of insulin? Why shouldn't I give the shot tonight? I have not given it to him yet.

There is an ER vet here that has a great hospital, but the costs are outrageous and I'd like to avoid that if I can. However, from what I am reading it seems that hospitalization is the best answer?

I've been reading through the site and my vet didn't do a lot of the things listed here such as regulating him etc. His numbers were never down to 200. Is it a requirement to do blood glucose tests before every injection? I have never been told this either. I'm really worried now that my cat just isn't get the right type of insulin because he was never properly regulated.

5. housecats4

ohmygod_smile This is the best place they know so much about diabetes Please lister and read Prayers and Angels coming to help you and your baby Kath

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

If it were me, I'd get my cat to the ER. Some of the symptoms you're describing could be diabetic ketoacidosis (does your cat smell like acetone/nail polish remover/alcohol) or it could be too much insulin. Shooting 4u of Humulin in a cat that's not eating could be a problem. The cost at any emergency vet are always high but I think your cat needs more care than you can provide at home or that your vet can provide. Not eating trumps everything. Your cat needs to eat or there will be even more problems.

7. Amy and Six

Hi Honeycat -

I would be concerned that my cat declined after leaving the vets vs. improving.

When were on Humulin (and now Lantus) I could NEVER give a shot without food. It could cause a cat to go hypo. I saw huge ups and downs with Humulin - I was thankful that we swtiched.

If you think you can get Honeycat to pee, you can pick up ketone strips at a pharamacy....over the counter and test her at home asap...

If he has ketones it could be very, very serious. I would be inclined to take him to the ER ASAP....I know that's not what you want to hear, but it sounds very serious.

Hoping others will see this soon and chime in...

8. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm no expert but I have to agree this sounds serious. I would go to the ER Vet at least for another opinion.
    Jeanne

9. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Can't help out too much so hoping others chime in soon but I have to echo what others have said already if it was one of my furry bunch they would be on the way to the ER vet. I know it is expensive but he needs fluids and food at least at the ER vet they can get fluids and IV feeding if needed. Sending tons of healing vibes.

Mel & Muse (GA)

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

gosh this is upsetting to see. vets giving those large dose orders and no hometesting. this cat sounds like he's in hypoglycemia after too much insulin and a rebound raise...causing kidney's to shut down.
    notice the kitty got worse after vet, after starting high dose insulin, bg's kept going up and now kitty is acting like a hypo.
    a glucometer would be so helpful at this point.
    this is exactly like last night's newbie.
    is it to late to get a glucometer and strips and test at home if you do not go to er vet?
    i am so sorry your going thru this.
    lori
    if you want to try to test your cats bg's at home just say and i'll walk you thru.
    lori

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

honeycat would you let us know what state, city you are in? maybe close by another member who could test your kitty for you

12. honeycat

honeycat New Member

Hi again. I'm located in Miami, FL.

If I do the bg reading at home, what happens next?

Thanks for all your posts. I'm still reading through everything and will call the ER vet now. Trying to decide what to do.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

well we can see if he's very high or very low. it helps to know how to handle him if you don't go to er which it sounds like you are so that's good. he sounds low to me so we would raise his bg's and not shoot.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i can't think of anyone in miami right now, and it is getting late there. i'm in ca. do you know where the pm's are? i would send you a pm if you see it upper left hand corner says new messages. give me a minute.

15. heidi and doodles

heidi and doodles Member

16. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

Just talked to Lori, but honeycat called her back, so she had to go. I think Lori wanted to show her this link though. Lori: Just copy the address in the top address bar of where you want her to go, and paste it here in the thread. They click on the link, and it takes them to the thread you copy/pasted here.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=287

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hi christeen (?) i'm gonna post around about CRF, you might want to start a new post and ask if anyone has info about CRF. chronic renal failure. i've heard it talked about here many many times but never paid much attn.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

steph, she'd found it on her own and tested already by the time she'd called. in the 400's so it's a good thing we did'nt advise the karo huh?

19. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Oh good! Glad she found it!

Holly does a CRF post that has all the links she'll probably ever need.. let me look for it..

Hmmm not sure if Holly's post is still around somewhere, but for now, I found Melissa's:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1123

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

thanks steph,
    man, one cat at a time..one cat at a time. ;-)

21. honeycat

honeycat New Member

Hi, I'm here. Thanks so much for your help and your posts. I'm still researching at the moment...

22. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

check out my crf request post...someone wrote on it with a link i think.

23. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

CRF info--See Melissa's post in the Health links here. Titled..."Does your Diabetic Cat have CRF/Kidney Disease? If so..."

Honeycat, infomation about CHRONIC renal failure is not what you need if your cat is in ACUTE renal failure. You need to take him to an ER vet. This is a list of emergency vets worldwide. In the search terms in the right column of the page, put in Miami and you will get seven listings. Call ahead so that they are prepared for you. If you have someone to drive you, that would be best.

24. honeycat

honeycat New Member

Hey Lori - I sent you a PM. Not sure if it went through, lmk!

I'm taking Bucky to another vet now for a second opinion. His condition has not changed and his bg is at 416 right now. Will update upon my return.

Thanks so much for everyone's support!

25. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

sent you one back honeycat....fingers and paws crossed here that bucky will be ok.
    prayers for bucky.

26. housecats4

More Prayer and Angels coming your way Kath

OMG I am so sorry ....

27. honeycat

honeycat New Member

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry for not posting sooner. Things here have been crazy. There is a tropical storm passing through at the moment, so I had to prepare a little for that but now it seems it isn't as bad as they predicted - just some bad weather.

Bucky has been in the hospital since yesterday. They have him on an IV drip with fluids, vitamins and insulin, trying to bring his bg down but it never gets below 400s. I just spoke to the vet and he said he is not improving at all and he is not eating. He will keep him another night to see if there are any changes.

The vet also said he feels a mass which he suspects to be cancer in his pancreas area. He took xrays and there is something there but he cannot tell me if it is benign or malignant, but from his symptoms - rapid weight loss, etc. he highly suspects cancer. He said this might also be the reason he is not responding to the insulin. Oh and he did test his urine for the key tones? you mentioned and they were highly present. Overall the vet does not think he will make it. I've just been really upset, couldn't sleep last night and I'm very tired with everything going on.

I cannot thank all of you enough for your support and concern. Again, sorry for not posting sooner. I have just been through so much these past few days, i know you understand. I will be going to visit him later in the afternoon once the weather calms down a bit. I will post again soon.

Hugs,
    Christine

28. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Christine,

I am so sorry to hear this news. I will keep you and Bucky in my thoughts.

29. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I am also very sorry to hear about bucky ... I will be sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers he pulls through this ....

30. MommaOfMuse

So sorry to hear that Bucky isn't doing well...Sending tons of healing vibes that your little boy pulls through.

Mel & Muse (GA)

31. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

oh honey i am so terribly sorry to hear this. you did so much to help bucky but when heaven wants out little angels they must go....my heart hurts for you. please be safe during this pending hurricane bonnie and if you need anything at all just let me know.
    sending white light for you and buckie.
    lori

32. Amy and Six

Christine,

I am so sorry to hear the news about Bucky. I will be sending peaceful and healing thoughts to you and Bucky.

Take care,

Amy

33. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

I am sorry to hear that Bucky is so very sick.

My cat had DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis), hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver syndrome), and pancreatitis when he was admitted to the ER for 8 days. The admitting veterinarian advised me to have him put to sleep, but I couldn't do it. I wanted him to have a chance to fight. And you know what? He made it. He was close to 14 yo when he was diagnosed, so it's not like he was a spring chicken.

I"m not sure if Bucky will make it, but I also don't want you to give up hope.

34. housecats4

Angels & Prayers coming to Bucky lots of healing Green light. I am so very sorry for all you are going through but please don`t give up hope Vets have been wrong before Kath

35. honeycat

honeycat New Member

It is with a heavy heart that I report that Bucky passed away today at 5pm on his own at home. I brought him home this morning. The vet suggested I put him to sleep but I just couldn't at the time. Later in the day, I changed my mind and was about to call the vet when he passed shortly after. The vet believes he had cancer due to the mass in his abdomen and his other symptoms. He had finally gotten his bg levels under control and his condition was so poor. He was in a comatose state and the only movement came from his eyes. He hadn't eaten for days and was living off iv fluids. It was devastating to watch.

- Cyn & Cosmo - Thank you so much for sharing your story. That only confirms for me that Bucky had many more issues going on since his bg was finally under control when he was in the hospital. I'm so happy to hear you didn't give up and that your kitty made it. You are a wonderful cat parent for never giving up. Too many people give up way too soon.

I want to thank everyone for your support and prayers. I am happy I came across this board and met such great cat people. I have learned a lot about diabetes now and hope that someday I can help someone else in Bucky's honor. I would like to hang around here and keep in touch with all of you.

:cry: Missing Bucky...

Hugs and lots of love,
    Christine

36. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss.

Many of us hang around here, even though our sugar cat has Gone Ahead (GA).

May all your best memories of Bucky bring you comfort...

...'til you meet again.

37. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

I'm so very sorry Christine. :sad: It does sound like he had much more going on than just the diabetes. :sad:

(((HUGS))) & tears,
    -Steph

38. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No word Christine, Tears. We all know the pain your feeling.
    I sent you a pm. You can come here whenever you want. The grief page. Any page.
    You were only here one day but you feel like part of the fdmb family already.
    Fly Free Bucky
    ((((Christina)))))

39. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

So sorry for you loss; my thoughts are with you.
    Bucky is free of pain and suffering now.

40. housecats4

Oh Dear I am so very sorry for your loss..Dear sweet Bucky is home again and will be having a big welcome home party.. He is at peace .It never gets any easier when our babies have to go.My tears fall with your and 34 months later still fall for my Mick and maybe you could set up a little tribut for him Petloss.com help me with Mick`s....He is at

http://petsupports.com/mick.htm

I wish I had words to help you heart heal but that takes Time One day at a time...So very sorry......It is like a big family here and once you join you are family so please keep in touch. When you need a shoulder or talk about your Bucky you can come here or PM me ok Hugsssssssss ♥♥Kath

A candle to light his way

41. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

I'm very sorry to hear that Bucky has passed after a valiant fight. Our deepest condolences.

laur

42. MommaOfMuse

Oh hon I am so sorry to see this, it wasn't the update I was hoping for at all. I'm so sorry that you lost your precious Bucky, and I'm adding my tears to yours. But if there is one good thing is that he got to pass in his own home, surrounded by those who loved him best, and he got to do it in his own way. My own sugar baby Muse lost her fight in May, but like as already been said once you are part of this family you stay part of this family. It just took a very special baby to bring us together, but once we found each other we stay together. There is so much wisdom here not just for those babies with diabetes but kitties in general. We come here scared to death for our furry baby, we bond over them then we stay to learn, laugh, and cry together and eventually in time to rejoice together when our hearts heal enough to love another furbaby again.

Mel & Muse (GA)

43. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

((((((((((((((((((((((Christine)))))))))))))))))))))

I am so very sorry for your loss. Bucky is flying free now, whole and healthy over the Rainbow Bridge. rb_icon

wings_cat

44. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so very sorry to read this. God bless little Bucky. HE will keep him safe until you meet again.
    Jeanne

45. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

Christine, I'm very sorry for your loss.

Fly free Bucky!!

I was hoping for a different outcome, but sometimes the body can't do what the heart and mind want. I'm sure he's still with you. But I know the hole in your heart is filled with sadness and grief. I hope someday it is filled with the lovely memories and joy you shared with him.

46. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

I am so sorry for your loss.

~M

47. Michele and Esse

Michele and Esse Well-Known Member

Oh, how sorry I am to hear this. So very sorry. Of course stay around and stay in touch - you're welcome here anytime.

Sending lots of love and hugs and prayers your way...

Best-
    Michele

48. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Cristine, I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you were a great mama to Bucky, he must have felt that love. Fly free, sweet boy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.