New Spreadsheet- Check Numbers Please

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jen and Milo P., Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jen and Milo P.

Jen and Milo P. Member

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

It's great that you are mastering home testing. Before giving insulin, can you get a test in. The result will be put under the AMPS or the PMPS column - and what that means - is AM (morning) or PM (evening) pre shot.

And just to make things easier, could you also add the insulin being used onto the spreadsheet. Or create a signature and add it there.

Thanks!

3. Jen and Milo P.

Jen and Milo P. Member

I cant view the spreadsheet for some reason. AMPS was 449, which was +13 since last night...He is on lantus, 5U

4. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Wrong SS link there. It's a common newbie mistake :smile: The link you current have does work but it allows anyone who views it to make some changes to it because the File, Edit, View, etc options are there.

Go back into your SS. At the top right there is a Share tab. Click on that and choose Publish As A Web Page. Then in the box that shows up, put a check mark next to Automaticall republish when changes are made. In the bottom box, is the shareable link to your SS. Copy that link and put that into your SS, replacing the one you currently have.

SS intructions: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16

Your SS looks ok so far. Instead of putting 0 in if you don't get a AMPS (or PMPS) test, just put a -- or n/a in the box. If you put 0 some people may freak out because a bg of 0 is a very serious hypo number and the cat may be comatose. Not what you want people to think :smile:

Why is your cat on such a high dose of Lantus? How long has he been on 5 units?

5. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Great job with the spreadsheet, but honestly I think you need to start from start. 1U of Lantus.

Have you seen the Lantus ISG, there's some great information.

viewforum.php?f=9

Start by reading the stickies, then take a moment and introduce yourself to the group.

New to the Group, please read
    Info Proper Handling and Storage
    Insulin Depot
    Becoming Data Ready

6. Jen and Milo P.

Jen and Milo P. Member

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... utput=html

There is no way I am dropping his insulin levels. His BG is way too high to put him at risk by lowering it. If anything I will be increasing it. He may be an Agro cat. He has been at 9U twice a day on both PZI and Vetsulin, with no drop in BG. So please do not advise I drop his insulin lower because that will put him at risk for very very high BG. I appreciate the advise, but please look at his numbers first, or at least ask about his history.

7. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Hi there! Are you the Jenn that Carolyn has been talking to? If so, you are in good hands. Please don't take offense at people questioning your dose; you have no idea how many people come here with cats on highb doses and aren't testing and are od'ing their cats. Sometimes we don't remember to check for a profile or ask the right questions about the dose

Let us know how we can help

Jen

8. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

U may want to get the DX on ACRO before u keep upping his dose, for his safety.
    Can u consult with your vet on that?

Not suggesting u drop the dose here - but if u have any data from previous insulins that he began on a lower dose, u can add that to ur SS.

Starting any kitty on a high dose - on any insulin without beginning at the low end - well, u may of passed his ideal dose.
    I think what people will be wondering about is how u reached the high dose without seeing if a lower dose was ok for him.

if the numbers are high and the dose keeps going up, it isn't always a reflection that he needs more insulin. I would really recommend he be tested for ACRO before the dose keeps getting higher. And please consult with your vet.

9. Jen and Milo P.

Jen and Milo P. Member

Hey yeah, no offense taken. I didnt mean to ome off harsh. Yes, I spoke with Carolyn yesterday. I am trying to access my stupid sreadsheet but cannot open it to update it. Ugh.. Anyway, his number yesterday were PMPS-340,Then 5U of LAntus, +2-350, +4-335, TODAY-AMPS-449!! Jesus, I dont know why the serious jump in numbers. CArolyn is supposd to meet him this weekend so we will see. He could be Agro. Poor guy. :( But its getting easier to test after the first few tries. Sorry if I came off harsh, i didnt mean to..

10. Jen and Milo P.

Jen and Milo P. Member

This is his 3rd type of insulin. Every time we started at one unit. Except for this one, Lantus. He has been on insulin since dx-9/09. Anyway, we have gone from 1 or 2 units up to 9 units. His BG has always been high. No curve. He was flat last night with his numbers in the 300's, and a HUGE spike to 449 this am before shot and before food. He was just upped per vets orders on Monday from 4 to 5 units.

11. tuckers mom

I understand why you're questioning dropping the dose, but I believe you stated that the first insulin you started on was at 2U and then raised from there.

The problem with that is yes, you could have an Acro cat or Cushing cat, but first you may want to determine if your cat is experiencing chronic rebound. If given too much insulin the liver could be protecting the body by adding more glucose.

I believe an IGF-1 test can be run to determine if your cat is Acro and Carolyn has an Acro cat so she can help you with figuring that out.

ETA: here's a link regarding Somogi Rebound: http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Somogyi_rebound

12. Jen and Milo P.

Jen and Milo P. Member

Yes unfortunalty that may be the case.. The first insulin ever we went very slow. Starting at 1U. Then working our way up to about 9U, which was the Vetsulin. No changes. And he kept getting worse. :( So, I dont plan on really doing aything, yet. I have consulted with the vets for months. I did ask about Agro and cushings, but she said she didnt believe he was insulin resistant, so didnt want to test for that. We may push for that test after Carolyn sees him. I am leaving town for 10 days in one week. Talk about bad timing.

13. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

We have another cat in a similar position. Problem is, neither of you were hometesting from the beginning and you both have switched insulins and gotten to high doses. She, however, gets a curve, whereas you don't seem to. So now it is tough to sort out what is going on because the data is missing...we don't want to ever put a cat at risk but it is very difficult sometimes to know whether a cat is overdosed or under dosed. From Carolyn though I understand that your cat has some of the characteristics of an acro cat...hopefully she can help you get a handle on this soon!

14. Jen and Milo P.

Jen and Milo P. Member

yes.. the roman nose.. which I never heard of, lol, so she will have to look at him, and he does have a pot belly, which I kept asking the vet about, but she said everything inside felt ok. who knows.. it just looks as though he is always bloated with lots of water. :YMSIGH:

15. tuckers mom

Just want to point out one thing, you were not hometesting on the first insulins. You could have missed the correct dose at the very beginning. Testing at the vet and curves at the vet are not optimum because of what I call White Coat Syndrome, vet stress. Stress naturally raises BGs.

You are doing great by learning to hometest and once you take your vacation and get settled, things will fall into place.

If you have an Acro cat, we have a High Dose insulin support group that will be able to offer their own expert advice. I'm no vet or expert, but I have seen cats getting insulin and experiencing FD symptoms that really didn't need the insulin.

A cat that I just adopted in December was getting 2U of Vetsulin twice a day, since the very first day he came to my house, Mr. Darcy has not needed any insulin at all since he came home. Before my house he had increased urine and water intake.

16. Jen and Milo P.

Jen and Milo P. Member

the white coat syndrome..lol..I have that now too.. sheesh.. for the bills anyway.. Yeah he frekin the vet, he gets nasty as all hell. PZI may be the way to go, but I hate to be switching back and forth. I may switch him back to PZI since he got better results with that. I will call the vet today.

17. tuckers mom

PZI, you may have seen faster results, I know I did, but we are now on an insulin similar to Lantus and love it. Tucker no longer has the big drops, it took a little while, but his preshots are now in the mid 100 range and he no longer has "curves" he stays pretty steady and feels pretty darn good all day long.

Again, no expert here, just telling you what I've seen with my FDs.

18. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Been talking to Jen and..

I put her through the ringer yesterday. :mrgreen: Got her whole history, and agree fully with you guys that the dosing her vets have promoted has been aggressive and not something we would necessarily do here. That said, the symptoms Milo is experiencing right now are *possibly* indicative of a cat not getting enough insulin. He's got rear end wasting, constantly hungry, drinking a lot, peeing outside the box, weight loss and lethargy just to name a few. I know that some of these symptoms can also be hypo and I warned her of that, but they really don't fit the pattern and they also don't really fit the pattern of chronic rebound "symptoms" (and I use that word loosely). I am really curious to see what our future tests will show us, so far he's high and not moving so much. Jen has been doing a fabulous job picking up plenty of tests, and she is an extremely proactive mom.

I told Jen yesterday that I don't want to give anyone the idea that because I have an acrocat, that I will assume everyone else does too. Jen will confirm that I was relentless in making her recount every symptom and every step of her diabetes journey from Sept to now and that I was less than happy with the dosing recommendations of the past. LOL Another thing that might be throwing this whole thing off is that he does get some dry food along with his wet food. It is a lower carb variety.. but.. Due to allergy issues, we're going to have to be very helpful to Jen so she can get him foods that won't hurt him. He is allergic to at least chicken and turkey.

She is going away this weekend for a rare visit with her hubby, and boarding Milo at the vet. When she gets back Monday I hope we can help her with diet ideas for her allergic diabetic. :D I am going to visit with them on Wednesday and I'll be boarding him for the 10 days that Jen will be away too, starting next Friday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.