NEW SUGAR MOM NEED SOME GUIDANCE!! NERVOUS

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by RochellenJelly, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RochellenJelly

RochellenJelly Member

Hello all,
    I am Rochelle and I found a little guy now named Jelly Belly outside by a river bank alone and unable to move hind end. This was April.28 he was tattooed and picked up by the humane society. He was kept over the weekend and no owners could be located. I put up posters and worked with local lost cat alert to further search because it was discovered after being vet checked he was diabetic and had neurological damages due to not being controlled and as a result because of his age and diabetic needs he would not be a good candidate for adoption and was going to be euthanized, as i am an animal lover I could't let this happen. Thankfully the community and winnipeg lost cat alert helped with supplies and testing meter and donations towards vetting. He came home and was on lantas 2 unit twice a day. I am home testing pre shot everyday. He was doing well then fell sick and stopped eating we did everything even tried syringe feeding :( he was admitted and was dehydrated and had mild UTI he was kept there on fluids for 4 days. They said he could be managed on Purina OM weight management food and no need to test ????? we came home and followed these instructions however he began to act funny so i tested him and sugars were high so i called vet and he said one unit twice a day and no need to pre shoot test but i do anyway... hes now on fancy feast about 2.5 3 cans a day varying kinds and i believe to be low carb based on food list.

i need advice with dosing properly and when not to shoot based on tests pre shoot and number jelly5.jpg jelly1.jpg jelly2.jpg jelly3.jpg jelly4.jpg and the right fancy feast for everyday use and when not to shot and or what foods for emergency situation

thanks sooo much

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Rochelle from a fellow Canuck.

First off, high five for home testing. Don't stop doing it regardless of what the vet says. Best tool we have for keeping JB safe. I see you have a spreadsheet and signature set up so I am going to ask it you decided on what protocol for the lantus you will be using. Both will require the two preshot home tests and 1 mid-cycle test but dose changes are done differently.

I am too new to give dose advice so I hope someone comes along with more experience. However you may want to post into the Lantus forum with a question on dose to get a faster response.

Any of the pate's work. I know it says classic on the list but it is labeled pate here in Canada. Jones is on it and is his go too when he doesn't feel good. Many pet guardians here use it. Really - anything under 10% carb - but try for 5-8%. You will want to keep some higher carb 15% or so - which would be with the gravy around to help steer the numbers if JB drops too low too fast.

3. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Welcome Rochelle and Jelly Belly! We are glad you found us and Jelly Belly is a lucky boy that you found him.

He likely has diabetic neuropathy which can be resolved with giving him Zobaline and also getting his numbers under control.

It's a little too soon to worry about dosing methods. We need to let new members settle in a bit and get used to the routine of testing, feeding, etc.

Rochelle....since this is just the welcome forum, I would suggest that your next post be on the Main Health forum where they can help you with some more of the basics before you move to the Lantus and Levemir forum which is a bit faster paced. We assume there that you have the basics under your belt (e.g. When to test and how to feed). Of course, any time you can't get a response on the Main Health forum, you are certainly free to post on the Lantus/Levemir forum. And again....you might just want to post on Main Health for a short time until you feel a little more comfortable.

When you do post on the Main Health forum, you'll want to link this thread. You can do that by opening this thread and copying the browser address. Then go to Main Health and start a new thread as you did here. Put the cursor in the text box and type "previous thread". Then highlight those two words, click on the hyperlink icon (looks like a paper clip) above the text box, and paste the browser address you copied there. Click "insert". Any time you start a new thread anywhere on the forum, it's best to always link the previous one.

As far as dose goes, it's good you reduced him. Based on his BG and how bouncy he is, he could possibly have gone a little lower than we might want so to keep him safe, it's best to reduce a bit and see how he does. If he goes up into pink and yellow and stays there, we can take him back to 1u but let's give him a chance to clear his bounce and see what he does.

Good advice to always get a preshot test and at least a midcyle test during the day to start. If you work, you would want to get an "out the door test". It's always good to get a "before bed" test at night. As you learn a bit more, we will likely refine the testing times.

See you on the MainHealth forum!

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Kudos to you for taking in this poor kitty. I suspect he was abandoned by his former owner(s) because of his diabetes. We can help you get him on track. He's very cute!

5. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Rochelle and Jelly Belly :bighug:. Very kind of you to take him in and care for him! Glad you also ignored Vet's advice to not test before giving insulin, still confuses me why Vet's are against home testing. Looking forward to helping answer some of your questions on Main Health forum! Great job getting Signature and SS set up :woot:.
    Only thing I will give you a link for is this: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-treat-hypos-they-can-kill-print-this-out.15887/
    Better to be prepared but I hope you never need it :smuggrin:

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

You're an angel for helping this baby! You'll get lots of help here!!!! Definitely start the zobaline.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.