New to all this: Help please

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by run4life10, Jan 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. run4life10

run4life10 New Member

My cat Pumpkin was just diagnosed today, and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with everything. First, I'm feeling incredibly guilty for not knowing something was going on and getting her checked out sooner. I first noticed about 3 months ago that she suddenly and drastically lost weight. I had been keeping the food bowl up on a side table to prevent the dog from getting it. Around the time that Pumpkin lost almost half her body weight over a 2-week span (she was a bit overweight for her size so she definitely had it to lose), I started noticing that she was begging more, and it seemed like she was having trouble jumping up to her food. When I realized this, I assumed it was just aging, and I moved her food to the floor. Fast forward a couple months and she had not gained back any weight, but seemed at leas to stabilize. But she has still been ravenous and seems to have an insatiable appetite. She had always been a good eater so I didn't really think much of this, except that she was not gaining back any weight. This, in conjunction with what seemed to be arthritis in her hind legs (she's been increasingly unable/unwilling to jump up on high surfaces, she just claws and cries when she wants to be picked up) prompted a visit to the vet the other day. They took a blood test and it came back today that she is in fact diabetic. My head is spinning and I have so many questions:

1. Where can I find cheap medication? I almost fell to the floor when faced with a $300 bill today at the pharmacy and learning that I will be looking at this every month for the foreseeable future. Google claims that monthly costs for managing feline diabetes average more in the $20-$30 range. Can someone please tell me where Google gets their feline insulin??

2. Does diabetes explain Pumpkin's inability to jump? This is something I probably again went way too long without noticing because she's always been overweight, a bit clumsy, and more than a little lazy. She would always prefer to be lifted than to have to jump. But recently, no matter how much I try to coax her, it's like she just can't jump. When she gets up on my bed, she just climbs the blanket using just her front claws and it's like her back legs are just along for the ride. The vet had seemed to agree with the diagnosis of arthritis in the hind legs, but can't diabetes cause nerve pain in the legs? If so, is this something that is likely to improve once the condition is well managed? Should she be on any pain medications?

3. What's the prognosis? Can cats still live (somewhat) normal lives with this condition? She is only 9 now, and I'm looking forward to many more years with her. Does this condition limit their lifespan?

Please, any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

1. Which insulin? ProZinc the best price is chewy.com lantus the best price is mark's marine pharmacy in Canada. They deliver to the US. As long as insulin is kept in the fridge it can last a good 4 months.

2. Could be arthritis but definitely could be neuropathy. The solution is getting into better bg range with insulin and adding a b12 methylcobalamin supplement such as Zobaline from Amazon

3. Cats with diabetes can live long healthy lives. It is not a death sentence!!!! We have folks on here with cats diagnosed 5-10 years ago!! Also many cats (not all) experience periods of remission where they are diet controlled.

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Since this is a welcome board I suggest you write your questions on the main health forum where more eyes will see it.

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! You've come to the right place. :) This is the welcome forum so lengthier responses can be made on the main health forum. I'll give you some quick answers for now and you can repost on the main forum if you have more questions.

That sounds like the price of Lantus in the US. Many US users of Lantus order it for half that amount from a reputable Canadian online pharmacy. The supply lasts up to 6 months if you buy a 10 mL vial or up to a year if you buy a 5 pack of Lantus pens.

Yes, it can be the reason for her difficulty jumping. Diabetes can cause neuropathy especially in the hind legs. The way to improve or cure it is through good regulation of blood glucose levels and supplementing with vitamin B12.

A well managed feline diabetic can live a good, long healthy life. They are more fragile and are susceptible to some complications if the diabetes isn't treated well enough or consistently enough.

See you over on the main health forum.

5. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and your kitty. You have already gotten some great advice and there is support from a great group of knowledgable pet parents here. There is a lot to learn, but things will get better.

If it is Lantus insulin (sounds like it may be because $300 is avg rate in US), for sure Marks Marine pharmacy in BC Canada is the way to go for future purchases at 60% cheaper than US including shipping. Ands as Janet and Kris mentioned, it will last a long time if properly stored and handled. If Lantus, the good for “28 days” on the label is meant for human users that do not refrigerate it, this has been confirmed by numerous sources, including vets:)

6. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and Pumpkin :bighug:

Our first diabetic boy was in and out of remission from age 12 to his death (unrelated to diabetes) at 17. Whisper was diabetic at least three years before we got him, and now three and a half years since, and still going strong. He is healthy, fat (a little too much) and very happy. You will hopefully have many more years with your baby :)

7. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

With good care (and just a little luck) many cats can live long and happy lives with diabetes. Testing of blood glucose at home (much easier than it sounds!) really helps with managing the disease and keeping kitty healthy.

My own cat was diagnosed at age 8. He was insulin dependent for 11 years, and finally went into remission about 14 months ago. He is now 20. He's quite frail these days and has a few other health issues going on but he's still soldiering on and doing 'cat stuff' and enjoying his life.

Eliz

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.