New to all this

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lisa and Smoky, Sep 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm Lisa and my cat smoky was just diagnosed on Sept 1. He started his insulin injections today and I am a nervous wreck already. I am worried about paying for all his medical supplies and trying not to go into panic mode. Any advice or suggestions for me? Thanks a bunch.

Attached Files:

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    What insulin are you using? Good insulins are the human Lantus and Levemir and the pet insulins ProZinc and BCP PZI. For those two human insulin it is best to get the 5 pack of 3 ml disposable pens via a 10 ml vial. Although per ml the vial is less expensive most cats will not use up a 10 ml vial before the insulin goes bad/becomes ineffective. The human insulin N/NPH is sometimes prescribed but only lasts 8-10 hours. Same for the pet insulin Vetsulin/Caninisulin.
    Many of us here order Lantus and Levemir from Canada
    http://www.rxcanada4less.com/search.php
    Much less cost than in USA

Most of us here test our cat's blood glucose at home using a human meter. We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/What are you feeding? A low-carb canned is best. No reason for a prescription food. Here is a list of commercial low-carb canned

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/shortcut-shopping-list-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Lisa,welcome to you and Smoky. Sorry about the diagnosis but you've come to the right place. Are you home testing Smokys glucose? It's easy to do and it's the best way to keep him safe and know how well the insulin is working. It will also save you money because you won't have to take him to the vet for expensive glucose curves or fructosamine tests. If you have any questions, come over to the Main Health forum where there are lots of folks very knowledgable in all things feline.

4. Lisa and Smoky

5. Lisa and Smoky

My vet gave me vetsulin for smoky, two units a day, twice a day. He was on a high protein low-carb canned food diet for several months prior to his diagnosis. He also has food and outdoor allergies and a tendency to develop struvite crystals in his urine. He is 11 and the vet doesn't have me testing his blood sugar at home just yet. He has me coming into the office once a week for that.

6. Lisa and Smoky

Thanks so much for the info. The vet has me coming to the office once a week for testing his sugar. He hasn't even shown me how to test his glucose yet. I will check out the main health forum. Thanks again .

Sharon14 likes this.
  7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Vet stress can raise BGs by 100 or points, That is why taking BG at home is best.

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I know you are concerned about the money.... We all are.... But testing at home will not only be more accurate but will save you the cost of all those very trips to do curves (that are not reliable when done under the stress of the vets office). It is really nerve wracking those first few weeks.... I promise it gets easier. Testing at home will take away that stress of you fearing they will hypo because you can head it off before it happens, and lower or raise doses.

My cat has been on vetsulin since may but I didn't home test until July. I wish I had started sooner! In my signature beetle you can see my cc is doing really well now. A lot of people here will say vetsulin is not the best choice, but it works great for me and several others on here. You really just have to see how your kitty does.

9. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

My Callie is taking Vetsalin. She is doing well with it. It seems to last 11-12 hours. Sometimes I have to give her a reduced dose because the insulin hasn't worn off yet. Testing before feeding and giving her the shot will keep her from going hypoglycemic. That can kill. With all the help that you can find here, you will find the sugar dance is easy.

JanetNJ likes this.
  10. Lisa and Smoky

Thanks Donna,
    I am looking into taking my smoky to a more modern vet practice that specializes in diabetes in cats and dogs. My current vet doesn't seem to think I need to check my boy's sugar at home. The new vet is going to show me how to do that on Friday when I get back from my vacation. Smoky went from 12 lbs down to 8 and a half lbs in 4 weeks. He is in the hospital where he is getting special care to help him put the weight back on. I miss him terribly and can't wait to pick him on on Friday. Can't quite figure out why it is posting reply twice

Attached Files:

Sharon14 likes this.
  11. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

He's really gorgeous

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.