*new to at home testing*Trouble with getting enough blood for a test strip

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Brittany Conroy, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brittany Conroy

Brittany Conroy New Member

Hi all,
    I am new to at home testing. My husband and I have been trying for a couple days to get readings out of our lulu. However, we are experiencing that we are not getting enough blood from the ear or the paw prick with the relion prime meter. I tried massaging the area before on her ear and it just isn't enough and after the poke. Same with her paw.Im wondering if anybody has any advice we really need to get her readings??
    Thanks in advance!!

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you tried warming the ear (or pawpad) really well? It can make a huge difference!

You can use a sock with a little dry rice in it (microwave to heat, test like a baby bottle against your wrist to make sure it's not too hot) or use a small pill bottle filled with warm water (again, test temp first)

3. Jerry dutchboy

Jerry dutchboy Well-Known Member

Hi, if you poke the ear hold your finger under the hole and gently massage above the poke site downwards. The blood flow from the tip down. Warming the ear makes it bleed a bit better. As you test more the ear grows more capillaries and it will get easier I promise.

The best of luck.:)

4. Jack the Cat

Jack the Cat Member

I would use a bit of petroleum jelly on the edges of Jack's ears which helped the blood pool enough to get enough for a good test.

Brittany Conroy likes this.
  5. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

I feel your pain with the ReliOn Prime, I got one of those first and got error message after error message, not enough blood
    luckily the Walmart still had a ReliOn Confirm on their closeout shelf, it takes the smaller blood sample like the AlphaTrak and the Freestyle Lite

(it's been discontinued but you can still order the strips for it, online at Walmart, they're RolledBack -- also I see someone at the Supply Closet has them for sale, close to expiration date)

even so I still get error messages now and then when Catcat flinches or shies away or jerks ...

sometimes I have to poke two or three times in the same area, to get droplets that flow together to become big enough for a valid test (while swearing)

I got a pair of infant socks, filled one partially with rice, the other with oatmeal -- awkward to warm these in microwave which is downstairs, but I got a coffee warmer (candle warmer would work better) and plunk the socks on it, for days when Catcat's ears are not as warm as usual

Brittany Conroy likes this.
  6. Brittany Conroy

Brittany Conroy New Member

Ugh, yes it makes it so so so hard to test her. I am trying the sock trick tonight to see where we get. I need droplets like you said to get enough so maybe I'll poke 3 times in the same spot to get enough. I am not sure what else to do... its already hard enough to test her

7. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

it does get better -- believe in yourself -- some cats really enjoy the warm sock

8. Jill & Pansy Panini

Jill & Pansy Panini Member

Hi Brittany,
    I am sorry for your plight - I use the AlphaTrak - and I put Neosporin with pain relief on several toes just in case - and I have the Lancet set to 5. Some toes aren't good bleeders so I try another one. I also wrap Pansy up in a towel and hold her like a baby to reduce squirming.

I have not been brave enough to try the ear yet...

I'm rooting for you and Lulu! And I'm glad you have someone to help you.

Jill

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

What size lancets are you using?.
    The 26 and 28 gauge lancets are the best ones to start with.

JanetNJ likes this.
  10. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I agree with above. Try a thicker lancet

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.