New to board, in dire need of guidance. Cat having some issues.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Meowrissa, Apr 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Ugh...I wish there were more people around this morning! I know on Lantus that they give doses at lower numbers than we do on the other insulins, but I'm just not confident about my knowledge of Lantus to give advice. Let's try tagging someone who looks to be online right now.....
    @Kris & Teasel , are you around to help with this?

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

It's been awhile since the last test, can you test again to see if she's rising?

Djamila likes this.
  3. Djamila

Quick Summary:
    Izabelle was recently hospitalized with DKA. She is on 1u of Lantus BID and just started home testing yesterday. Been on Lantus for about a week.

Yesterday at 2 hours before shot time, she was at 125. This morning at pre-shot she's at 163. Those are the only two tests.

4. Djamila

Hooray! Thanks Sharon!

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm here. I just dosed Teasel on an 86 this AM. So, yes, you can do it if you have a lot of data and know your kitty. Will go look at the SS.

Sharon14 likes this.
  6. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Well don't get too excited, I don't give dosing advice.:facepalm: I see @Bobbie And Bubba may be on

7. Kris & Teasel

Oops! No SS. Based on the BGs stated in post 103 above, I'd say that 1 u can be given provided that Izabelle's bean can test at +2 to see where she goes. Kitty needs insulin after DKA. I really hope a SS appears ASAP!

Sharon14 likes this.
  8. Meowrissa

Meowrissa Member

I just started testing yesterday but am keeping track of all numbers an will create a ss soon. I'm currently trying to get her out from under the bed to retest her.

Sharon14 likes this.
  9. Meowrissa

Meowrissa Member

Giving her the 1 unit now. Just tested her again came in at 241.

10. Djamila

Definitely do that first, and take care of giving the shot (whatever it ends up being).

But after all of that is settled, click here: Spreadsheet

That will give you directions for setting up the spreadsheet (you'll need a google account). If you need any help, just ask. There are people who can help you with it.

11. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Not sure if we've talked about this yet but if you get lower PS readings, you can Stall.:cat:
    This means you do the PS test and example for this morning, reading 132. Do not feed meal (after test treat is OK), wait 20 minutes and retest. This helps you determine if the number is rising on it's own. The Spreadsheet and filling it with data will enable members to help give advice better in these situations :)

Sharon14 likes this.
  12. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow, these are some mighty fine numbers Izabelle is getting on the Lantus!

13. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Glad some other peeps were around to help out this AM. Congrats on home testing as it is so important to keep kittie safe. Based on the fact that she is recovery from DKA it is very important to get enough insulin in. You could have probably shot the first number you got this morning as long as you could continue to monitor today. Not enough insulin + systemic stress or infection + not eating is the perfect storm for developing DKA again.

If you start posting over in Lantus Forum, you will get a lot of experience eyes on you and Izzabelle. So glad you found this forum and keep asking questions. We are here to help each other.

14. Meowrissa

Meowrissa Member

I will switch over to the lantus forum soon. I'm still learning the in's and out's of the board and reading all the information yu guys have posted for ne. You've all be so incredibly helpful! Iz has been improving tremendously and her appetite is through the roof, which I guess is a good thing. This morning she was at a 348, but I think that's because she was eating all night (she ate 2 cans of her food, and the other cats food...). I gave her the usual 1 unit. My fiance just tested her and she's coming in at 141. She's due for her lunch now, but I'm worried that it will send her bg up and she isn't due for her shot until 8pm. Any thoughts/suggestions?

15. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

How many hours after the shot was that reading of 141. That is quite a big drop and although the number is safe enough, if it is early in the cycle you may need to do some more checks. Lantus is a long acting insulin which means that you can feed for kitty in the usual way...except for the 2 hours before doing a prehot reading. Many kitties do much better eating a number of smaller meals rather than 2 large meals.

ETA It would be VERY helpful to get a spreadsheet set up. If you need help getting it started there are some very techie people on here that can help you. That way any member will be able to see what has been happening with numbers right away without having to read back through a lot of posts. This is very important in order to be able to give proper and safe advice.

16. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi there, you don't want to withhold food because the BG might go up and especially not with a cat who is just recovering from DKA. Remember, the recipe for DKA is in appetence + not enough insulin + system stress of infection. So, please feed her all her regular food and let the insulin do it's job to bring her BG down.

Could we get you to start a Spread Sheet for us so that we are better able to help you help Iz?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    Reason for edit: to correct typos
  17. Tuxedo Mom

Thanks for posting that Bobbie. As Bobbie said it is more important to keep a kitty who had DKA eating on a regular basis than to worry whether the glucos numbers would rise.

Nan & Amber (GA) likes this.
  18. Meowrissa

Meowrissa Member

The 348 reading was at 730. The 141 ready is from about 5 minutes ago. I am going to do the spreadsheet, I've been writing everything down in just haven't had to to input the information yet. I'm testing her as much as I possibly can. Unfortunately my work schedule makes it so no one is home from 815- 330, 4pm. If her readings are high again later, should give her a little extra insulin or just leave it be?

19. Kris & Teasel

Stick to two doses a day, no extra insulin.

20. Tuxedo Mom

Since I am in a different time zone I can't tell how many hours since the shot the 141 is. We use AMPS for the morning test time ( PMPS for the evening test time) and +1 +2 +3 etc for the number of hours since the shot so that anyone will know the time between test no matter what time zone they are in

ETA do not give extra insulin in between normal shot times

21. Djamila

22. Meowrissa

Meowrissa Member

Okay so original reading of 348 was at 730am, the 141 is +8 then (I think I did that math right). I have the spreadsheet link and will try to get that set up this week. Life has been very hectic the past couple of months as I'm planing my wedding, dealing with Izabelle, I also have a chinchilla who has been in and out of the vet and a dog with a herniated disc on top of work so it's just been crazy!

23. Tuxedo Mom

WOW..you certainly have your plate full!!! Planning a wedding is enough to make you want to tear your hair out without all the rest!!!

If the +8 test was 141 it is possible the numbers may have been even lower earlier, but it is not possible to say for sure without a spreadsheet and data. If you get an unusual preshot test tonight, stall WITHOUT feeding and retest in 20 minutes after the first test. If you are unsure what to do please post for help.

ETA Congratulations on your up-coming wedding [​IMG]

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  24. Meowrissa

Meowrissa Member

Okay so here's a picture of my analog spreadsheet lol... what do you guys think? I did the stall and retest because of the 99... she's do to eat and shot right now 1492473881961-1967800356.jpg .

25. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Nice handwriting.
    She came up 20 points so is hopefully on the rise. The onset of Lantus is about 2 to 3 hours after injection, and she should come up further in that 2 to hours after eating her dinner. Is she eating fine? Can you test tonight and do you have plenty of supplies? With the recent DKA, you don't want to be skipping shots.

Nan & Amber (GA) likes this.
  26. Meowrissa

Meowrissa Member

Haha thanks! She is eating great and I have plenty of supplies and can test a couple of times before bed.

27. Meowrissa

Meowrissa Member

Hey everyone I need some advice... I tested Izabelle pre food and shot tonight and she was at 393. It's now +2.5 and it's at 452. If anyone is on, could you please advise on if I should do anything or just continue to monitor? Thanks! Also, will have my spreadsheet by the end of tomorrow!

28. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Just monitor, nothing you can do Marissa...it's OK...

HUGS and off to bed I go...mine's at 241 so I can sleep.

Yong & Maury GA and Djamila like this.
  29. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Probably a dreaded fur shot, just make a note in your SS :). You'll get back on course this morning. Never try to re-shoot because you don't know how much insulin may have been injected :cat:. Looking forward to your SS getting posted! I went to look at it after reading about last night then realized I still have to wait :smuggrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.