New to Board/New Diagnosis - question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by TanyaK, May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TanyaK

TanyaK New Member

Hi all,

So my cat has just been diagnosed with diabetes. He is 10.5 years old. His blood glucose was 480mg/dl, everything else was fine. He was prescribed Hill's m/d and insulin glargine 1.5 U twice a day.

From hearing and reading all the information, my main concern is of course hypoglycemia. The vet told me that if 30 minutes after the shot he appears normal (no hypo symptoms) then I don't have to worry about it. But after reading about the insulin glargine this doesn't make sense to me. Since its a "long acting" insulin, and the nadirs occur several hours after a shot.

My main concern is that, say I give him his shots 9AM and 9PM daily. Say after the morning shot, I hang around and leave my house at 10-11AM, then what if at 3-4PM he has low blood sugar and I am not home.

In your experience with this insulin, if your cat went into hypo when was this in relation to the shot?

Thanks,

TanyaK

2. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Hi, Tanya! I am thankful you found the message board, there are so many educated & experienced people who are here to answer all of your questions & give you the support you need. We all suggest you switch your kitty over to a low carb canned food (under 10 on the foodcharts) or a Raw Diet & not feed the kibble your Vet suggested/sold. Food Charts
    Also, it is impossible to answer your question, because kitties can go hypo at any given time, we REALLY strongly encourage home testing. Do you plan to do this? There is so much to learn, please click on this link to help - there is great information there. You will want to begin posting in Lantus Land, since your kitty is on Lantus. Curious how your Vet got to the starting dose of 1.5 as well!! I have to run to a meeting, but others will be by to help too!!

Lantus

3. gingerand((calliope))(GA)

gingerand((calliope))(GA) Member

When you read the newcomer thread, take a look at the things to have on hand in case you suspect that your kitty's blood glucose is going too low. We have a recommendation on what to use and what to do. It will help you, tremendously.

Also, please read about testing for ketones, since you are in the early stages and the number at the vet was elevated. It's important to test for those. If you have questions after you read the information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Some other folks will come along and have other information for you. Someone may have posted to you while I was writing! I had some work interruptions!

You will find this place to be a good home for you and your sugar kitty. I'm glad you came here.

4. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness, it sounds like your vet doesn't know the insulin they are prescribing. Tho a hypo situation can occur at anytime during the cycle (every cat is different) the typical low spot on Lantus (the nadir) usually around 5-7 hours after the shot. I am glad you found this site and are educating yourself to help your kitty. Read all the stickies in the Lantus Support forum. I think I read for 3 days straight after finding this site.

All I can say is home test, test, test. It is the best and safest way for you to know where your kitty is and be on top of reacting to low numbers. It is also, IMO, a key to regulation and possible remission. I would usually test my Smokey about +2 or +3 and then leave for work. If she looked to be dropping to much too fast, I'd wait to keep an eye on her.

5. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Tanya, you have gotten some excellent advice. Have you seen the Lantus support group board? The stickies at the top will give you lots of info: viewforum.php?f=9

Everyone is urging you to hometest and I will join in. We changed Oliver's food from dry to wet lo carb. His numbers went down 100 points overnight. If we hadn't been testing, we would have given him the usual dose and he would have hypoed. This site is a great introduction to hometesting: http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/harry/bgtest.htm

I still remember how hard it was to take advice from strangers on the internet instead of my vet. We love our vet but she doesn't deal with many diabetic cats. I figure she is like a GP -she knows a little about a lot of things. Everyone on this site either had or has a diabetic cat and has been successful in their treatment. The methods work. I am still paying it forward for the advice we were given in the beginning. It literally saved Oliver's life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.