New to Diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sandi Durtschi, Jul 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandi Durtschi

Sandi Durtschi New Member

Hello! My name is Sandi and my 13 year old cat Chancy, who was18 lbs, was diagnosed with diabetes on June 22nd this year. He's now up to 3 units twice a day and I'm not seeing much improvement. He also has kidney disease, of which he was already on a special diet for. We had him on Hill's K/D dry food since we never could get him to adapt to wet food at all. Since the diagnosis of diabetes we've had to get creative with food just to get him to eat. Since he lost a pound within the first 2weeks of being diagnosed my vet said diet aside, get him to eat whatever he'll eat since he had slight signs of ketones. He LOVES canned tuna. So he's been eating canned tuna and canned chicken mixed with wet canned food and it seems to mostly be working. However, I'm concerned he's still not eating enough. He doesn't have much energy and just lies around all day. Lost is the cat that used to have energy and run through the house every once in awhile. He has another follow up next week. But can anyone give advice to this very frustrated and stressed cat mommy? Especially on food. I've found that if the food doesn't have a strong smell he won't touch it.

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Sandi and Chancy!
    We can definitely give some advice to help you :). Head on over to Main Health forum so more eyes can see your situation and ask for some more information.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

4. Sandi Durtschi

Sandi Durtschi New Member

I don't know what stage as we caught it very early and have been managing it since he was diagnosed several years ago and has been stable ever since.

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I can almost guarantee of you get him on a diabetic appropriate diet you will be able to lower your dose. There are plenty of low carb low phosphorus foods... Or you can always add a phosphorous binder if your kitty needs to a food like fancy feast classic or Friskies pate. (I know you want to try to keep a ckd cats phosphorous levels around 4 or under. ). Unless he's in stage 4 kidnyey failure he doesn't need low protien.

Hills kd food is 35% carb. A diabetic cat should have foods under 10% carb. Here's a list that will be helpful.
    http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

Before you switch though make sure you are home testing because it will drop his bg levels a lot, and the dose you are giving now will need to be reduced!!!! To see how to home test I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.