new to diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by kimber, Sep 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kimber

kimber Member

my 10 year old cat was diagnosed yesterday with diabetes. i'm having an anxiety attack. i have a severe phobia to needles and anything medical, not even sure how it happened but it did. i am trying to think about how i can help him but i just start crying and shaking. he's always been an ill cat (allergies, thyroid, etc.) and i really want to do this but i'm completely paralyzed with anxiety. i know so many other people do this on a regular basis and it's a routine but i am having a very hard time even looking at the vial and syringes. i wanted to start him with his first injection at 7 pm since i have to leave for work by 7:15 am. he's really high in glucose at 530 but i just can't do this alone. i have lantus in the fridge. hugs, kim

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Kim,

Where do you live (city and state)? Maybe we have someone who lives nearby and they could come help you through the beginning parts of this journey.

3. kimber

kimber Member

I'm outside of Cleveland, OH. I have touched base with 2 people I sort of know who have dealt with it but I am really freaking out. My boy is so bad when it comes to some things, I can pill him just fine but I can't groom him or clip his nails without being attacked. I've had him since 6 weeks of age but he's just always been defensive about those things. At the vet yesterday he had a royal hissy fit, he was growling in his carrier half an hour after they did the blood work and urinalysis. I really wanted to start him on the insulin today but I'm just so emotional and afraid that he's going to fight me. I think maybe I should wait one more day.

4. kimber

kimber Member

My vet is open late tomorrow, I will call to see if I can bring him in after work and try it with them. I was too upset yesterday to truly pay attention, I couldn't even look at the syringe but I know I need to do this for him. He means the world to me.

5. Sue and Oliver (GA)

We may be able to help with a member nearby. Add Cleveland OH help needed to your subject line.

Sometimes the vet will let you practice with an orange first, to get the shot right. (Take one with you tomorrow.) And you can have him shave a place for you to shoot so you know you are aiming right each time. We gave Oliver his shot while his head was deep into his breakfast and dinner. He never blinked.

We do have tricks for even the most difficult cat. One is the burrito (you wrap them up in a towel with only the head showing) and the clothespin trick: http://www.felinecrf.org/giving_sub-qs_ ... _peg_trick Whatever your issue, someone here has dealt with it. Just breathe. You can do this. We'll help you.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi Kim,
    You know, a whole lot of us we're scared-to-DEATH with this in the beginning. you just have to trust us when we tell you it will get easier, then, even easy. Think of this as a growth process for yourself. You have to do it so you will. ok?
    Now did you see the video's showing how to home test..i can link them here if you like.
    Also, what exactly do you need for your hometesting...supplies wise?
    Honey, I know your terrified now...but you will look back on this..I promise, with great satisfaction :razz:
    Lori and Tom

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

kim, if you want to you can call me for your first shot? you really should shoot him.
    I'm preparing your kit right now.
    Wish i could hand deliver it to you and show you how everything is done...but you can call if you like.

8. Beth & Atlas

Beth & Atlas Well-Known Member

Kim,

Hi and welcome to the best and greatest group of feline handlers & helpers on the web.

I am located on the southwest side of Cleveland in Berea.

I have time this evening to come help you if you're a westsider.

Check your private messages.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

oh that's great...i sure hope she takes you up on that. nothing like a home taught lesson.
    that's how i learned.

10. kimber

kimber Member

thank you all for the support, i really do appreciate it. i'm just too overwhelmed today to try it as much as i know he needs it today. he really doesn't have too many symptoms, he's just drinking a lot. poor little guy has been through a lot, we've had allergy issues, elevated thyroid, major teeth cleaning and extraction that lead him to hate the vet. i have to leave for work by 7:15 at the latest so it's too late tonight, my vet opens at 1 pm tomorrow and they are open late until 8 p m, they are very caring and i think they'll let me come up to try. he's really a terror at the vet so i wanted to try it at home so he wouldn't associate it with the bad place but i just don't feel confident enough.

11. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Kimber,

Blue sent you a private message. (Look in the upper left hand corner of the page under the cat. It should say 1 new message.) She lives in Cleveland and is willing to come to your home to help.

12. kimber

kimber Member

i did see it, thank you:) starting to feel better, it's just a lot to take in given my major needle phobia, ugh.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

kim, try it. you are the mommie and you CAN do this...it really is sooo much simpler than it looks. if your cat is eatting they often don't even know you've done it. you pinch up a piece of fur---pokey---all done.
    your kitty needs you.

14. Beth & Atlas

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i packed your kit, all ready to go...now that is the harder of the two...you've got to master this part now so you'll be ready for part 2...
    we are here to hold your hand.
    we've held many many hands.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i did'nt notice..are you shooting lantus insulin?

17. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

I will tell you one thing I have learned about treating cats. VERY often, if you can make your intention firm, kindly, resolved and even talk through it ahead of time to yourself, picturing yourself doing things successfully, it makes a big difference in the actual doing of it. They sense your anxiety and insecurity and respond accordingly. So, practice being brave, purposeful and successful, thinking it through in your head ahead of time. Do not allow yourself to think of anything else than success, overcoming any fear. If you start going there, just think STOP and start again with purposeful, successful plans in mind. I know it sounds weird, but it does help.

18. Beth & Atlas

I am going to tell you a story. This is a story about my first diabetic cat. Her name was Tilei. She was such a great, great kitty for me, but when she was at the vet ...she was the devil on steroids.

One day she got real, real sick and her breath smelled like juicy fruit gum. I took her to the vet and he kept her for a few days. When he called me to come pick her up, he told me she was diabetic. She was so bad at the vets, they use long leather carhart gloves to handle her. The vet told me what to do, but there was no way they could actually show me. And the vet asked me very seriously if I would be able to do this at home. They were ready for me to say to put her to sleep on the spot.

I told him I had to try. I owed her that and brought her home. I hadn't found this place yet ...
    I searched online for video's of how to do this injection thing.

After watching them, I felt confident enough to try. What I didn't know...was if I would have a hand left after I gave the first shot. So, I put a can of wet food in front of her, prepped the syringe,...walked up behind her....tented the skin, and shot her. She didn't even seem to notice I was there.

Soon after that I found FDMB's. I learned about hometesting and for my Tilei it saved her life as she was so bad at the vets...they couldn't properly do the testing she needed. To everyone's amazement, including my own, she let me prick her ears, take readings, do curves...and even give her shots twice a day.

If you kitty is going to be all fractious at the vets...it will most likely look much more difficult than it really is. Even if you don't give a shot tonight...

Go on and take a syringe out. Take the cap off and look at it. Become familiar with the calibration markings. That syringe is your cat's lifeline to getting better, over on the Lantus board are examples of hundreds of cats who have been able to go in remission using the insulin your vet prescribed! That syringe is nothing to be afraid of...it is your cat's best hope. Take the first step tonight to overcome you fears.

You can do this.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yes, i agree with karen. the shooting should go---zip, 1,2,3 done. Truly. put his food in front of him (is he a little piggy, that always helps) and poof, you've done it.

20. kimber

kimber Member

thank you guys so much! lol fractious is the word my vet used. he was great though, he didn't seem to mind at all that my cat was hell on wheels...
    today i have been practicing pinching his skin all day to do the tenting. my boy has allergies too (feline hyperesthesia) and his skin is super sensitive so he's not happy with. i absolutely cannot brush him even. pilling is no problem at all so there is hope. i just need to feel more confident or i know it won't go well. he's very active and alert, drinking a lot is his major symptom.

21. kimber

kimber Member

this is probably answered somewhere else i'm sure but do you feed canned food at the time of the injection? i stopped canned due to BPA and thyroid linkage.

22. Sue and Oliver (GA)

We are big on wet, lo carb. See this website by a vet: http://www.catinfo.org Dry food is full of carbs and grains - like a human diabetic eating donuts for every meal. It makes a huge difference in the blood glucose levels. For Oliver, changing from dry to wet meant 100 points lower, overnight. That's why we say not to change to wet, lo carb until you are hometesting. If the blood glucose levels change dramatically because of the diet change, you want to know it and be able to adjust the insulin.

23. kimber

kimber Member

Right now mine are grazing all day, we don't have structured meals but from what I've read so far (in 24+ hours) one should try to feed actual meals especially making sure they eat around the time of the shot. He's clumsy so I can put the food up for the other 3 cats and he can't reach it. I did see the one vet's website about canned food being a cure all.

24. Sue and Oliver (GA)

A number of kitties (but certainly not all) have gotten off insulin within a few weeks of a wet lo carb diet. In some cats, it makes a huge difference. Whether you can free feed or not will depend on the insulin. Lantus users will be able to give you advice on that. It is easy to free feed with wet. We freeze cubes of food and let them thaw out during the day.

25. kimber

kimber Member

thank you all. going to get some rest as it's been an emotional weekend but I will be back. just pinched him a few more times and he's tolerating it a bit better. he's cranky but lovable:)

26. kimber

kimber Member

Yes, we are using Lantus. This morning I opened the package of syringes and held one for a moment. I practiced pinching his skin a few times with my fingers. He just so happens to be balding behind his shoulders on both sides so I actually have a pretty good view though he does have long hair.

Interestingly, I participated in a marketing panel for a pet supply company who is looking at selling plastic clips based on the clothespin principle and I do have numerous samples. Lori, I have quite of few of these and I would be happy to send some too you if someone else could use them for an unruly patient.

I almost tried doing it this morning, I was getting some courage but I was running late for work and did not want to be in a hurry. Logistically this is difficult for me since I am gone for over 10 hours a day for work and my boss is not understanding in the slightest, luckily I never have to work late. It will be done tonight either by me or my boyfriend, I will not let it go any longer.

Thank you all for your support. I am going to zone out at work today and visualize doing this successfully. cat_pet_icon

27. Carol-Charlie

Carol-Charlie Well-Known Member

Oh my dear, I lived for twenty years in Rocky River and Bay Village... but for the last 47... Twin Cities Minnesota... So I'm no help there. My Charlie was referred to by his diagnosing vet, as fractous, among other names, but my feelings are if he'd learned his name and quit calling him Smokey......

Anyway, my "I love you, but don't touch me unless I yell you to"... Don't try to pick me up... Don't expect cuddling... YOU'RE GONNA STICK ME WITH WHAT???" Charlie Bear... was very sick before I realized the diet I'd put his 22lb self on was not working well... he was sick.... so he did not feel well. I demanded a pill I would not be able to do needles... He gave me pills... I found FDMB... they said.."Pills do damage"... I got the syringes, the vial of insulin... and came at him with the attitude, that I was going to give him a shot of insulin. I picked him up, placed him on his little pink bathtowel (I told him it was a masculine color). He sat and watched me. I then laid him on his side (I don't know why, I just always did) pulled his skin to a tent and injected him

IMMEDIATELY... I'm joyous... MY GOD that was so easy!!!!,,, Charlie sat up and looked at me (he was 12) and gave me that... You are going to put me back on the floor look... That was it... The FDMB'rs started telling me I had to test his blood sugar to feel really safe, as I was worried about giving him too much insulin... I bought the OneTouch Ultra and test strips (have to be sipping stripps)... Then I looked at it on the counter for about a week, Same thing I decided I had to start... I heated his little ear with a hot water compress... I sang him his Charlie Song... and then pricked his ear... yeah.. blood drop appears... I sipped in up and waited 5 4 3 2 1... I had his BG number.... I gave him his shot...

I felt like singing I AM WOMAN HEAR ME ROAR IN NUMBERS TOO BIG TO IGNORE!!!! Acutally I did sing that while my dear husband laughed his head off... We tested and shot my sweet boy six plus years more... He broke my heart in August of 09... He suffered a stroke, I held him in my arms and told him of the magical land of Rainbow Bridge where he promiced me he would wait for me.... He was 18 years old.

You can do this... oh yes and guess what the added bonus... in cuddling him while I warmed his ear, and singing to him .... Guess who loved to be cuddled and came to be petted (but only with the lights out) and would cuddle with me. Well my eyes have sprung a leak, while remembering all his wonderful little ways of hiding how much he loved me. God bless you and I know you can do this...

28. kimber

kimber Member

Thank you for the stories, it's so helpful to read these! You're making me want to cry!!

29. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Kim I did almost cry at your emails to keep the newbie kit....NOOOOOOO, that's not what I meant. I just wanted to know if you would use it. Your already making progress. I want you to have the newbie kit. Where eles you gonna find a rice sock???
    I'm sorry I even asked, your obviously trying. That's all that matters.
    If long hours at work and testing regularly are a problem, perhaps PZI pro-zinc would be an easier insulin to use. It requires less testing and is more forgiving of a less than perfect 12/12 hour schedule.
    You can see how much we want you and kitty here. :YMHUG:
    Lori

30. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

This board is filled with confident caretakers and cats who are eay to test and get blood samples from... and most of them started in the same place you are! One day you will look back and say "Wow! Remember when...?"

For now, baby steps. Accept the help of people near you and start reading other newbies' posts and the FAQ. Educate yourself - knowledge helps calm a lot of fears.

You mentioned that your boy (what is his name?) has a lot of allergies? Did he or does he receive steroid shots for those? If so, you may be dealing with a steroid induced form of diabetes, and it can be temporary if treated promptly. Wouldn't that be lovely!

And if you are using Lantus, it is not as necessary to have timed meals. The faster acting insulins- like N- work so quickly that it is imperative to make sure food is on board before shooting. But Lantus is gentler, and the onset is slow, so grazing is usually OK. Of course, we suggest low carb canned or raw food for that.

Anyway - take a deep breath and know that you are among friends here.

Welcome.

31. kimber

kimber Member

His name is Mr. Bibbles, he just turned 10 this summer. The only cat I have that I adopted as a baby so he's been with me for a long time. I agree that knowledge is helpful with the fears. I was trying to read Saturday after the appointment and was just so overwhelmed with everything. Yes, he was on prednisolone but a very small dose (can't remember off top of my head) but the vet didn't think it was high enough to cause it. Last weekend I was reading about diabetes to try to figure out if that was his problem and I saw some information about that linkage so I took him off the meds. He was off for a full week before we did labs on Saturday. Without it he has feline hyperesthesia, skin rolls, tail twitching, etc. and he rips out clumps of fur and eats it. Some of it is diet related, I changed his food several times and it calmed down but never completely ceased. He went from one to two hairballs per week to maybe one per month. But they are massive ones and he spits up food as he's trying to get rid of it and walks around the house. Usually end up cleaning 5-7 spots per episode. I have 3 herniated disks and arthritis (at 35) so as much I try to avoid medication when unnecessary, the prednisolone was a God send. It all started when he was 6 months old. First vet said he was neurotic so I changed vets. He was severely ill after getting his 3 year vaccines at the 2nd vet so I changed to a 3rd, cats only vet. Poor guy has had blood work ups just about every other year to try to figure out what was wrong. When he was 6 we had to extract 4 teeth and do some gum surgery (probably from all the vomiting) thus began his vet hatred. The vet hatred has also extended to women over 50 so he hisses and growls at my mom when she is over. He's never liked children, even if they are quiet. My regular vet just happened to be out of town when he came down with diarrhea so I tried this new, male, vet. I like him a lot and I trust him very much. Despite his poor attitude the vet was still positive about treating him.

32. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

kim even more reason to do all of this without the stress of bringing mr. bibbles into the vet where his bg's will be higher due to stress and likely will be given the wrong dose.
    sounds like he really is YOUR baby and you've done so much to help him along health wise in his life. like someone said, i feel confindent you will look back on this 'blip' of diabetes and all the fear and overwhelming and say 'hehe, remember when...'
    just to show you how crazy we all were in the begininng here is some fun reading..i'll go find the 'dear mom letter' a message from your cat to you.
    hang on.

33. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

www.felinediabetes.com/dear-mom.htm

Dear Mom,

I know it's only been a couple of days, but there are a few things I'd like to tell you.

First of all, you really do have to calm down, because you're stressing me out.

Please at least let me get all the way out of the litter box before you start to inspect it.

Don't stare at me while I'm eating. It makes me nervous. I need a little privacy please.

You really don't have to follow me from one room to the next. I'm not doing anything that I haven't done a million times before. I'm still trying to catch those pesky fish that live behind the glass. I'm chasing the dust bunnies under your desk. I'm waiting to catch Libby (drooler) off guard so I can smack her and run. I'm doing all those catly things I've always done. I don't need a perpetual audience.

Just because I'm sleeping, doesn't mean that you need to wake me up and check on me every five minutes. I'm a cat. I sleep.

I feel hot because I've been lying in my favorite sunny spot in the office. Yes, that really is the only reason.

I know it would make you feel better if I slept in your bed with you, but it wouldn't make me feel better. I've never done that before, so it would feel funny to start doing it now. Besides, I really like my bed. I've had it a long time, you know.

It doesn't mean that something is wrong with me just because I don't want to play. Don't you remember the rules? When you want to play with me, I want to ignore you and treat you with disdain. I want to play with you when you are reading the newspaper or attempting to drink your first cup of coffee. This has always worked for us, so why would I want to
    change that now? So if I don't want to play with you, it doesn't necessarily mean that I don't feel good. It means that I'm just being the Rainbow I've always been.

Stop lecturing (boyfriend) every time you leave the house for five minutes. He has read everything you have. He was there at the vet's when you picked me up. He knows all the signals/symptoms of hypo, and he knows what to do. He knows where the syrup is. How could he not, since it's now in every room in the house. Remember when you told me that you would trust him with your life? Well trust him with mine. He loves you, and he won't let anything happen to me.

You know that pounding headache you've had since last Sunday? It might go away if you'd chill out just a little bit.

And lastly, every single sound I make need not be analyzed for meaning. Just because I speak to you, it doesn't mean I'm sick or hurting or getting ready to go hypo. I've always been a very vocal kitty. Sometimes a meow really is just a meow.

Love,

Your Sugar Cat

34. kimber

kimber Member

LOL Lori I saw that as I was navigating around the forums. It's so true:)

35. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

so kim, how's that pounding headache???

36. kimber

kimber Member

I'm just trying to keep calm. We will do this first injection tonight and if we fail then I'll take time off from work later this week and take him into the vet. I think he'll be fine with us, fingers crossed!!

37. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

You weaned him off the prednisolone rather than stopping cold-turkey, correct? (I assume the vet guided you regarding the tapering off strategy?)

For Charlie, ANY amount of steroid was enough to increase his blood glucose values.

38. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Kim you have many finger AND paws crossed here on the board that your first insulin shot will go smoothly...please let us know.
    I'm picturing you coming back here and saying, gosh, that was easy. ;-)

39. kimber

kimber Member

Ok after 2 hour commute home due to some major accidents i was way too stressed to try:( i showed my boyfriend some of the videos that were suggested by others and he did it very easily. Mr. Bibbles didn't care at all so I feel better that we have him started and he doesn't seem to care! I was so nervous I was shaking so I thought it better for me not to try today and unfortunately I had no time to calm down getting home from work at 7 pm, I have to leave a bit after 7 am so I was spazzing a little about the timing too. But first one is done!!!! I will try to do it myself tomorrow morning and I will have to tomorrow night as my boyfriend has to be somewhere at 6 pm so it'll be too early for him to do it. Knowing that Mr. Bibbles doesn't care is very helpful though. Thank you all again and I will update when I do it I promise!!

40. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

well how do you like that...big bad kitty did'nt even care about the shot...that is such terrific news. YAY!

41. Beth & Atlas

:thumbup

Ok...so your boyfriend did it, BUT you now Know it ain't no big thing!!!!

The first step on the road... dancing_cat

42. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ain't no big thang! :lol:

43. JacksDads

JacksDads Member

Looks like things are starting to get under control!
    I was so annoyed when I first got the BG meter—the directions I read about how to check BG with a cat were not very helpful, and despite having taken a few readings on myself (really helped me get over the anxiety) I just could not get more than the tiniest drop of blood out of Jack-o. Finally I read about how to find the vein in the cats ear (thankfully he's a ginger, so we don't even need a flashlight) and with Yoshi helping me, we hit paydirt. Point being: new things can be hard, and sometimes you can get really frustrated because you don't know what you're doing yet. Keep asking questions, keep trying and things get WAY easier.

44. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

some meters need less than others (blood) just the tiniest microscopic drop

45. kimber

kimber Member

LOL well it's up to me tomorrow night but it does feel as creepy seeing it done at home. Baby steps! Just started reading in the Lantus area, he did roll the bottle a bit as that's what they showed in the video but I stopped him quickly. Mr. Bibbles is now sleeping and I think I'm on my way there. Thanks all for your support! :RAHCAT

46. kimber

kimber Member

I've learned so much from this site already, thank you for all that you do!

47. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

creepy or fabulous? just how you look at it. mind over matter.
    i can even shoot myself B12 when i need to..never thought i could shoot myself!
    felt like such a growth spurt when i did it.
    just like everything that scares us at first
    you feel like a million bucks once you do it.

48. Putter

Putter New Member

Just wanted to say how much this website has been a lifesaver for me and I am a vet tech, buttttt....when my kitty turns up diabetic, I come unglued completely. I place IV's, draw blood, inject medications, give vaccines, give insulin, give allergy injections, assist in surgery, patch up animals all day long for over the last 17 yrs but when my cat is diagnosed with diabetes I completely wig out. All of a sudden numbers become my life, everything is recorded, analyzed, the cat (Putter) was already pretty spoiled but now it is on a new level. He is watched, listened to, fussed over, poked at constantly, all food and treats are over analyzed before they are even bought, his bed is fluffier and about now he is probably so sick of me fussing over him that he is thinking "Mom, I am fine, thank you for loving me but geeeeezzzzzz.....back off alittle, and calm down we are doing very well."
    The reason I am telling you all this is that I have to keep it together for my clients at work and work very hard at staying calm throughout the day at the clinic, so I am very surprised how wound up I can get with my wonderful kitty being diabetic, if it was not for all the great people on this website I don't know how I would be at this point. So, you sound like you landed in a good place, relax, have confidence in your abilities to help your kitty and you will do great.
    Keep posting, keep asking lots of questions and reach out.

I have shaved two areas where I shoot Putter just to make sure that I am hitting the spot when I give him his insulin. I am using Lantus (again after not so great success with Prozinc) and so far so good. It has been a roller coaster, I think more for Putter and my husband (having to listen to me and glazing over with all the #'s).

Best wishes and I admire you for reaching out. You will look back and see how far you have come.

49. kimber

kimber Member

Ok I did it! ALL by myself! I had planned on asking my boyfriend to watch me try but he was running late and in the shower so there was no time. I chickened out for a second walked upstairs and told him I was trying it then I went back down and did it. My hands were shaking a little so I had some trouble filling the syringe but I did it. And I'm pretty sure I didn't stick muscle lol. I didn't feel any wet fur so it did go in. I should have practiced last night on something but I was so exhausted so I practiced on the cat, he didn't mind at all. I will be home alone tonight so it's just me from now on but at least my boyfriend can be my back up when he gets back! Thank you so much for the support, it's amazing how much it helps. And it's so good to hear other people who were just as nervous be successful. Calling vet now to see when they want us back to check on his levels but I will do home monitoring too. dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat

50. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Woohoo! See it wasn't that hard at all! And yes it is scary the first time, even those of us that are comfortable with needles on a daily basis find it a whole different animal when it comes to our own furry kids, or even our non-furry kids for that matter. I know I have multiple tattoos, and several piercings, as well as being in college to become a Vet Tech so I have no fear of needles but when it comes to giving my furry kids shots, I still get nervous. So a few nerves in the beginning is perfectly normal. I think we all got nervous when we first started.

Mel & The Furry Gang

51. kimber

kimber Member

me too, 2 tattoos and a belly button ring but i was so much younger back then. we go back to the vet next Monday night to check his levels.

52. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

YIPPEEE! KIM i am sooo proud of you!!!!
    you've overcome a major fear...
    but now another awaits.
    you will be expected to become a member of the VAMPIRE CLUB

the drawing of the blood.....are you ready????

53. kimber

kimber Member

Blood doesn't really bother me oddly enough! It makes me nervous now that I'm not checking how the insulin is impacting him. Supposed to see vet next Monday for a check. 2nd dose by me in 20 minutes then I'm off to a cooking class I registered for weeks ago. I'd rather just stay home with him but I think we're doing it right since he already seems so much less frantic about getting water and food. Thank you all again:)

54. kimber

kimber Member

2nd pokey poke no problem:) he was sleeping on our bed and can't be bothered to come down for treats. doesn't even notice, it's wonderful!

55. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

kim what have we all been telling you.....see, easy as 1 2 3
    by pokes you mean shots right? not ear pokies

56. kimber

kimber Member

yes i mean shots. your one comment was "you pinch up a piece of fur---pokey---all done" and so i keep saying "it's pokey poke time" to him. makes me giggle. he slept on our bed the whole time i was gone but came down for treats, he's sitting by my feet purring away. and he's not begging for water or food at all, he seems content finally.

57. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

you must be feeling pretty good about this huh?

58. kimber

kimber Member

Yes, very much so! One of my other cats has some borderline kidney levels, she's been stable so far but at least doing sub-q if needed won't be so daunting! My mom's cat passed away from kidney disease, her vet had mentioned trying sub-q at home but she crashed really fast and I didn't have time to talk her into trying. So I know a bit about that too! He is non stop purring and staying by my side.

59. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

kim i don't remember, did i send you a newbie kit?

60. kimber

kimber Member

Hi Lori,
    You said you were going to, I haven't seen it yet but I'm all the way over here in Ohio.

He did get a little fidgety with me this morning but I took a little longer to find spot on him, he sort of got up just as I was pushing the plunger. I hope he doesn't start catching on that I'm doing something!!

61. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OMG of course, we had all that emailing going back and forth...so sorry how could i forget.
    my bad. yes you should be getting in tomorow i hope.
    can't wait :D

62. kimber

kimber Member

It's here today! Thank you!! That little toy must be loaded with kitty crack, Mr. Bibbles tackled the girl who was trying to take it from him. Then he batted it super hard. I don't think he's in a very good mood, I can see some blood under his chin so I think he was scratching. His eyelids are a little puffy and swollen, it's the allergies at work since he's not on the prednisolone. I really want to get some peroxide on his chin but he won't let me look at it, he just bats me away. He can me a very mean kitty at times. We're due for injection around 7 pm so I will hide the toy and hope that was making him cranky:)

63. kimber

kimber Member

fur shot, bummer. does that usuallly mean none of it went in?

64. Sue and Oliver (GA)

There's no way to tell, Kimber, but the "rule" is that you don't shoot any more until the next scheduled shot time. You just can't be sure and it's better to be too high for a while than too low. No worries - every one of us has had a "fur shot" at one time or another. It happens.

Time to start a new thread with your next question. This one is getting really long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.