New to FDMB - 5 days on Lantus

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by barbvinozmis, Nov 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barbvinozmis

barbvinozmis New Member

Hi all, My cat Ozzy, 13 yrs old, black male, 15.5 lbs, was diagnosed last week. Vet recommended 3.5U 12 hours apart. Things are going in the right direction so far. I was able to introduce some low-carb wet food but he is a dry-food addict so I have to give that as well - about 1/3 kcal from wet, 2/3 from dry (Glycobalance). He eats 2x/day the whole meal in one sitting. Then 15 min. later I give the shot.
    I am sooooo paranoid about hypoglycemia. I am not home for the 6 hr post BG check as my job does not allow that type of flexibility. I have been spot checking and I was hoping someone here can have a look at my numbers and let me know your thoughts. I actually reduced the dose last night to 2.5U but that i found was ineffective so I went back up to 3.0U this AM.
    I know the goal is to get around 100mg/dl but I would rather be safe on that journey to that number than sorry.
    Please any advise is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Barb & Ozzy!

Attached Files:

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    You seem to be off to a good start since you are home testing BG. Are you using a human meter or a pet meter like the AlphaTrak?
    All canned, low cab is best. I would use all canned. However, if you do that the insulin does should be reduced since otherwise Ozzy may go too low.
    Also, no reasone for a prescription diet. Here is a list of low-carb , commercial canned
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/shortcut-shopping-list-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/
    Also, 3 1/2 units of Lantus is a high starting dose.

It is relatively hard to read and interpret your spread sheet. One reason is that you are not taking a BG before shot.
    Many of use here use Google's Docs spreadsheet. Here is how to set that up
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

3. barbvinozmis

barbvinozmis New Member

Thanks Larry,
    I am using the AlphaTrak 2.
    I know the benefits of all canned food but eeven getting Ozzy to eat 2 small cans/day is tough - he has never eaten canned in his life.
    I tried the "sprinkle of Forti-flora" and that works a little. But he is PICKY - will not touch the lower cost brands or ANY pate.
    I thought 3.5U was a bit high to start - he is a little over 15lbs. he is a big boned cat - ideal weight is probably around 14.
    I will try out that spreadsheet - thanks for sharing.
    I am planning on doing a whole curve this Saturday, bleeds every 2 hours.

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.