New to FDMB and life with a diabetic cat...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Calli & Layla, Jun 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calli & Layla

Calli & Layla New Member

I posted on the Facebook group but was directed here too, and there's so much great information!

Layla is 13 and has a history of a bout of likely pancreatitis and a stomach ulcer 3 years ago that we didn't pursue treatment for at the time, simply treated with antibiotics and concluded if it was something more major (like a tumor) we would do comfort care. She rebounded great, gained weight and has been okay since.

A few weeks ago we noticed that she wasn't eating as much of her dry food - admittedly it was hard to tell because my kitties free fed and we have two, and their food had been in the basement until we noticed a drip in weight. We had a Golden that would have gobbled their food had it been accessible but he passed away in February after a long bout of refractory epilepsy (seems we didn't luck out in the pet health lottery!) Anyway we took her in with only those symptoms (finicky eating and weight loss) and her BS was 586. Not what anyone was expecting!

So we are on the wet food diet and insulin train. They didn't ask me to test at home but I got a glucometer anyway. Being a nurse with a previously medically high maintenance pet, needles and meds and testing doesn't freak me out as much as the price. I imagine we will invest in less cost prohibitive supplies and food in the future but for the time being I wanted to follow the vets instructions. We go back in two weeks to recheck. Did my first check with the Relion from Wal-Mart and got a 237 (about 3 hours post food and first dose of insulin. Just wanted to test).

Right now, we are on Hill's prescription w/d wet cat food 1.5 5.5oz can a day (for my 8 pound cat). Looking at the chart I realize that this is too high for carb content, but to be honest I've already paid for it and she likes it so I'll use that to transition off dry food and find a more suitable one in the meantime. I have another non-diabetic kitty that is finding the transition to timed feedings difficult, and wants to steal the wet food, so they both will likely be going to wet food. I'll take any suggestions on a less costly one that would be appropriate for both! Medication wise, we are on 1U Prozinc every 12 hours and will recheck in a couple weeks. In the meantime I am going to run a curve on my own so I feel more empowered when we go in and I insist on testing myself and switching foods ;)

NanD likes this.
  2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome Calli and Layla! :) It looks like you're well on your way to getting this under control. Please post all of your questions on the main health forum where they'll be seen by more people.

First, though, 1 unit of ProZinc BID is the recommended starting dose. Re food: many of us here feed Friskies or Fancy Feast pates to our diabetic kitties - no sauce/gravy types though (too high in carbs). These same foods are fine for all cats.

3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Calli and Layla!
    You've got a great mentality for this! Will look for your post on Main Health forum :bighug:

4. NanD

NanD New Member

curve test at vet is expensive, stressful for the cat and does not give true BG. Congrats on home testing. it's the best way to know your cat's true BG and road to wellness.

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome.... Well done testing from the get go!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.