New to forum and feline diabetes!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jake's Mom, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jake's Mom

Jake's Mom New Member

Hello everyone,

I've read some really informative posts here - I'm so glad I found you all. Jake was diagnosed with diabetes a couple of months ago, after a near-death DKA episode. I recently started to use the glucometer at home (I wasn't using the lancing device when I tried to do a curve a month or so ago and it was hell!) - since I started using the lancing device, testing has been so easy - I use an Alphatrak 2 meter sold to me by the vet.

With the consultation of my vet, his dose was slowly increased from 1 unit twice a day to 4 units twice a day. However, it seems to be too much. His last curve on Fri May 22nd showed numbers in the 3-4 mmol/l so we decided to bring his dosage down to 3 units twice a day. However, his numbers have been fluctuating quite a bit and I was advised to not give a shot if his BG is below 10 mmol/l. So now it seems to be down to 1 shot a day based on his BG readings. Now I am checking his BG everytime I give a shot. Under 10 mmol/l, I don't give a shot.

But I am still giving a shot if it is over 10. This morning it was at 18.2 prior to shot and breakfast so I gave him 3 units. I will check again in 4 hours or so. I need some guidance on how I continue with this...do I just check his pre-shot BG and give a dose based on that reading? I've been taking mid-day readings throughout the weekend. It has been as low as 5.4 and as high as 11.4.

Is he going into remission? His levels were as high as 28 when he was first diagnosed a couple of months back.

I won't be able to test his BG or give a shot for the next few nights. Is it ok if I skip a couple of nights based on his readings this afternoon?? I work from home most of the time but have an event I have to work at for the next two days.

Lots of questions I know...my vet has been super helpful but I don't want to bother her too much with all of my questions - and you all seem to be such a knowledgeable bunch.

Thank you!

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.
    See my signature link Glucometer Notes for reference ranges using various meter measurement types.
    What insulin are you using? Ideally, you want a dose that is safe to shoot twice a day. If you are skipping shots, you may need to reduce the dose by 0.25 to 0.5 units.
    He wot't be off insulin until regular dose reductions get to 0.
    What are you feeding him? There are low carb, over the counter foods available which may work as well as, or better than, prescription diets.

3. Jake's Mom

Jake's Mom New Member

Hi BJM,

He is on Lantus and started on Lantus at the end of March 2015. My vet is recommending that I still keep him on 3 units twice a day even those he's recently (this wknd) been at a pretty safe level in the middle of the day. Today I gave him 3 units at 7:00am (BG at 18.2 mmol/l - I'm in Canada so use this unit of measure) - and at 1pm, he was at 8.4 mmol/l. I feel like he could be going into remission? Or is it too soon to tell?

I plan on taking another reading in an hour or so and if his BG is still below 10 mmol/l, I will be skipping tonight's evening shot as I have no one to watch him once the shot is given (in case it is too much insulin).

I'm feeding him Purina DM dry and DM wet mixed with Fancy Feast (fish). Is that acceptable? I've seen on the forum some don't recommend Purina DM (esp dry) and that FF classic (chicken/turkey pate) is the preferred food. Or Friskies. My Jake is a kibble eater - he really loves it...and not a huge fan of wet food. Although he will eat FF. He's not really fond of the DM wet food.

I just want to ensure it is ok for me to skip shots based on his BG levels prior to giving a shot. He has really been all over the map this past weekend:

All measurements below in mmol/l
    Sat 5/23:
    8:00am - 20.7
    5:00pm - 20.1
    8:00pm - 3 unit shot given

Sun 5/24:
    7:00am - 7.1 - no injection
    11:15am - 5.4
    12:15pm - 5.4
    4:00pm - 15.7
    7:00pm - 19.7 - 3 unit shot given

Mon 5/25:
    7:00am - 19.4 - 3 unit shot given
    10:30am - 12.8
    4pm - 11.4
    7pm - 9.9 - NO shot given

Tues 5/26:
    7:00am - 18.2 - 3 unit shot given
    1:00pm - 8.4

Kind of all over the place, isn't it? Could he be becoming a one-shot a day cat?

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would reduce dose to 1 1/2 units

5. Jake's Mom

Jake's Mom New Member

That makes sense to me @Larry and Kitties - but that is not what my vet recommended....

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

What you want is a safe dose you can give consistently every 12 hours. Lantus only works for about 12 or so hours in the cat. If you are not shooting every 12 hours, then the cat's glucose is not controlled throughout the entire day. We have two protocols written up, based on veterinary research and experience of hundreds of people here, on how you can use Lantus safely to manage your diabetic cat.
    Human diabetics regulate their own insulin doses based on home testing, following guidelines for dose changes. That is what we do here, too, using the protocols.

7. Jake's Mom

Jake's Mom New Member

Thank you! So shd I decrease to 2 units or to 1.5 units? He is at 12.1 right now, up from 8.4, 5 hrs ago.

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

What does he weigh?
    What should he weigh?
    Which is lower?
    Convert the lower to kilos (pounds / 2.2), if needed
    Multiply by 0.25
    Round down to the nearest 0.25
    And that is how you calculate a starting dose of Lantus
    You've been using it for a couple months, so I'd possibly try 2 units to see if that gives you safely shootable numbers twice a day.
    It takes Lantus about 3-5 days for a dose change to stabilize, so unless he goes below 68 mg/dL or 3.7 mmol/L on on a pet meter (50 mg/dL on a human meter), keep the dose the same for at least 3 days.

Here are the 2 protocols for using Lantus
    Tight Regulation
    Start Low, Go Slow

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  9. Jake's Mom

Jake's Mom New Member

Well - I'm happy to report that after having completely removed dry food from his diet (he was on Purina DM and ate it very well), his blood sugar is pretty much normal even after just two days!! Only issue is he has not had a bowel movement in 48hrs...but I'm assuming that is because of the abrupt switch to wet. He has been off insulin for more than two days now. I've been checking his BG every few hours for the past few days - and it has been hovering between 6.8 and 11.0 - vet says anything below 12 with just diet (and no insulin), she considers remission!!!

Let's hope he keeps this up. The info on this site has been sooo helpful - thank you everyone.

Any comments on the absence of a bowel movement would be most appreciated.

Thanks!!

10. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.